Masterpiece V2 Starscream MP-52

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Jul 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Well, the left ankle was cracked on mine too. At first I just used some Kiki's at that got it good enough, but I wanted to better check it out.

So I knocked out the rivet, to try and repair the crack. And this is why Kiki's, or another joint tightener won't really do the job:

20210704_151658.jpg

That post goes inside the cracked tube, and that is what should be providing the resistance. Plus, just the way it's designed, it's nearly impossible to get any joint tightener into onto that post, until you take it part.

Anyway, I super glued the crack, then filled it with Bondic. But the tube has already lost most of it's resistance, so I put some Kiki's down inside too. Holding really well so far, even after hammering the rivet back in.
    20210704_151615.jpg

Lastly, I was totally lying to myself when I thought I'd just let my mismatched red panels alone. So I disassembled as far as I could, and masked everything else off. I used equal parts Mr Color Red and Sazabi Red, to dull the bright red a bit. I painted everything that was already painted, leaving the bare red plastic still bare. I also did go ahead and paint the little bit of extra red around the hinges on the gray panels below.

20210704_090145.jpg 20210704_090213.jpg

• Like Like x 23
  3. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP52 Rocks!!! A00E178B-6806-4E73-807A-562B4CA4F3DA.jpeg
    Those fingers are made for shredding. Such an ambitious transformation, at times I wish I had more hands to hold all the unfolding parts. How about the formation of the triceps? Magic. I’m turning left, then right and out of nowhere, boom…it forms a tricep. The entire leg design is a masters level mechanical thesis. The knee pulls out and pops into place…what?!? That origami lower leg forming reminded me of MP Hound’s foot sequence, top notch folding and sliding precision. The marvel and simplicity of the null ray to rocket transformation, wow. Such a smart solution to a problem former versions just ignored. MP03 just gave separate rockets while MP11 only had null rays. MP52 definitely feels like an evolution from its earlier versions because it still carries some of the design tricks like the collapsable head and the placement of the canopy but everything is super refined. The wing pita bread sandwich hide away works surprisingly well. I feel a bit spoiled by all those faces and expressions it allows. It true Masterpiece.

My copy isn’t without issues but that’s part of the hobby. The first step is to tighten the loose right ankle. I’d hate to have it fall off the shelve with that weak joint especially it having a high center of gravity. I’m trying Future and can report on my results later. I have the tail fin cracks too unfortunately but everything else is good so far. Since AMJp is out of stock, I have no option to exchange it so I’ll just live with it. The rest is too awesome for these minor imperfections to bring me down from this high.

• Like Like x 20
  4. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    IMG_20210704_160633110.jpg

• Like Like x 23
  5. SeahawkSpeed

SeahawkSpeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    FE8DD582-5185-4C6F-B892-1DBCEE6B8207.jpeg
    Won the QC lottery, I guess. No cracks and one of each face.

• Like Like x 16
  6. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread is terrifying now! I'm genuinely apprehensive about just what is coming my way from AE! :( 

• Like Like x 4
  7. MoonchildVic

MoonchildVic Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    I'm back!

I finaly had some more time to mess around with my new SS, and my overall experience is positive.
    The figure is realy well engineered, feels solid for the most part, and the transformation sequence is pretty much straight forward, in exception for the nose cone twist and the compression part wich scared the hell out of me. Spliting the cockpit and rotating the nose almost gave me a heart attack because they were so stiff.

After spending sometime admiring the figure and watching some of the videos I noticed that something, when transforming him from alt to bot mode I saw that my wings were not sitting flush. I tried to force the dark grey tab into the slot but there's no way I could insert it all the in. Moved a couple of steps back to try to see what I was doing wrong and found out that the upper part of the slot is not completly straight... it has excess of plastic and it needs to be sanded.

PSX_20210704_214525.jpg

This was the best I could do to try to show it

20210704_214305.jpg

This issue also prevents the shoulder intakes from tabbing like they should.

20210704_211921.jpg

Forcing the tab into the slot left some damages, fortunately nothing major and hardly noticeable when you unfold the wing back to alt mode.

20210704_212040.jpg

Like i mentioned yesterday, other than this the only other issue is some light grey smudges on the left side hipskirt. It looks like it can be cleaned but for now it can wait until I fix the wings.

20210704_212256.jpg

Any tips are welcomed

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you look at the proto that grey tab isn’t suppose to go “completely” flush. If you’re having issues inserting the tab it’s because the double hinge that whole assembly of parts is on isn’t shifted correctly and is angled and off center.

The shoulder intake not lining up is because you don’t have the wing pieces extended correctly.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Megatron Unicronus

Megatron Unicronus Needs LEGO Optimus

News Credits:
    This thing looks great, too bad it’s both a QC nightmare and out of my price range. Someday, I hope to get it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    When you tighten the screws, you are making the ratchet a friction joint, that's why.

As TFW2005's ratchet joint e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶t̶ junky, I would say that the best ratchet design is the toothed plated type.

They are easy to recognize because they looks like this from the outside:

IMG_20210704_152426.jpg

11. tturbozx66

tturbozx66 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's pretty lousy. After seeing those pics I had to double check mine. Thankfully, no cracks and the future polish I applied to the three spots for the ankles are still holding up.

12. tturbozx66

tturbozx66 Well-Known Member

The armor can probably be forced into place. The tabs are a bit too thick for the slot. This is the most flawless MP I have ever received, aside from having two left null rays. No cracks, no paint issues, etc so I am just not willing to jam it in there. The crown's opening is too small for the head. It will fall over with the slightest movement. The cape is not happening without an adaptor.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MoonchildVic

Facebook:
    Sorry but this is a tight fit, if that was the case I guess that there was no way I could align the tab with the slot and plugged it. Besides the hinge that connects both of the long sections is making a 90° angle like it should.
    I tried to take a couple more photos of the slot from other angles to try to show what I was talking about the excess of plastic.

PSX_20210704_224907.jpg
    About the both pieces not being completly flush, ok I can agree with you that probably they are not supposed to be touching each other, but the depth of the slot is precisely the same size as the tab... at least more than half of the tab should fit easily.

The figure started to ship about a week ago, I think that It's too early in the game to say that, just because some of us pointed out some issues that are not that bad when compared to previous releases.
    If you are calling this a "QC Nightmare", i wonder what what you say about the issues with MP Hound and the first run of the MP44 KO.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Liampope

News Credits:
    QC nuclear armageddon?

• Like Like x 10
  15. Blingotron

Blingotron Too Poor For Floor Polish

Ermahgerd! Better cancel yours quick if you ordered one and hop on the DS bandwagon!

16. MoonchildVic

Facebook:
    At the least :lolol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Liampope

News Credits:
    Nah my Hound was fine. I proudly wear my 'I survived QC Nuclear Armageddon' T-shirt. I'm ready for MP-52. How bad can 'QC Nightmare' be when I beat Armageddon?

• Like Like x 6
  18. jon trooper

jon trooper Starscream addict

News Credits:
    which version of mr color red did you use? There’s so many

19. MoonchildVic

Facebook:
    That makes 2 of us. I transformed mine a couple of times and no issues. The only thing I've noticed is a hairline crack on the shoulder cannon assembly, where the screw is.

20. Liampope

News Credits:
    Have to leave some room for even worse! At this rate we best keep 'QC sudden sun supernova' available for MP Skyfire.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.