Masterpiece Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shatterpoint, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Nope.
    • The color is perfect. He was always pastel in the show.
    • The finish is perfect. Paint chips and he should look like a toy.
    • The size is perfect. He was definitely depicted as seeker size.
    • The legs are perfect. They were always pencil thin.
    • Stickers are perfect. They won't wear or anything down the road.

Oh, wait, none of those are really true. But people see what they want to see. I'm not saying I won't love MP-29, but the idea that this figure is perfect is silly. There is no such thing as a perfect figure.

MP-29 does some things really well but, as evidenced by another awesome Shiro digibash, it gets some things wrong, too. My primary concerns are size/mass compared to other leader figures (Starscream, Soundwave, 3P/eventual official Megs) and the color/finish standing out too much from other official figures. I think Shiro's digibash goes a long way to addressing the later, but since that's not what we're getting, I am concerned.

2. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I can't believe I'm saying this but for that one screenshot, Quakewave actually looks accurate with the really wide face.

3. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I don't know. I paid for the fast shipping on Anime Export last Wednesday and yet, they have not shipped it yet.

4. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

Same. Although I feel like it'll be in the country by Monday, because the tracking system is lagging for some reason.

5. Turakonin Prime

Turakonin Prime Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some people sound like fashion models getting in a huff over the color and size of their handbag. Lol. Giggled at that visual. Great think about your Gucci plastic here is that you can paint it if your man thong doesn't match. I love mp29. Quakeblast is cool too. No one seems to remember the shit quality of TV back in the 80's. Cartoons especially, one second the color is right, the next, damn deception has a different shade and has the voice of starscream whilst sporting a background colored leg lol. Those moments were epic. Lol would laugh so hard. Point? Shockers could have red legs and it'd be g1 accurate lol. Remember these are toys. Toys=fun. Fun doesn't mean bitching about other people's happiness with their toy. That just means you're a spoiled kid.

6. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    This whole post is EPIC ! I lmao the entire time reading it !

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Whoa... Shockwave's already gone through Chicago customs. It left Japan on the 1st, went through customs on the 2nd, registered as being picked up on the 31st.

Insane speed.

Sucks that a lot of good stuff comes during the Christmas season, because I'd love to have shipping speed like this year round. This is crazy fast.

The only other time I've seen an item go faster is an order I had come EMS out of Hong Kong. 3 days from ordering, but actually 2 days from HK to my front door. Customs processing, included. I about fell out of my chair.

8. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HE CAME!

Okay, I took some initial photos but they're still in the process of... well... processing Why? Because, a few points.

1) He's not a worse or lighter color than his box. In fact, the box art is more washed out and paler than he is in-hand. He's definitely a very distinctive shade of purple.

2) He is EXTREMELY difficult to photograph! No matter what I did, regardless of lighting, regardless of camera settings, regardless of angle of light, he appears in the LCD and resulting photos as decidedly BLUER than he REALLY IS. He is NOT blue in the least, I assure you. Hence the need for color correction, which I'm doing right now with him in front of my professionally calibrated CRT HDTV reference monitor. Which is not to say it will be exact (and it will definitely look different on everyone's display,) but I will do my best to get the photos to look like he really does.

3) His light piping is phenomenal imo but very strange, in that without light, it definitely has a green tint. So much so that I was worried at first. But add light - even dim light - and it comes to life as a golden yellow. I LOVE the effect.

4) I went with the cartoon decal for his forearms in bot mode, but some reprolabels instead in gun mode, as even the smallest included decals - normal or toon - don't actually fit in the space indicated in the included images without the colored border overlapping a panel line or two, and I don't like that. The reprolabels fit fine (since they come in a huge variety of sizes.) The forearms accommodated the decals in bot mode fine, though.

5) No major QC problems, but his forward ab crunch won't work on mine. It pops back up into a fully erect position no matter what I do. Leaning back it works fine, but not forward. His normal posture is fine, though. Very stable and easy to stand. He does have some flash here and there, and I too dislike the "drawer" that slides down to cover his trigger and I can see that getting worn, and it moves when you use the ab crunch. But otherwise, I LOVE him so far. Honestly, just first impressions, but he's the most baddass looking MP aesthetically to me to date - INCLUDING MP-10 and Ironhide, which really...

wait for it...

SHOCKS me... sorry I had to. :p 

Bbiab with hopefully decent photos, though I took them hurriedly in my excitement lol.

9. edwardelric880

edwardelric880 Well-Known Member

Strange; I paid for EMS shipping through AmiAmi when I preordered him and he still has yet to leave Japan. I thought EMS was supposed to be lightning fast. Or maybe just a case of me being impatient. I'm surprised at how quickly the newness of QW wore off and I've only had him a week; I think the anticipation for Shocky might have skewed my initial enjoyment of QW somewhat.

Screw it, I'm done being reserved/civil: ME GRIMLOCK WANT SHOCKWAVE NOOOW!!! lol

10. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

I'm gonna have to wait till Monday to get mine from the post-office. Slept in way too late, damnit. Grrr.

11. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yay! MP-29 has shipped from Kapow! :) 

Boo, tomorrow is a post-free Sunday :( 

12. bonewire

bonewire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got mine in the mail, HLJ in 4 days and I used the 2nd most expensive shipping, my only complaint, I have to go to the store to get the arm batteries.

13. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    So he comes with no batteries whatsoever? I understand the AAA's but MP-05 and MP-08(and most other Transfomers I've owned) have come with button batteries pre-installed. Not super bothered but it does seem a bit cheap.

14. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Same here, though mine says it's been shipped if I track it with the Japanese tracking system. USPS says it was processed in Japan but that's it.
    Last time EMS from AmiAmi was three days to my door, so this is pretty disappointing.
    *sigh*

15. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Just got mine, and I'm decently impressed. Size looks good next to the rest of Decepticon High Command (Apollyon, Soundwave, amd Starscream). He is closer to Soundwave's height than I expected with the head fully clicked up and the waist extended. I don't think it's even half a head of difference.
    One feature I don't think has been noticed is that, in addition to his ball joint in his head, there is an additional swivel joint underneath that that allows him to look down even further. Very similar to the one on Ironhide.

I also concur that the purple is a bit warmer in hand than most of the pics and videos have shown.

16. rko7

rko7 Active Member

Ugggh,did the same and my order shows as processed thru Japan Int as of today...

Nice to hear from someone who actually HAS the figure in hand.

And looking forward to your pics AnonymousDwell:) 

17. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Initial photos, altered color in Photoshop to match as closely as humanly possible (for me) to his ACTUAL in-hand color, under my personal lighting conditions (which will vary for everyone, as will everyone's display settings/calibration, so YMMV.) Also, these STILL aren't quite right. He's more vibrant and a tiny bit less washed out than these, however I tried everything I could to get it right and this was the closest I could get after an hour of fiddling.

I apologize for how dirty these look, the color changing process added a ton of noise, and I'm actually extremely frustrated that my camera refuses to photograph him in his actual color.

Color corrected photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unaltered versions (he looks absolutely N O T H I N G like this in reality - seriously. I declare this the most difficult to photograph Transformer of all time lol. Even STANDING NEXT to other transformers that the camera captures correctly... he looks blue. WTF?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried with and without flash, different amounts of light, different angles... no matter what he comes out blue LOL. Maybe I'll try outside.

Attached Files:

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine arrived today from AmiAmi. It's wonderful.

[​IMG]

19. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After a day with MP-29, I'm liking him more and more (and I liked him to begin with). He really is a great figure. I still hate Shiro for that digibash, as the purple Shiro used *is* better. Even so, I still love the colour they went for. Also, having got Quakewave out again, I think I'll keep him too after all, as I'd forgotten what a great figure he is - there's room in my collection for two of one of my favourite Decepticons. But MP-29 nails Shockwave, and he feels fantastic in-hand. All my minor gripes have disappeared over the few hours I've had him. He just looks superb, and is fun to transform too. Ratchet and Ironhide will most likely be my MPs of the year, but Shocky may well come a close second.

20. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You've managed to capture the colour pretty accurately there, too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.