Masterpiece Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shatterpoint, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    lol I got an email from TFsource about an hour after this post, so maybe you'll hear some good news from BBTS, gollum

2. Bot Marley

Bot Marley Spider-Ham's biggest fan!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

The toy can do the salute. I took several pics form different angles so you can see that MP Shockwave salutes just fine.

Attached Files:

3. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

For me, that's a relief. Thanks for that!

4. Bot Marley

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure thing, Chucez! :) 

5. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

@Honesty and Yeled: Re Andras - it's a little bit more complicated. I was blown away by the grey proto and didn't wait for colour pics before pre-ordering with a reputable retailer who doesn't accept cancellations. Now I'm normally quite cagey about pre-ordering - in fact I normally don't pay full retail for any of my stuff. I dunno why I did it, it was an itchy backside day I guess.

Thereafter, I saw the colour pics and thought that he was just too darn blue. I'm not a toon at all costs guy. Quite the oppostite; I think that the G1 toys have a lot to offer in terms of cribbing detail and iconic design element for MP designs. Anyway, I had been conditioned on the G1 toy and recent iterations where he was white and blue. Coupled with the high price I paid (and the fact that I now see MISB sets being offered for 40USD less), I just got turned off.

I absolutely agree that by all accounts he's well built (esp. for a XTB toy) ... maybe I should just accept that I've already paid the money, there's no resale market for him, and I should enjoy what I can enjoy.

Stupid blue everywhere :D 

6. Bot Marley

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi, Oshboggy. I think you posted this in the wrong thread by mistake. This is the Masterpiece Shockwave Revealed - Prototype images Thread

7. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

Ah, no it was a response to a little sidetrack where I noted that MP-29 and Andras are the 2 toys that I've left or am going to leave unopened, due to buyer's remorse/disappointment.

Yes, the reply is OT. Will not go on any longer about it. Just a one-off consolidated response to Yeled and Honesty. Cheers.

8. Collectibot

Collectibot SWITCHed.

News Credits:
    "Cybertron shall remain as you leave it, Megatron."

9. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Yoda: Begun the millimetre war has :D 

Nice work. The best part of this thread is everything that is getting debunked. The scale, the color, the bobble head, and the god damn salute. I'm curious to see what the naysayers come up with next. Makes for interesting reading.

10. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Where's that dude who runs around proclaiming that 3P are lesser products because they don't have proprietary "tampo faction symbol tech" incorporated? MP Laserwave would like a word with him. :lol 

I have to wait until next week to get my hands on this figure, and even longer for MP Ramjet...ugh. But I was starting to feel a little bit burnt out anyway, so I guess a bit longer won't hurt hehe.

11. Bot Marley

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, Danny Boy! Yeah what a ride it's been with the comments.

I have been enjoying him so much! It's the first time, in a long time, that I have enjoyed transforming one of my Masterpieces back and forth. Im so ecstatic I can leave him in any mode on the shelf and he looks great. And if I feel like changing modes, it's not a chore. It's a delight! :D 

12. BuddaMonk

BuddaMonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or what about those people who say they will never alter their MP figures in any way, shape or form, which includes stickering up their figure.....probably having nightmares over this. They probably won't give in and Lazerwave will remain a free agent.....making him look like an unlicensed figure.....oh, the irony.

13. GoldenLagoon

GoldenLagoon Failure: Impossible

Same here...I think I'm stalling because I want to throw a coat or two of future on his chrome before I transform him. Just haven't had the time. I was all over Ramjet though. Lol. Now Shocky will be here in a day, so I fear Hotrod is gonna be getting pissed at the lack of attention. Sorry Rod, I'm a Con at heart. Hehe

So after watching that CP video, there's definitely some amazing feats with Shocky, transformation being one, but some areas where they should've done better. Everyone here can see those, why couldn't Takara?

14. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Sorrybut you're deluded.
    Faction sticker or not, he has the usual "takara flavour", wich every unlicensed/ip thieving figure sorely lacks.
    But go on please.
    It's real fun see every nitpick and sarcasm debunked by in hand reactions.

15. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got mine from Kapow. It has that usual Takara stamp of quality control - by which I mean, even though pretty much the only paint on him is the grey paint on the sides of the legs, they still managed to put a scratch in the little paint there is - I can't catch a break with these things! :) 

Love the colours, though, and it's nice to have a big box again. Now on to the transformation - it's quite exciting, as for the first time in ages I've avoided all the videos, so for once it's actually going to be a surprise.

16. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Irony? Stickering up an official Masterpiece figure with unofficial stickers compared to stickering up an official Masterpiece figure with official stickers... D'oh! :rolleyes2 

17. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    I'm wondering how long it'll take before we see a photo where someone had used the toon accurate faction stickers

18. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay! Transformed and, over all, I really like him. Negatives out of the way first:

- Those screw holes! There are loads of them, and they really have a negative effect on the gun mode because they are all really obvious and along the top. I really think they should have plugged at least a few of them. They seem far more obviously and ugly than on the G1 toy (I got my painted-up grey Astro Magnum out and it still looks better in gun mode, aside from its wear over the years).

- Especially annoying is the screw hole on his gun arm where the batteries go in, as it completely obliterates the iconic two-semicircles detail.

- I do see what people mean by him feeling a bit like a Combiner Wars figure in terms of all that purple plastic. I think it's just the shade used and that he's unpainted, though. But given that Shockwave always was just a giant purple 'bot, I'm not sure what else they could have done, and it's a very nice, glossy plastic.

- Legs a are a bit floppy swinging outwards, but the ratchets on all joints make everything else otherwise firm.

- I don't really like the way you pull down the abdomen cover. The little lip you have to push down with your nail looks a little untidy and gets little white stress marks around it where you push it down.

There are far more positives, though!

- The colours are beautiful. The lilac used for the hands is perfect, and I really like the purple they used.

- I love that the forearms work either way, so that you can rotate them, have the hose on the front of the forearm and the classic "Transformers Are All Dead" look, with the two semi-circles near the elbow on the outside of the arm (which are details I really associate with Shockwave from the toy and that classic comics cover).

- The waist extension is a nice touch, and makes him only half a head smaller than Soundwave. His size is better than I thought it would be. The waist extension does completely destroy the ab crunch though, as someone said upthread.

- The proportions are spot on. His forearms are a little long, but I love that, because that's exactly how Shockwave has always been.

- The head sculpt is perfect, and I love that it's on a ball joint - the range of motion is terrific, and he can tilt his head ironically at Megatron.

And, well, everything else is really positive. Now I have the big decision of whether to go for 'toon or comic accuracy with the stickers... I do love Marvel Shockwave.

Over all, I'd say he falls between Ironhide and Hot Rod for me. Both Ironhide and Hot Rod were good figures, but whereas Ironhide blew me away (figure of the year so far - until Ratchet), Hot Rod disappointed me a little because of the various well-documented QC issues and a face sculpt that doesn't evoke Hot Rod whatsoever (as nice as the sculpt is in its own right). Shockwave hasn't blown me away to the same extent as Ironhide, but neither am I disappointed with him in any way - he's exactly what I hoped he would be. He has a few minor flaws, and certainly don't have the same feel of quality as MP-10, but is otherwise the definitive version of Shockwave, exactly what I want from an MP. (Quakewave, you were a great figure and had a great run, but it's time to meet Mr Ebay.)

19. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah that looks much better

20. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So what do folk mean when they talk about the 'correct' transformation? I got the head clicking up but also something about the waist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.