Masterpiece Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shatterpoint, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see where you're coming from on Andras, but I honestly think you're missing out. I would rank him as my personal favorite among all official and 3P MPs. It's interesting that you bring him up...because he's kind of how I see the way Takara could have handled Shockwave. He has a gorgeous metal flake in his dark blue plastic (which I think would have helped Shockwave a lot). His colors are rich yet toon accurate (not 'toony' but not made up either). With some exception to the alt mode color applications, he's spot on. If they had just painted the eyes, I'd call him perfect :) 

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at now too. If his color was just darker (not necessarily toy darker...just darker) I'd be all over him. Since 90% of him is in that color, I'm afraid I'll just have to hope for a recolor variant down the road. I'm glad for those that like him though. At least given the recent video reviews and kurdt's description that it matches Starscream's coronation purple, I can say it does match some of the toon screen caps...just not the ones that I would have preferred.

2. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, yep. I caught it on a re-watch. That takes away the one major gripe I was preparing against this figure.

Only a few days left to wait!

~Dan

3. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

It did the same for me. I was going back and forth on whether I wanted to snag this guy and the head thing kind of put me off. But now that I know it isn't a weird design flaw I'm super on board with him.

4. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

I was pretty happy with this guy overall, until the reviews showed that he can't do a proper salute. I looked back and the salute wasn't even close in the promo pics. Now I'm not as excited as before.

5. TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon UT Gang Rise Up

News Credits:
    I hope that happens. Something about a MP figure without any silver or metallic paint just strikes me as wrong. Makes him look too cartoon-y for me. Hope Takara at least consider a Toy and Astro Magnum version of this later.

6. Bot Marley

Bot Marley Spider-Ham's biggest fan!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you, Dark Jedi! hope you love him as much as I do! :D 

Thanks, Sam!!!! :rock 

AnonymousDwell, you are so awesome! Thank you! I wasn't sure about them, so I really appreciate you feedback! :D  Beer Bash at work today so I took a few more pics before Shockwave tried to take my Shiner Bock! :D 

Attached Files:

7. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just got mine in and I really like him. I have Quakeblast already, but this is a different animal and I like the both of them.

I really like the Transformation, I think it's way better. I like the gun grip being larger also, I felt QB's was very tiny. His color doesn't bother me, he looks great. I read somewhere someone complaining about his legs being hollow, I thought I was going to see massive gaps in the legs or something, they're perfectly fine.

The only issue I had was when I was pulling up to secure the neck, I pulled too hard and pulled his head off. Putting it back on was a pain since the neck plate depressed when putting it back on, so I had to push that down and then finagle the head in the cavity again and push it onto the ball.

I can see the gripe with price however. Compared to Ironhide; we're getting a similar sized, unlicensed bot for a good bit more. I also question the box size, it seems if they packed him in bot mode he might've fit into Ironhide's box. The box is kinda big for him I think.

8. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This guy looks awesome, still gonna keep my Quakewave and get all the variants, but oh man does this guy look cool. There is something with the pics that Takara does that doesn't seem to do the figures justice. It happened with Ironhide and with this guy. Can't wait to get him and hopefully they create some other color variation, perhaps the grey version.

9. gollum6974

gollum6974 Extreme Collector!

News Credits:
    BBTS Seems screwed up on their orders, sure MP-29 Laserwave is in stock, but that's just the basic, NO COIN, NO COLLECTORS Version. I am still waiting on mine, no way I am missing out on a coin and that nice wrapping. Anyone one know why they skipped the best version first?

10. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Seriously! What the fuck is the point of those salute hands. Ridiculous

11. Rahal Stmin

Rahal Stmin Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I believe it is called "Forced Perspective"

12. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I did have a bit of buyer's remorse as well, though I do think it's important to support the main line. I've always said I was going to prefer the official figures by default, primarily using 3P to fill in gaps where I didn't think Takara would go.

Clearly MP-29 has a better lower body than Quakewave, but in terms of size and finish Quakewave blends right in with my other Decepticons and looks great. He is maybe a smidgen too big, but not enough that it's a concern.

I'm not worried about the color of MP-29 but I am worried about his finish and petite build. I usually think most 3P figures have trouble fitting in to the line...they style things a bit off. But in this case I think MP-29 stands out as being different from the Decepticons people display him with.

In terms of opening the figure, I plan to open him and mess around with him. I'm going to give the figure every chance to be my official Shockwave. But after a couple days I'll know if he looks good with my other figures. It will grate on me if he doesn't, the way MP-22 grates on me when I put him with S1 autobots.

I figure he'll have good resale value down the road even if the box is opened.

I think some of the MP crowd is about toon accuracy, but that's probably too simple a view. Me personally, I like about 75% toon with a nod to toy and real life modes. I definitely want it mostly toon, but I don't think 2D brightly colored and over simplified drawings translate well to 3D premium collectibles when it comes to Transformers. I don't want a figma or a statue. I want the designer to translate that 2D model into something that has a degree of realism while still remaining mostly accurate to the toon. I think that's why I'm a bit put off by Magnus and now Shockwave. I need a bit more translation.

Well, that and I'm not thrilled by the size of either figure.

13. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    My " collectors grade " Laserwave is in my POL at BBTS. I don't get the coins so I wouldn't know about that one.

14. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You mean like this?
    [​IMG]

15. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The toy cant do that :lol  which is my point. Ridiculous

16. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

Yeah but this salute doesn't even come close, as shown by Shiro's collage.

I guess I'll have to shapeways a new elbow.

17. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah now that I'm cool with the color, height, and even stickers, and now that the head issue has been pointed out to be a non-issue - none of which would have ruined him for me anyway, but still - it looks like lack of double jointed elbows is going to be my big "con" with this figure. (Every MP has at least one.)

But don't think that will stop me from trying to used forced perspective to recreate that shot anyway. :p 

18. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I dunno about BBTS but I ordered the coin version from TFSource and it's my first time getting one with the coin (and I rarely buy masterpieces to begin with, but I wanted to splurge on my favorite character). so, they got the regular one in stock, but I have no idea how long it usually takes for the coin version to come out afterwards

19. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

The most common complaint I am hearing is the head/neck joint. So odd that they had the head transform by pulling it up. Why not open the chest and fold it in?

20. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

If the difference between the toy's salute and that screenshot is considered not even close and ridiculous then I shall declare this as the millimeter wars since two of them between his hand/head and height have been the source of most the outrage.:D 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.