MasterPiece Voltron AWESOME (Pics Inside) Thanx CM!!!!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by kenm2474, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Awesome man. Congrats on getting them. He's quite the opinion changer once you have him in hand. Pretty much all the negative thoughts you get from looking at the pics fly out the window once you actually hold the guy.
    He's a breath of fresh air after spending over $100 on a vintage w He Man animations

Pics hardly do him justice. In person he's more impressive and smokes any other Voltron toy I've ever had. Especially the plastic TRU Exclusive which has been my fav over the years. I still like them all, but their BRICKS! MP almost makes em feel like KO's.
    Plus Poseability goes a long way. You know that feeling you get when you upgrade from Gundam seed to Master Grade? Yep, it's a similar feeling.

Never seen so many negative comments about MP Volty before. This is sad.
    (and some are from people who gave it a good praise in other threads)
    < confused.
    Must be a hate flu going around lol ,or some are just impossible to please.
    I blame the price.

2. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:

Yup, that's what kills it for me at least. It's a VERY nice toy, don't get me wrong, but it's not worth the pricetag IMO.

3. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    im kind of mixed with this one.... I mean, it looks fanastic and all, but $150+, I mean, Idk, is it really worth the money Kenm2474??

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Spent $300 on Star Saber, $200 on Victory Leo, $250 on Deathsaurus, $150 on Monstructer, $280 for Overlord etc etc (all bricks but worth it IMO)

So paying $130 for this was a pleasure & money justice. Finally I felt like I got my moneys worth instead of paying inflated vintage prices. Still , paying over $100 for any toy is too high in my book. Wish they were all cheaper.

6. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I was wondering the same thing about people who posted good comments about Voltron on previouse threads but post negative thoughts on my thread. Kinda makes me feel unwelcome in a way.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nah kenm2474, your not unwelcomed here.... some just need to have incredible toys that look great in every mode that they change into... myself, I like this, and you telling me that its worht the $150 price tag made me deside to get it, so where did you get yours by the way?

8. kenm2474

I was going to get mine from Digital-toys.com but I look on Ebay first and found a reputable seller who was selling a unopened Voltron for $135.00 with $15.00 S/H + $150.00. I hope you enjoy it when you get it. Congrats man its one Great Toy!!!!!

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    That is pretty impressive...but I don't think it's worth all that money...the proportions are terrible and it just doesn't look all that more impressive then the reissue one that came out about 5-6 years ago. Great pics though, don't get me wrong:) 

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, don't feel that way about it... no offense intended by anyone, I'm sure. The price tag has nothing to do with it for me, it's what I perceive to be the lack of effort in the 'upgrade'.

20th Prime and Masterpiece Exkaiser are examples of iconic toys that received truly mind-boggling improvements. I just don't see anything near those level of improvements here. This is a 2006 collector's edition toy that appears to be built on 80's toy engineering.

For example, here's a picture of the old green and yellow lions from an ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-VOLTRON-GREEN-AND-YELLOW-LION_W0QQitemZ6029970699QQcategoryZ2492QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comparing those to the pics you snapped above, and aside from the fact that your pictures are a lot better, I'm just not able to see anything that would make me choose to get this over a vintage original. Additionally, I don't care for the very plain face sculpt, the many opportunities for articulation that were missed (judging from the pictures I don't think the waist can even rotate!), and the aforementioned lack of sculpt and paint detailing in the individual lions.

For me, I'm just disappointed that I've been waiting for twenty years for a truly phenomenal representation of Voltron, and I hoped this would be it. It just falls very short of my expectations.

11. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    keep in mind, its considered a "masterpiece" because its meant to stay very true to the animated voltron, not a "uber detailistic decked out re-incarnation" [the term "Masterpiece" no doubt has a very different definition between toynami and takara (the makers of the holy MPC and MPB] anyways. you'd be silly to expect the same thing from two very different companies]

i, being one who has been on a huge voltron kick [watching all the lion eps and stuff :D ], would LOVE to get my hands on it

i have me the one they "reissued" a few years back and was seriously unimpressed. This, however, looks like its as awesome as a big bowl of sex >:}

soon as i get the spare ca$h i'd love to get one :D 

Voltron rawks! yeah!

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
  13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Knowing toynami they likely will not make those connectors metal. People complain that the ALpha MPC's had metal in all the wrong places and had metal just because people complained there was not enough diecast in their VF-1's. The diecast was not placed in "effective" or places where you'd think they outha put them for stability.

The biggest turn off on this thing is the price. Its known that toynami overcharges to make a big profit turnover on their part. 150$? They might be a smaller company than some others but thats a big investment. I myself have NEVER got my MPC VF-1s at retail and I would never pay full retail for an MPC, I will get voltron if I see him on clearance but aside that no. The articulation is VERY appealing to me, don't get me wrong, btu I have NEVER agreed with toynami's price rate. Stores must sell@msrp for at least 3 months, after that they can discount. A while back it was said that toynami would not sell the toy to etailers IF the etailers would not comply with this. A lot of etailers during the macross days wanted to sell the MPC for less. This is the sole reason you saw a lot of them offer the MPC at full msrp but offer free shipping. And this is the same reason markdowns came a minimum of 3 months after each release. So my advice is to wait 3 months and see what happens. Some of you may remember this, some of you may not. Remember how the MPC VF-1 was 80$msrp? The true price of the toy in actuality was 55$, but to make sure of a profit turnover, the msrp was 80$. I luckily got my skull1 at a sale fro 10$ during huge clearance delisting sales.

So to me the toy looks awesome, has some flaws(plastic connectors) but overall I am waiting. I just can't justify the price. If anything for toynami all I could ask more of them is to

1-lower the MSRP on EVERYTHING they make
    2-Put metal where it counts, not just cause.

and CM and ken GREAT pictures my friends.

14. kenm2474

Shin Densetsu I understand the price point entirely and waiting 3 months for them is a good idea to save money. My only problem with that is that last time I did that they became hard to find and were going for higher than the MSRP. Hence as of now tehhe Skull1 and Ricks VF-1J are now selling for over $100.00 and when limited to 15,000 and some retailers are running out of stock(BBTS) waiting looks like a bad idea. I also have that must get it now problem. So when I see something I want I dont let anything stand in my way to get it. But I understand you point fully.

Ohh and thanx for the Compliment on the pics. :D 

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hey, quik ? do the limb lions legs have any "hip" articulation like the black lion's rear legs?

16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    ken the reason the roy and rick MPC's are becoming high priced moreso now is because they are nearly 3 years old at this point(went fast huh?). BBTS was discounting a bunch a year ago, the purple YF-1R and max/miria going for 40$ apiece. Tmpanime.com had roy for 40$ as well.

Now that deep clearancing has been done for a while BBTS has gotten the MPC ricks they have now from other sources. Remember its been a long while since BBTS stocked fresh from factory ricks(3 years ago). They were out of RIck for a while so perhaps they got Rick from a trade? Who knows.

And thats the reason. Thy are basically vintage at this point, or not readily available at their choosing.So this reflects in price.

I did read at the site that their supply of voltron mpc is diminished and the remnants are being sold still while they last. So I can understand why you chose to buy it now. Its understandable man. Im gonna hold hope and hope I find one at nekocon on clearance. But I now my chances might be slim knowing how popular this toy seems to be

17. kenm2474

No they dont. They have knee and ankle joints and the 2 leg lions have shoulder joints that you can angle.

18. kenm2474

I was and didnt explain myself clearly enough. When I waited (1 Year) to get my Skull1 it was going for upwards of 90 to 100 on ebay which pissed me off so I know now not to wait to long on generaly hot items. But you make some very valid points. I hope you get MP Voltron at some point in time.

19. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just wish that they had put swivel joints into all the hips of the lions so that you could get some awsome poses out of them. and in his combined form his thighs do look a little skinny, but still a good looking form none the less.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i still don't see the masterpiece part of this masterpiece, i mean it does not look any better then the original, sure it is more possible, but it looks to be basically the same exact thing, for about the same price. natually, i would rather put my money up to a transformer combiner anyways, you always get more fun out of a bot mode lol