Masterpiece Thundercracker 2.0 Incoming!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Jan 7, 2021.

1. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I quite enjoy having all of my bots and cons smiling without any weapons displayed. Not always mind you, but most of the time. Makes the poses I put them in seem much more in line with how I saw them as a kid.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah I don’t like my robots being so serious all the time.

• Like Like x 4
  3. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    metallic psychos! Just standing around smiling for no good reason. Messed up kid you were ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  4. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    In the UK and Ireland the three-parter pilot was available on a VHS entitled Arrival From Cybertron, yup :thumb 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 22
  5. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't recall having the vhs, but I do recall it being called mtmte at some point. No idea if that was much much later on or what, though.

Perhaps I picked up a later version from the video shop? Or saw it on tv? I can't bloody remember at this point!

Bear in mind, if it's relevant, I was born in late August '82... so I wasn't watching it really until probably '86 or even '87, so that might explain why. I mean, I've got a picture of me with scorponok, which was my single biggest bot ever by a mile, but I don't recall ever seeing S4 as a kid (and definitely never saw JG1 until I bought the DVDs a few years ago). At least, not in the same way as I recall seeing S1-S3, anyway.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    The official episode names were 'More than meets the eye' but in the UK they came together as 'Arrival From Cybertron' on that VHS. If i recall it's technically the pilot miniseries for the actual main G1 show.

May very well have been other UK releases with the actual episode names on VHS too once the full series started up, and on TV probably shown separately with the names rather than blocked as a 'full length'. The DVDs have the individual episode names.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

Except this site and others literally called it "2.0" when it was released.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Guess they were wrong then :) 

• Like Like x 7
  9. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

Yeah, in fairness the creator's naming takes precedence.
    Also, MP-11 wasn't different enough to justify the 2.0 tag, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    While we all called MP11 a v2.0, it’s really more of a v1.5 since it is very much based on the original mold.
    In fact, despite release order, MP11 should really be the v1.0 and MP03 should be v1.5 since MP11 is based on the original sculpt and prototype before it was changed by (the outside designer that I can’t remember his name). (I believe there were some minor updates to that original proto but MP11 is significantly closer to it than MP03 is).

But either way, officially, via TT themselves, MP52 is v2.0. So no use fighting it. We can all move on with the new knowledge we now have.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

God I hope not. I hope they're just saving best for third, as we know they'll also be doing Thrust, Dirge, Ramjet, Sunstorm, Acid Storm....

These aren't new ideas. These are all toys based on 35+ year old characters. All they need for a "new" idea is to open up the 1984, 1985, or 1986 characters and pick one they haven't done yet. It really isn't that hard outside getting licensing agreements from some car manufacturers.

The new characters you haven't heard of, like Road Rage, are mostly repaint homages to the original diaclone toys. These cheap redecos help offset the high price of the development of a new MP toy. If a character has limited repaint potential, they will likely be put on the back burner. Figures like Prime and Starscream have the benefit of being extremely popular and able to be redeco'd into at least a half dozen toys.

I personally think MP10 was fine, but Starscream probably could have used an update. Certainly the MP style has evolved over the last few years, so I can understand why they may have thought it was time for those characters to get a refresh.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Yup there were a few more

https://twitter.com/grahamcaptures/status/1346816260856811520/photo/1
    [​IMG]

The three-parter was written with the potential to be a one-off since it even had a happy ending where the governments of the world had united and promised enough fuel to help the Autobots return to Cybertron. Not sure when the pilot was actually given the name More Than Meets The Eye.

• Like Like x 7
  13. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't imagine how many times I rented TFTM and the Revenge of Bruticus ones!

• Like Like x 6
  14. Chris C137

Chris C137 Have some self respect. Take the QC sticker off.

News Credits:
    All of my transformers VHS as a kid were recorded off the TV, complete with late 80s/early 90s Australian adverts :oops:  :p  I think the only official one I had was Key to Vector Sigma

Whilst I really don't want Thundercracker to be a TT Mall exclusive or designated as MP52+ (seriously, just give them their own designation, why do the Seekers get no love while Road Rage, Cordon and Exhaust get their own numbers?), part of me kinda wants it to happen just to see what silly combination of letters, symbols and numbers Takara can tack onto MP52-- when naming the rest of the Seekers :p .

• Like Like x 4
  15. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Born in July 82, and still have my childhood VHS :thumb 

976F2664-9C56-4B22-BD0C-2CA3E3CF7681.jpeg 0B55CB15-3C76-4630-8F28-32BA626AFF81.jpeg 8AAA63B2-34F8-4DA5-9186-E11E6D186104.jpeg 74B5DED8-20B7-45C4-AB6F-40F820565AB6.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  16. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Corvette Stingray,Lamborghini, and Lancia thats why they got their own number:lol 
    Don't really care if they are TTmall if it means something else gets put out because of the shortened run. Better 3 molds and a plus versus 3 numbered releases

• Like Like x 1
  17. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    If he is a TakaraTomy Mall exclusive he will definitely have a reused number. If not, it'll be a toss up.

• Like Like x 3
  18. The Allspice

The Allspice Seasoning is the right of all sentient beings!

Ebay:
    Kinda bummed about this to be honest. I love the 52 mold, but if TC is the same price point as Starscream, it'll be a pass for me. There's already too few TT MP Decepticons compared to Autobots. A third issuance of seekers doesn't at all feel like what's needed. Between that and the price it's starting to feel like they want us to buy 3P. I ain't got the Cheddar in this economy to spend 250+ on upgrading an MP figure that I already own, and that they keep making over and over. I know it was inevitable when they gotta squeeze a new mold for all they can, but man is it a letdown to see them repeat Decepticons for MPs again.

19. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd imagine it would work out cheaper this going into production the same time as Starscream? And if this sold exceptionally well would they make Skywarp a general release?They know what there doing about exclusives most end up fairly discounted on the japanese side. Even being mall exclusives I think these should end up the same price as a discounted Starscream.

With the anniversary next year, I wonder if they are trying to push the trio out to get to Cyclonus or Scourge, they've done a lot if the grunt work in SS86 already.