Masterpiece V2 Starscream Coming!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Jul 5, 2020.

1. farrs

farrs Well-Known Member

Have i escaped the 7 year old factory workers attempt at a joke by putting dupe faces in? I havent seen whats under the jet mode yet!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    Looks good to me!

• Like Like x 2
  3. D1N0NLY

D1N0NLY Active Member

Hi, anyone having any issues where the side wings don't tab in in robot mode?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

I had a hard time with that tab on one side. The edge of the tab was even deforming a bit the harder I tried to press it in. I scraped that part with my nail a bit to kind of mush it back into shape.

After a while I was able to get it to tab in. After the first time I never had trouble. It just needed some wearing in.

5. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Not me.

6. 4249david

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Again, haven't got the time to transform my Cream yet but noticed a first, the instruction manual bag/parts is actually tied into the blister clam shell.

TT afraid to lose it?o_O :lol 

8. GX9901DoubleX

GX9901DoubleX Just a passing through rider...

It's been two days since I applied paint reducer into the ankle joint as noted in my post above, and the right ankle is pretty nice and tight while the left ankle is passable but not as tight as the right. In light of the disassembly pictures shown by @Jarrod, I think I probably got some paint reducer into the joint, but coverage is certainly not ideal. I did see a small stress mark on the left ankle tilt joint, but no crack, so maybe that's contributing to it being a bit looser than the right ankle. I'm going to try to get a few more drops of paint reducer into the left ankle tilt joint and call it a day, since it is good enough as-is.

Now that we've gotten a good look at that ankle tilt joint, I think the main culprit of the loose ankle syndrome for this figure goes back to tolerance again. I think the joint as designed probably should do the job (although it would be nice if the friction surface is larger by using a longer post in that joint), but because they can't get the tolerancing dialed in, many copies apparently have either the post being too thick or the hole being too small, so it stresses or cracks when assembled. Of all the joints to be loose, ankle tilt might be the worse one to have loose since it could mean that the figure can't even stand.

• Like Like x 3
  9. NSJ23

NSJ23 can’t think of something witty..

So my ankles are solid but i did find a white stress mark on one. no cracking yet, i did have to zoom in to see it, i didn’t want to move the foot to much avoid cracks or a break.

10. Adam Haberman

Adam Haberman Prime of Primes

I’ve transformed Screamer a couple of times now. The ankles are still a bit loose (I’m going to use some floor polish later). There are no cracks or stress marks in those ankle joints as of yet. Thankfully! The nose cone bit of the transformation is not scary anymore now that I’ve done it a few times (very slowly and carefully). I always try to apply pressure and force on the point of transformation, so I’m not too worried about breakage. The jet panels that peg into the back go in much easier now! Just takes some gentle and steady massaging into place before they are worn in enough to peg in with ease. The tailfin connections still show no cracks. No paint chipping anywhere. The only bit of paint wear is where the kneecaps shift but that was my fault and I make sure to shift them in a way that doesn’t do that now. After checking practically every joint and hinge, I don’t have any visible signs of failure. The scariest bit of transformation is getting the legs back into jet mode configuration…specifically the leg collapsing moment…but still not worrisome once you get the gist of what you’re supposed to do.

MP-52 is quite frankly my favorite Masterpiece in recent memory! He’s fun, surprising, and characterful! Bravo, Takara!

• Like Like x 10
  11. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    That is exactly what I did. Thankfully the rivet came out with no damage, but these types of pins are always a pain. I'd recommend heating it a little with a soldering iron, if you can. In hindsight, I should have done that, but was being impatient, haha.

• Like Like x 2
  12. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

That’s the reissue, to be kids safe. The original G1 SS had proper sized null rays.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Don’t trim them. Untab from the back and adjust the double hinge, it’s all about the angle the tabs enter the slot. I recommend slotting the dark grey tab before connecting the wings to the back. Fiddle with the double hinge & the angle of the dark tab - require a crazy amount of force like it seems at first.

• Like Like x 12
  14. Mike Witwicky

Mike Witwicky Loyal Lieutenant

Mine should be here by the end of the day. I like to keep my stuff MISB but I'm tempted to open it up just to make sure everything's OK, that there aren't microcracks on the body or duplicate faces.

I'm a little bummed to read about all of these little QC issues on people's copies but I'm still pretty pumped about getting this. I didn't have too many Transformers toys growing up but I did have an OG G1 Starscream and I loved the shit out of that figure, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  15. 4249david

Ebay:
    Did this exact thing this morning when I finally fiddled about to get the intakes pegged in. I'd actually got the double hinge and slider perfectly already, so no idea how I couldn't peg them in!

In any case, I'd struggled with the left one, but doing it this way they pegged in super easily and tucked up nice and tight.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

Improved ko half price?

17. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35 Well-Known Member

I love mp36 and Mp44 but I think mp52 may be my all time favorite transformer.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Ratzo99

Ratzo99 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything to worry about with QC on this. There are imperfections on every mass produced product...especially something built from a million little parts, all molded and ejected and trimmed and assembled in big piles by both human hands and machinery. I understand these things aren't cheap, but expecting perfection will only make a person feel hyper-anxious and prone to unnecessary disappointment.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hate to say this and I wouldn’t know this had I not collected WFC trilogy figures but Brian did mention Hasbro would cut costs at the end of 2019. He didn’t say where, we didn’t know where. Oh Hasbro you say, but they didn’t work on MP-52? Stay with me.

From SIEGE to Earthrise the big difference I noticed was with construction, less screws, MORE flathead pins/threaded rivets! Seem more prone to joint looseness, harder to tighten. I believe these pins are less labor intensive and are faster to install compared to traditional pins and screws. So I think these are part of the cost cuts Goldner referred to.

So where this relates to MP-52, is that I didn’t know Takara was going to use flathead pins/rivets on the Masterpiece line, I thought it was limited to mainlines(like WFC/Studio Series)! I didn’t get Hound/Arcee/Lio Convoy/Bee V2/Prime V3/Nemesis Prime V2 so I don’t know if they used flathead pins/rivets also.

The ankle joints for MP-52 should’ve been ratcheting joints secured by screws. If tension via posts was all that’s being used to maintain joint tightness, eventually they would loosen and the figure is top heavy.

It’s sad because if MP-52 was assembled with care, we’d be able to enjoy it to its fullest. For some of us(YMMV) the cracks aren’t damaging enough to ruin functionality. However those cracks should’ve never happened to begin with. I know Takara probably wouldn’t offer these prepainted but unassembled in kit form(to deter from KOs) but I almost wish they would so we could put these together ourselves(and use screws instead of rivets)! Would save them money on labor and hopefully they would pass those savings to us also.

• Like Like x 7
  20. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Sonnuva......
    You paid £18 pounds or so less than I did and you're getting it only 3 days after me...The joke's on me!

:mad: :lol 

• Like Like x 1