Masterpiece Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shatterpoint, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

IMO QB was going for the MP crowd, but it's an older model and while it still checks out, it's ... clunky. And QB has taken a Gigapower aesthetic approach i.e. Masterpiece-sized, but dial up the buff to 11.

They're acceptable substitutes (and even preferred to MP-29 for some people), but personally, I think MP-29 has the best Masterpiece "base" to work from and it really sads me out that they got so close yet so far. It's very different from how I feel about MP Ironhide or Hot Rod, where those two are IMO fundamentally flawed.

So, gonna keep dreamin' about that bigger, premium-paint Wei Jiang KO. Or maybe TT will throw in some more paint budget for the inevitable Astro Magnum repaint. One can hope.

2. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some more pics. You know, I can appreciate the engineering that went into this figure. The lack of partsforming, and the leg transformation especially is inspired. I think it's the lack of paint apps and the dull purple plastic that really hurts it. If they had painted him the same color, I think the figure would be MUCH improved and visually more consistent with the other MP releases. As it stands, i'm still wavering on whether I should buy Quakewave or Quakeblast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Oshboggy

Haha, really trying not to appear biased here, but which of those guys matches with which? To my eye at least, I group Star Saber, Ironhide and Shockwave in the Playskool category. Shockwave being the worst offender. At least SS has some chrome on his chest, and Ironhide's got the chest bumper, lights, diamond-pattern crotch, coloured shoulders/painted thighs and diaper for some visual variation (those cartoon-accurate, underdetailed rectangle boots though -__-").

I'd also add that MP-09 leans towards the "bit too bland" side, but he's saved by just one simple thing - that black-outlined chest flame that serves as a focal point for attention and distracts from the relative smoothness/blandness of the rest of him. It also helps that his boots are a different colour from the primary red and secondary orange.

4. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

He looks so much like the WST Shockwave in.this image

Still, I'll get him eventually coz I like the design, but man, there's just something really lacking in him... size, color, legs, maybe ...?
    Just something doesn't look right !!!

5. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say Takara nailed Sunbow Shockwave perfectly. A non entity sideman with barely 10 lines in the entire series! lol

6. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hoping for a stolen design knock-off?
    Sheesh.

Then I fully and unabashedly choose Playschool. Star Saber is an amazing figure, and Ironhide is beautiful. Shockwave fits in perfectly.

7. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I think this is the perfect MP Shockwave for those who want the cartoon Shockwave. A Shockwave that was perhaps a bit bland and absolute obedient to Megatron.

He does look a bit too small since I don't remember shockwave being that much shorter than Soundwave or almost the same height as Ironhide (who, definitely, is at least a head too large).

When I myself think of Shockwave, I think of the Marvel comics. That Shockwave, the Decepticon chief military operations, decided that Megatron's emotional behaviour would be the Decepticons downfall and thus he took over. When Megatron resisted Shockwave beat the crap out of him. A Shockwave who made the Decepticons a viable threat, created the Constructions, designed Jetfire and was very close to creating a massive Decepticon army that would've conquered the Earth. A Shockwave who, when Megatron returned planned to retake his position by manipulating events and tricking Megatron into commiting suicide. A Shockwave who lead the Decepticons to their greatest victories. A Shockwave who, when abandoned, played the long game to return to power. A Shockwave who fought in direct combat with Scorponok.

That Shockwave isn't this Masterpiece.

8. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Weird comment considering that it was under Hasui that the MP line took off and became so popular, while since his departure there's an increasing amount of fans who claim disappointment with the new direction of the line.

And what proof do you have that Bumblebee's colour was decided by Hasui? Could be that VW wanted it this shade (which I doubt, since there are bright yellow Beetles) or it could be that TT chief said to go with this shade to mimick the movies.

I'm going against the general opinion here, but I don't think Kobayashi's figures are really that show accurate. Tracks reminds me more of the G1 box art than the cartoon or toy and Ironhide his upper body is very different from the cartoon and only his lack of detailing on the legs is very reminscent of the cartoon.

I think the main difference between these two is focus. Hasui had a very focussed view of the MP line: cartoon model first and then mixed with elements from the real altmode (licensed or not), elements from the toy where relevant, and in some cases how the character was perceived (most notably Optimus his heroic proportions). And every MP released by him follows this design idea.

In comparison, Kobayashi seems to alter his focus with every release. Ultra Magnus, Tracks and Ironhide show very different design elements -- not just from the Hasui MP's, but also from each other. Shockwave, if done by him, is again very different. And his previous work is also very different with very toy like figures (MP-8), very realistic (MP-3) and very show accurate (MP-1 and 9)

9. Oshboggy

*swims closer* hmm, why does that earthworm look like it's got a hook stuck through it? *swims away*

10. Acesan

Acesan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was shockwave supposed to be shorter than Soundwave? I don't remember

11. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Heh, i was thinking the exact opposite, their reviews and images (both very informative and competent so thank you guys) continue to highlight even concern I have about the figure. From their images the colour is still IMO off, and I think he's going to look small, simplistic and a bit cheap next to the other MP Decepticons. I do agreed that he may fit in as well as Ironhide does, but that's because I don't think Ironhide fits in at all, He's easily the most disappointing MP since MP-09.

I agree with you in that, however if once in hand MP-29 doesn't quite cut it for me (highly likely) I may well be ordering a Quakeblast. Disappointing really as Ive never felt the need to go 3P before, Ive always preferred to go the official route and up until now have always found TT's offerings superior.

Ah...exactly how I feel about him and you have him in hand...this does not bode well. Good to know in advance though, thanks for you thoughts and photos.

Yup...I think you are 100% correct.

12. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely agree there is a higher proportion of toon in the MP recipe these days, which I'm a fan of personally. For example I think if Prime or Soundwave were done today they'd have slightly less detailing (particularly Soundwave's legs and arms) and be a bit more toon accurate (Prime's proportions), Red would never have red thighs, etc etc.

But I certainly don't see some major step change between 21 and 22 that makes the new look out of place with the old, as some imagine. Group shots are looking more and more amazing to me with the colour and size variation we are getting.

I'm totally with DML that there is plenty of evidence of slavish toon accuracy and/or lack of premium paint all the way back - Starscream's lack of paint, Rodimus' toon accuracy, Red's fake wheels, Smokescreen's remoulding and face, etc etc. There is also the 'old style' in the new figures - you only have to look at what we get when Kobayashi/the new guys do a 'real car'. Tracks and Ironhide both have that premium real car paint finish (in fact they have the best paint finishes so far arguably). Tracks is covered head to toe in sculpted and painted details/panel lining - his legs, arms, collar, wings - much of it not on his toon model, and his flame decal is toy. He 100% matches the other cars aesthetically. Ironhide has those contentious plain-fronted lower legs, but personally I think they are so distinctive of his model they were right not to mess with them. I saw all the photoshops with added panel lines or sticker details and didn't like any of them, the 3p effort worse still, and I'm glad Takara felt the same way. Otherwise IH is just as full of details, sculpted greebles etc as the rest.

No definitely no step change in aesthetic philosophy in my eyes. More like it just so happens the 'Hasui era' did mostly real cars, and now we're getting more movie and later characters, non-car alt modes, etc, and they naturally look different just as the G1 toys and toon models did.

I definitely agree Shockwave would have looked nicer with a darker painted finish, but I still see the G1 accuracy and genius engineering I love about the line. No way am I going to pretend he's some unprecedented drop in quality signaling a downturn in the line - cos he isn't! Playskool? Lol :) 

13. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    Came home today and Shockwave was here. First I'm tired and have had a bad week. But here is a quick review. Box was nice but kinda of small. Out of the box his color to my eyes I like. Darker and not so light like in some pictures. He feels pretty light to me when holding him in hand. His hose is giggly and catches my eye attention for some odd reason. To giggly. I love how it's a spring like tho. Holes bother me a bit in gun mode. None of those are really bad. But do bother me some. Plastic to me feels like X-Transbots Scourge. The paint apps seem dull. Wish his thighs were silver. No lackluster from this guy.

Does feel a bit cheap and I have done reviews for official and 3rd party Masterpiece. If you check there is really no disappointment more than this guy. His head collapse with very easy force. Worse than Tracks on my copy. The legs outward are loose. Right legs falls down immediately. Left just a little shake and same thing. I can try to tighten the screws and hope that works. This guy feels like I bought him at Walmart. Combiner wars voyager or leader class. $50 bucks. Not what I actually paid. Light piping give me vibes of chug. I don't like it. I'm sure I will take it out and paint it. The clear hands on my are loose. Reminds me of my shitty Mp09 hands. Some future polishing will probably fix that. I'm really trying to like him. He was my most anticipated figure.

With the rest of my Mp collection he comes across to small. Like he kinda doesn't fit in. Which is a bummer for me. I love how he looks cartoon accurate with his curvy legs and all. I sold my quakewave and I hated the legs on him. Far to blocky for my taste. But quakewave felt more masterpiece and solid. Felt more premium. I really do think if he was a head bigger he would be alot better for me. Looks to scrawny next to the other's. It's only when I put his battery's in that made him feel less cheap. Made him more hefty.

Bottom line at the moment Takara came up short with Shockwave. Which is a very big disappointment from me. You can't and should not fuck up a Mp Shockwave. Bottom line is they could have done better imo. I don't hate the figure. At best I'm satisfied with him I guess. I should be happy at least.

14. DinoSnarl

DinoSnarl Banned

News Credits:
    +1. To my eyes he looks every bit as much an MP as all those other characters. Of course my opinion could change once I have it in hand but I don't think it will.

p.s. I do like the discussion we're all having, pointing out different point-of-views AND keeping it civil. Well done team!

15. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    Not to me. So No.

16. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    I have to agree that Shockwave feels like playskool.

17. Oshboggy

Yes, it's certainly better at present compared to some previous really low points in this thread. I can dig it.

18. TransFan84

TransFan84 I'm here. Peanut butter. Tighty whiteys. Fork.

I would dig it even more if AmiAmi would ship my Shockwave. :lol 

19. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please point me to where Shockwave fits in your Rescue Bots collections then. I'll wait.

20. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Or he goes with what the Japanese market wants, which is the fanbase the Masterpieces are designed for. Hasui isn't a loose cannon, the MP line took off under his stewardship and with every every release since there has been an intense amount of moaning. Tracks for example got perhaps the most lukewarm reception of any Masterpiece since MP Megatron.

I for one wanted this Shockwave, the one from the cartoon rather than anything else so I don't personally think he's gone against what all of the fans want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.