Masterpiece V2 Starscream Coming!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Jul 5, 2020.

1. MoonchildVic

MoonchildVic Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    I've been thinking, with all the reports of issues with this new SS I'm getting curious to find out if this is such a wide spread thing or just isolated cases flamed up buy the buyers disappointment (with reason).

Is there a way to create a pole where buyers can vote if their figure has issues or not, right out of the box?

2. franpincho

franpincho Luxurious

Mine is still as it was when I took it out of the box (as in, no issues) and everything is great.

Impossible as most MP52 buyers may not even be aware this site exists. We like to think TFW makes for 99% of Tf collectors in the world but sadly, that's not the case. We are lucky if we are even the 1%, IMO.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    MP-52 Starscream Flaw Tracking And Fixes Thread

Take into account, many of the reported cracks from the ankles are right out of the box. Also the amount of people that have voted in the poll to date. Not everyone that has the figure here has voted and not every lurker who reads it will sign up here and take part in the poll. With the cracks beneath the vertical stabilizer, if they aren’t cranked out of the box, the initial swivel to transform them for robot mode will show whether the cracks will form or not. Right side on mine cracked after carefully and gently swiveling it for transformation the 1st time but hasn’t cracked further despite repeatedly swiveling it back and forth quickly.

With the reports here and elsewhere, the ankle cracks and cracks beneath the vertical stabilizers are common. Parts missing or broken off are not. If you’re on the fence and found a place to order from, YMMV but I think the issues are prevalent enough that these aren’t isolated to just a few copies.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP-52 Starscream Flaw Tracking And Fixes Thread
    Got this so far.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MoonchildVic

MoonchildVic Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Even so, with all the talk around this on this thread, I was curious to find out what was the rate.

@Shin Densetsu @Nova Maximus thanks for sharing the link. Already casted my vote ;) 

6. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Yep, @GX9901DoubleX and @Liampope are correct. That pin SHOULD rotate with the ankle. Liam's illustration shoes it correctly.

But, @WinstoBot, you're also correct, that applying some tightening agent to the rivet head will still work, and it could work better than on the inside. Since you're still adding more resistance to the rotation, just in a different spot. I did put some there as well, and had decent results, but still not quite what I was satisfied with. But the pin does still need to rotate, as it should be acting like a solid piece along with the ankle, rotating around the cylinder attached to the leg.

Stealing Liam's drawing, the real place you want the liquid to get into is the space between the post and cylinder, the green lines. However we're only able to access where they meet, the red lines.

Now, in the vast majority of my experience, applying your preferred joint tightening liquid to the red lines is more than sufficient, but it's not working to well on Starscream. I'm guessing it's be because the liquid is not always making it's way into the post, and there's not enough surface area otherwise.

ankle.png

I do agree, a screw would have been much better! But that said, for as much surface area is inside that post, the ankle joint should, in theory, be nice and snug to begin with.

Yeah, Sam, I'm not sure what you're seeing either. All of your eyes look painted, and exactly like mine.

Haha, sorry! I couldn't unsee it either once I noticed it.

I think you will find that every single one of us would rather NOT have to apply any fixes, tweaks, etc to our figures, or deal with any QC issues. And to me, it doesn't matter if it's a $20 mainline deluxe, or a $200 MP.

But, in my decades of collecting, from a huge array of companies, properties, etc, I just quickly learned that is is just not the reality.

I do understand that everyone will have a different threshold of what is acceptable or not. But for me, to actually enjoy the hobby, I found it's just better to accept these minor little things, and fix them myself. Especially if I think it's an excellent product, despite the issues.

If I returned, or didn't buy, every figure that had a tiny stress crack, or loose joint, or paint chip, or weak ratchet, etc, etc, I'd have about 20 figures. And I think I'm being generous.

• Like Like x 14
  7. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Everything, right now, shining in hope.

News Credits:
    I completely agree. If I need to do a little bit of fixing to make a figure that to me looks perfect to feel perfect, I would gladly do it. Changing minor constructions and tolerances is much easier than changing a figure’s aesthetics. Same with paint. As long as the sculpt is there, if I am unsatisfied with the paint, as a mad titan once said, “I’ll do it myself.”

• Like Like x 6
  8. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

Yeah, looking at Liam’s drawing, it’s right. But as you said my attempts at Futuring the outside rivet head DID give me more results than doing it to in inside. It shouldn’t work so well but it does.

One word of caution for everyone. Don’t over tighten the (side to side) ankle tilt. I gave that joint an extra dose of Future and it’s scary tight. When I try to tilt the ankle, I can see the entire ankle cylinder twist and bend. That same cylinder prone to cracking is taking all the twisting. Bad idea.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  9. OCDChad

OCDChad Well-Known Member

So friction between the dark gray pin and the light gray of the leg is the only thing keeping the ankles from moving?

10. OCDChad

OCDChad Well-Known Member

No. There isn't a noise but it feels like there's a detention in there. But how do we know if there's supposed to be clicks or not?

11. Metallitron7537

Metallitron7537 Active Member

I posted this in the fix thread, but I got mine and the right knee doesn't have any ratchet that I can tell. Also the left wing tip thing fell off (I think this was my fault when transforming it) I should be able to glue it at the pin.

Ankles are a bit loose as well, may look at the polish treatment.

12. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    the right ankle has that pin rotate along with ankle which result in loose ankle , but the left one pin doesnt rotate , I notice it is significantly tighter and better feeling friction?

• Like Like x 3
  13. aurance

aurance Well-Known Member

That’s my point. I’m fully aware and am willing to do some fixes, and I have on a variety of figures from $10 to $250 just like you, but everyone’s threshold is different. But the degree of QC *should* be objectively held to a higher standard on a $200 toy, and my impression from this thread is not good. Talking about the figure on its own merits helps me make that purchase decision instead of the useless TT vs. 3p back and forth which mostly comes down to subjective aesthetics anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  14. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my second copy (because I’m a fool and forgot I had another preorder)

Canopy and tail fin area cracks out of the box
    ankles are just like my original. Aka: problem free.

A strange oddity I have is with the stands. My original can hold the weight of the figure like a champ, but my second copy has issues even with the screws tightened down.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Thank you Jarrod and @Liampope for the diagrams and tips!

I have now done around 4 coats of Kiki and 2 coats of Future and it's not enough. I had also put crazy glue on my right ankle outer cylinder that was cracked. I'm now at the point where I'm thinking about trying to remove the right ankle pin which is the worse one to see if there are obvious issues inside.

With respect to that flat head pin, I agree that it should rotate. That makes sense. On mine I believe the pin was rotating at first. I added a bunch of Kiki to that pin head and then it stopped rotating with the ankle for a while. At the time I thought that was a good thing but I wasn't sure. Now it's rotating again. What I'm wondering is if the factory actually put my pin in too tight (as opposed to the assumption of too loose). And it was so tight that the rivet wasn't turning well and it chewed up the plastic in the hole. That may have also caused the initial crack. When they shot the pin, the fixture they used for assembly may have squeezed the ankle toward the outer cylinder on the leg and crushed the cylinder to the point where it cracked? Maybe?

Anyway I'm thinking about removing the pin and attempting to replace it with a self-tapping screw for plastic like they use in the factory. The screws I typically use in my work actually have threads that are in a triangle shape instead of a circle if you look at the threads from the end. Normally you can't actually see that they are triangular shaped but they are like that to cut their way through the plastic when first installed. But FT Willis had a notorious issue where the ankle screw would loosen every time you turned the ankle joint. I'm concerned that the same thing will happen here and it may be why they went with the flat head pin instead of a screw there.

Thoughts?

Please see the earlier part of my post here about the pins. I'm really not sure anymore if those pin heads should rotate or not. I think it makes more sense if they rotate. Because if they aren't rotating it would mean that the pin is turning inside the part it was shot into and eating the material. Maybe?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Metallitron7537

Metallitron7537 Active Member

I took the right knee apart and no ratchet mechanism at all... guess I'm getting a replacement.

photo_2021-07-08_13-40-17.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  17. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that! That really sucks! :( 

• Like Like x 3
  18. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the topic of knees, if anyone wants to go through the hassle of disassembly all that is required for stronger knees is a higher tension spring.

since I got a second one I’ve started to use it for some experimenting :cool: 

Stretching the spring that’s already inside yields ok results.
    Unfortunately all the other springs I have on hand that fit are all way too strong and I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving them in. If I get around to it I’ll make a trip for some springs later and start testing which ones seem good

• Like Like x 7
  19. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

I have the same issue with my AmiAmi copy. Both sides though. He's back in jet mode now so I'm not borhered at all by it.

20. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was gonna ask the man @Jarrod what he thinks about that. Since he's had it apart - what's the thoughts on if a screw could replace the rivet and could that help people like Paco who are having no luck with fluid? Seems worth a try.

• Like Like x 2