Masterpiece V2 Starscream Coming!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Jul 5, 2020.

1. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm also wondering why it was done like that----it's permanently attached to the canopy on the MP-07 mold. Does it need to be separate for transformation?

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just curious was the canopy opened up that far before the break?
    No it doesn’t, it’s always meant to move with the canopy so it might as well been permanently attached to it instead of clipping onto the hinge.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Just noticed this now, hard to see but Takara not only molded the gun port but also the barrels of the 20mm Vulcan cannon
    071B0682-6DA5-45FD-AE99-51BE5CA74311.jpeg

Did a fighter to robot to fighter transformation today. So, more observations:
    • When going from jet to get robot mode and to ensure that the edge of the wings (that connect to the intakes in jet mode and fold for robot mode) have enough clearance when going to robot mode, it’s best to completely pivot the shoulders forward at the butterfly joint. You’ll have to get the lower arms out before doing so. Once the shoulders are completely pivoted forward at the butterfly joint, you’ll have enough room to bend the red hinge assembly upwards at a 90 degree angle and be able to start transforming the entire wing.
    • There’s a lot of subtle movements needed for transformation, as in pulling/pushing against hinges and subtle lifting of parts over and under tabs. While the primary parts of transformation are largely intuitive, it’s the subtle tabbing/connecting that becomes counterintuitive(especially going back to fighter mode). Not sure if this is pointed out in text in the instruction sheet but it’s definitely not shown in the CAD drawing pics. Take your time to study the transformation back and forth as the subtle steps surprisingly are the ones that may slow you down(the major parts of the transformation are relatively quick by comparison).
    • The transformation is full of 90 degree and 180 degree pivots/swivels plus pushing/pulling of sections
    • 1 of the trickiest steps for transformation back to jet mode involves the last steps for tabbing together the left and right sides under the spine of the jet. The furthermost hinge(acts like an accordion joint in robot mode) is able to pivot back at an angle on a double hinge. It doesn’t give you much clearance but is just enough to let you get over the last left and right sections that tab in behind and underneath it.
    • When opening the canopy it will only go upwards at about 45 degrees and will stop at a detent. Don’t go beyond this as the grey frame underneath it has broken on some copies and I believe bending the canopy upwards beyond 45 degrees can snap the connection clip of the grey frame. That frame is always meant to move with the canopy.
    • Jet mode follows what MPM Starscream did in using realistic details(panel lining, overall sculpt aside from the exposed robot parts) for the jet mode but sacrificing the jet mode for an accurate robot mode(as in some robot kibble being visible in jet mode), but to a lesser extent than the MPM(which had the underside of the feet sticking out to the sides and clearly visible from the top in jet mode)
    • When pivoting the side lower torso flaps inwards for jet mode, you have to slightly pivot the upper torso flaps outwards to ensure enough clearance(the lower torso tabs have to clear shallow grey tabs raised on the ab crunch hinges). This won’t feel right initially since your pivoting against the hinge at its limit, but the only alternative is to fold against the raised grey ab hinge tabs, which will either wear them down or damage the lower torso parts in question.
    • I think the mold may actually be easier to transform yet just as secure in both modes if it’s retooled in the future with some tabs removed.

• Like Like x 10
  4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In this case, while they theoretically could have done more work to conceal some of the robot shapes in the undercarriage (like MP-3 did), they chose not to this time around because what's there is entirely show accurate, including the grey rectangular plate that covers the faux cockpit.

• Like Like x 4
  5. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    Urgh. Did my paint touch up yesterday, and all looks fine.

Randomly did a cursory check of the known issues and it turns out his left hand has (had? Not sure) the cracking at the same place as others. Haven't touched that part other than initial transformation...

Opened it up to see, and it came off in my hand.

So, glue it, or return it? It has a clean break, so it's a simple surface to glue and it fits perfectly.

What glue is likely to be the best? And have Amazon.co.jp even got replacements now?

6. Okicyurnatp

Okicyurnatp Banned

Put him to work

• Like Like x 3
  7. Samue1

Samue1 Not to be confused with Sam Witwicky

Great in depth observations! If you fold/unfold the jet’s spine panels fist/last in the transformations, you’ll no longer have to pull or flex any of the hinges that the wings are connected to. Going to bot mode; you can untab the faux canopy cover and pivot the nosecone down to unlock the spine panels. During the bot to jet conversion; lining up the tab at an angle and then flattening out the spine ensures everything closes up.

also that Vulcan cannon is one of my favorite details!

• Like Like x 4
  8. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Can you take a pic and post it here?

9. 4249david

Ebay:
    Here you go. I can also see a small hairline on the other side, too. Top left of the picture 16261877036672302242444079719104.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. 4249david

Ebay:
    The other side is just as bad, but hasn't come off yet
    16261880946272117857622075398506.jpg 16261881633492354642079402977348.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Yeah, I would try and get an exchange

• Like Like x 4
  12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Damn! Guessing this was caused by the installation of the hand/wrist, some of the other breaks I’ve seen there stem from those sockets that the pegs plug into. Guessing they were jammed in there at an angle during installation.

Were the cracks seen from within the forearm, viewable without the hand removed? Also were the hand joints pretty tight before the parts cracked off near the socket?

13. 4249david

Ebay:
    Cam anyone remember the option to choose to get a replacement? I've tried a few and only get refund options... I used a gift card, too (bought especially) so I don't even get the funds to buy elsewhere...

14. 4249david

Ebay:
    I could see the lower crack (those where it came away) initially. Once it cheap away, I noticed the upper left bit before removal, but couldn't really see anything on the outside.

Ironically, that one closed up fine (tighter, but not silly tight) on first transformation, and the other (right hand) wouldn't. I fiddled with that one, and it's now solid with no signs of damage. Typical!

15. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I go back and forth between being dismayed by breaks on these things to being amazed that the engineering is so good that it can have so many tiny, moving parts that have as a high a tolerance for ham fisted fiddling as they do.

16. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:
    Looks like Amazon JP doesn't have any in stock, which is why you're not seeing a replacement option. That's only available when the item is in stock at Amazon, and not 3rd party sellers.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Amazon is out so all you may be able to do is a return which isn't exactly bad as there will probably be another run fairly quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Just transformed. I can’t find any stress marks or breakage. Over I really like this figure but those floppy ankles are pretty disappointing considering the price.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  19. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    The plastic is just too brittle...

• Like Like x 1
  20. 4249david

Ebay:
    Weirdly, it comes up with amazon.com as a seller if I go buying options...

Edit. It's a marketplace seller but shipped by amazon