Masterpiece Skywarp - Hasbro Version

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CyberShadow, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    saw him about an hour ago from a local toy kingdom. he is inferior to the takara version except for the wing stripes. i love that the stripes are thick, painted and sticker-wear free. but he's more expensive than the takara version here so i'll stay with my takara one. its weird.

2. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    not digging the hasbro's purple.. but i think everyone who owns the takara MP will like it better, while those who havent got theirs yet will prefer the hasbro :D 

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Looks nicer than the Takara.

4. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I have the Takara and I'm quite happy with that. The only real complaints I have from what I see is the yellow eyes and the stripes don't match Starscreams.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why should they? They're following the G1 deco on this one. That's how the original Seekers were.

6. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

But these are man boobs. Which are not good!

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

this feels like 1984 again. I like MP Skywarp better than MP Starscream because he looks great in black & purple. This time I'll remember not to lose a wing or missle launcher

8. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I prefer MP Skywarp over MP Starscream too. The red plastic on SS looks a little cheap, but SW just looks more solid.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The G1 toy had yellow eyes (not that I ever bothered with the eye stickers) and actually it makes a nice change to have eyes that aren't red or blue. Of course that's personal opinion. :)  G1 Optimus and Megatron had yellow eyes on their toys too.
    I would've liked the silver arm apps though, and maybe something on the legs.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Picked one up today. Not much to say about the actual mold itself that has not been said in the past.

-Paint is really nicely done. Like MP Screamer, Skywarp's nose cone is purple plastic painted black, so you can remove the paint to look like the G1 toy or leave it to look like the show.

-Alt mode fits together nice and tight. Barely any gaps, and the plastic helps hide the ones that are there.

11. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Hmm.... Don't have Takara's Skywarp yet... might have to cave in for Hasbro's cause its cheaper--and the likelihood that it will follow Takara's US-Edition Starscream in the not too distant release... :D  ;) 

12. menasor73ct

menasor73ct Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    I have the takara version,but will be buying this as well.

13. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think Hasbro's version looks better. I can imagine Takara releasing a USA edition Skywarp in Japan next year..

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    couple of thoughts - the wing tightness is only a problem in my opinion if you try to move the wing sections at the same time if you move one section 90 degrees then when that is fully in place move the other they don't catch at all - if you try to move the whole thing in one go (like a closing book motion) then it will likely stress the part or even snap the wings off.

Also I had reason to glance at a few so I could pick a nice one to open so I'd suggest that if your going to buy one - look for the following flaws :

1) Semi-poor paint thickness on his wing stripes.
    2) frame removal scaring especially on the knees
    3) Inward impressed suck in marks on the top of his air intakes in robot mode about 1 in 3 seem to have this and 2 in 3 it's not featured. it's on the top of his breast area.

The one I did open was fine except for a small flake of paint missing on the nose cone (easily fixed).

In overall feel it's much much better than the Mp-3 Starscream which is the only other one I have as a comparison - that was such a disapointment I put it back in the box and forgot about it.

This one seems to suffer less from parts dragging against each other and the only problem it seems to have that Starscream also had was that the torso frame is a bit loose causing it to slip sometimes when you play with the robot as it does not lock firmly into place.

But in most other respects it's much better than Starscream... it's cockpit fits better, the tails and horizontal stablizers seem much stronger. and best of all no parts dragging or sticking during transformation.

Anyway do the wing Transformation in two motions and you should drastically reduce the chance of the wings suffering any harm in my view.

It's certainly no where near as much of a Transformational pain in the tail pipe as FAB Mudflap, or ROTF Skids are in my view.

I hope they do Thundercracker in 2011 (or sometime after Grimlock).

15. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    Agreed. The only thing I like better about the Hasbro version is the tail fins and wing stripes, although the fact the wing stripes are stickers and not painted on seems really cheap. Still, this is nice for those who can't afford the Takara release.

A key part missing from your review Cybershadow, is the quality of the toy compared to the Takara version. Could you comment on this? The Hasbro SS was inferior in quality to the Japanese version, and I'm wondering if Hasbro has addressed this or not.

16. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    I've made several TC repaints for commission using this mold, and have four Seekers myself. The wing tightness is a problem on all of them, although the method you describe is the best one for minimizing stress on the joint. It doesn't solve the problem though--it's a design flaw, and an infuriating one, since there is no reason the joint needs to be tight at all. They designed tabs to lock into the rectangular holes to keep the 'back' mounted in-place in robot mode, after all, which means there is no reason for the tightness at all! Grrr....

17. b.winn1

b.winn1 Well-Known Member

i like takara's better but im gonna leave this one in the box anyway. does he come with stickers? i hope grimlock is better. great review

18. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    No one seems to mention the fact that the Hasbro version uses Starscream's faces and not Takara's Skywarp faces.

I like the deco on both. One thing that bothers me is how differently they did the schemes on Hasbro's Starscream and Skywarp. Particularly how even the symbols on the wings are not oriented the same way. Oh well. :) 

Randy

19. tomagnus

tomagnus question the answers

I would prefer the takara version but due to the price mark on the hasbro version ,will end up with this release. looking at the pics and reading the reveiws and comments it seems that there is some pros and cons to both SW's. I'm all over this hasbro release the second I see it!

20. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i much prefer the SS smirk Hasbro SW got compared to the takara face. this was actually real bonus for me!