Masterpiece Thundercracker 2.0 Incoming!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    Weirdly, my MP-11T was the sturdiest of all three in that bunch - maybe this guy will live up to his predecessor’s efforts in that regard. :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  2. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

We are doing it.

• Like Like x 7
  3. REDEEMED

REDEEMED Hold on to your innocence

Ebay:
    Honestly. I prefer the ‘hybrid’ styling of Skids rather than hyper toon. Skids is a character I have about zero interest in however I’d almost buy it just because of how great it looks and it’s affordable price point. Why can’t they just do every MP like this anymore? But that’s neither here nor there at this point I suppose.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Shockwave81

News Credits:
    It’s a long story with many years of debate under the bridge.

TT decided to go toon, fandom fractured - that pretty much sums it up. :lol 

Aside from the fact that I’m a toon guy, the toon approach helps the collection to feel cohesive which is a massive draw card on its own.

I’d say that it’s also an aesthetic that the designers can pick up and ‘simply’ fill in the gaps around it (specifically transformations) which is almost half the battle won, in my view.

As much as MP-10 (for example) was a solid and fun figure, he was ultimately just another re-interpretation of the character. MP-44 on the other hand almost walked off the screen, for better or worse depending on where you sit as a TF fan and collector.

It’s anyone’s guess as to which way TT will end up going in the years to come, but I’m absolutely not going to restart the collection if they go back to the earlier approach, will just need to move on with life. :) 

One thing I find interesting is that the MP BW figures don’t seem to draw anywhere near as much contention, despite the fact that the same design approach is being followed: on-screen appearance -> physical recreation. I know that there was a fair amount of inconsistency in G1 animation, but for the most part the MPs seem to be based on the finest efforts heheh.

• Like Like x 15
  5. REDEEMED

REDEEMED Hold on to your innocence

Ebay:
    Yeah don’t get me wrong either. I grew up with the cartoon and loved it. Still love watching it.
    i just think that stylistically speaking. ‘Like it walked out of the screen is not the best look for these MP figures. The detailing on the toys was fun and part of the experience enough when I was a kid that still when I see those figures it gives me a certain feeling just the same way that the cartoon does. Does that make sense?

6. Shockwave81

News Credits:
    100% makes sense. The nostalgia factor works differently in the fandom. Nothing wrong with liking the detailed approach. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From the initial announcement, it sounded like Skids exists partially because they want to be able to go back to more simplistic MPs, in some form. Possibly because they're starting to thin on "main" cast characters that they can feasibly charge top dollar for. Without constant retreads, they're going to have to start dipping into D-listers for "filler" releases between big-ticket Leaders and such.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't it also that Takara is following the trend in Japanese collectors toys for following original anime source material? I read this a lot but don't know first hand if it's true as I don't collect anything else.

Then, if that trend shifts, that'll be when TT shifts along with it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the earlier stuff translated into sells as well as people think, they never would have had a need to switch to toon.

I think they really do want to listen to input from fans and make certain characters viable. The fan base there is already smaller than what you would expect,with that being divided by people who are fine with a generations version.

• Like Like x 3
  10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, the retro aesthetic is huge in Japan. Look how many Mazingers and Getter Robos they can continually make and remake every year and sell out on, without revamping their kitschy 70s designs (even thought they often do that as well). The MP line performed well enough in its original forms, but TT proved they could charge top dollar for their product when they shifted to 'toon accuracy.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Shockwave81

News Credits:
    Now that you mention it, yeah, that does ring bells.

12. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm of the opinion that the characters to get the full 'Toon treatment are the more prominent characters in the show (and characters they share a mold with). You know like the 'Con triple changers or the '84 cast ( still some gaps, hint hint TT!)

Skids did not have a big presence in the cartoon, but his alt mode is iconic in Japanese car culture (plus anniversary of said alt-mode is a marketing match made in heaven). I have followed the MP line since the beginning and have not sold squat. They can do both toon and hybrid and I will be happy.

• Like Like x 4
  13. MoonchildVic

MoonchildVic Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    I'm loving the recent product shots, but I'm kind of "on the fence" for TC. My SS had no issues out of the hox, he is still OK, but it seems to me that TT didn't have the time to fix what they needed. Almost two months separate these releases, and my guess that TC was already in production when the started shipping SS. I better keep my fingers crossed for this guy, and hope I end up with a good copy.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MSWF377

MSWF377 Michael Scarn

Ebay:
    I have 2 preorders for this guy. One at pulse and one at GameStop . The one from pulse is due at the end of September and is full price. The one from GameStop is due at the end of October but is $50 less. I don’t know which one to cancel. Any chance GameStop gets him early?

15. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Having the toy match the media is a huge plus for me. MP-10 to me is a toy monstrosity that never existed in anything I watched.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mike Witwicky

Mike Witwicky Loyal Lieutenant

I fear we could run into similar if not the same issues with Starscream. If we do, I'm hoping it's not to the same extent. Maybe they'll address it with Skywarp but I wouldn't bet money on it.

17. Okicyurnatp

Okicyurnatp Banned

Is it October yet?

• Like Like x 7
  18. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    3AD2AF19-5645-4100-B075-0DAF6A68216F.gif

• Like Like x 11
  19. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits: