Masterpiece Ultra Magnus!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Fort Max, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, but in Japan they were planning a Chromedome repaint into headmaster Arcee, but it never saw the light.

For the others, the US could do Targetmasters like they did for MP Rodimus..

2. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no interest in getting an MP Magnus, but based on the proto pics, looks like Hasui and co. did another great job. Nice to know that they didnt take the easy way out by just makingbhim an MP-10 with snap on armor.

To all the people calling for characyers like Springer and Arcee:
    1.) We just got/ are getting good generations representations of them.
    2.) I would prefer if Takara does some more Season 1 characters before moving onto other autobots from the later seasons (ex. Jazz, Mirage).

3. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

It seems the "is Ultra Magnus a white Optimus in armor made from his trailer or a robot constituted of a cab and trailer" debate has calmed down a bit, but I felt like drawing this afternoon and made a little comic about what I find absurd about the latter alternative. No offense, Magnus fans ;)  Credit to Tfylulu on Deviantart for some stylistic inspiration!

Attached Files:

4. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really think it was a technical limitation. Maybe they couldn't get the articulation or the proportions right by doing the snap on armor. There would certainly be nothing easy about snapping that much trailer onto MP10

5. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Yeah. I hope that ends up being the case. Like I said those (what two episodes?) where she was a Headmaster really just seemed so shoe-horned in last minute to me. It really was just... bad.

Yeah that is another point. It didn't fit the rest of the Headmaster stuff. It just really seemed so weird. Besides I like how they did the Headmaster stuff in the comics. Much better. That 4th season (Or excuse for one) was just... weird.

I'd like other TF's too. But I'm fair game for getting some Movie/S3 cast mixed in there too. Spice some things up. Bridge the gap. Magnus is the first step. (Well ok you could say Rodimus was). It would be so awesome to have a "Movie" shelf where you could have Magnus, Hot Rod, Arcee, Blur, Springer and Cup. And that is just the bot side. Lots of awesome on the con side too. :) 

6. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

1) As cool as those figures are, I, and many other MP collectors, aren't interested in Generations figures. No updates or re-imaginings, thanks. Strict G1 aesthetic is what we want. And although the MP line is not without QC issues, they're engineered and built to a higher standard, made of more parts, more paint apps, fewer hollow limbs... mass market toys just don't fit. Finally, Hasui updated the line so that all bot modes are in scale to each other (roughly). Just compare CHUG Sideswipe, Prowl, Bumblebee, and Wheeljack to their MPs to see what I'm trying to get across.

2) I want 'em ALL!!!

7. Dean ML

Already got a movie/post movie shelf started! Rodimus Prime vs. SoundBlaster & Ratbat. Sometimes I throw Grimlock in there. Soon to be joined by Ultra Magnus and exo-suit Spike. I want more!

8. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well... If it doesn't have a transforming cab, maybe a 3P can make us a MP Minimus Ambus that can fold up into his cavity somehow... :lol 

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ There's already one that you can cram into Stack! Not by design but anything small enough can probably be stuck in there somehow. There's that Matrix cavity if nothing else!

10. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, there is one? I've never seen it anywhere, and I usually monitor BBTS preorders...

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I think it's a Shapeways product? It was in Peaugh's review.

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Nice! :) 

13. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Adding to the above - it looks pretty clear that the upper rear half of the trailer ends up forming the arms (notice the shape of his forearms in robot mode and compare to the upper rear portion of the trailer). The upper front half of the trailer appears to telescope-collapse to form those iconic shoulders. The lower half of the trailer appears to form the legs (again, compare UM's feet in robot mode directly to the lower rear portions of the trailer). The trailer has a lot of hinges and panels so it probably folds up on itself many times over (which you can see in the legs from the knee down) - a technique we've see many times now with MPs. What is hard to see is actually where the cab portion ends up in the robot mode. I wonder if the rear wheels of the cab end up on UM's back instead? I wonder too if the trailer actually needs to be detached and then added to the main body in a quasi-partsforming way, or if they managed to execute the whole transformation without the need to partsform.

Regardless I am excited for this release, it looks cool in both modes, looks like UM in both modes, so I'm happy. I never really "got" why he was often just white prime + armor so not having a standalone white cab is not an issue to me at all.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    For the zillionth time: where do you get the idea that the trailer would absolutely have to break apart for combination? Because that's what Fansproject decided to do with City Commander? People keep repeating that as the ultimate excuse to not have a transforming white Prime, but this is just silly. It would be easy to design a trailer that transforms into an articulated powersuit that doesn't need to be broken apart. Plug white Prime in there G1-style and you're good to go.

15. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Super clear scan. Scrutinize 'til your heart's content.

[​IMG]

16. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ great picture. He looks AWESOME!

I'm tempted to get a Magnus just to hold 4 of my autobots in his trailer

17. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Ha ha nice one.

Now I geddit, the Mp-10 face is just a gimmick, sort of a homage to the original toy (robot within a robot). No doubt it would be pointless for some but it's a cool gimmick nonetheless.

18. Dean ML

Thank you, sir!

19. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Yup. We can now see that the front of the cab brings part of the roof with it and hangs down Magnus's back forming that back/butt flap. You can see the windows and the part of the roof that goes with it.

So the cab goes flat against him. It opens up. No real chance for a smaller robot at all there.

20. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Image is not showing up for me. Could someone re-host at a different site?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.