Masterpiece Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shatterpoint, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KOtron

KOtron Well-Known Member

Still no shipping notice, I better not wait 2 months like I did with Ironhide.

2. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Shapewise, it's no comparison to me Shockwave looks better in every way compared to QW. The chest on MP-29 looks to be about the same width or maybe even slightly wider than QWs to give it that bulky upper body look. QW looks like someone squeezed his chest together or like a midget standing on big blocky stilts.

But the color! I thought QW was too bright and MP-29 is significantly lighter! Will just have to see how I like it when I get in hand but damn! I might have to save up for a Dek custom cell shaded paint on for this guy!

3. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    I'm the first to have a good ol' [email protected] but I can't understand how anyone can get past those legs. Yeah people like different things but hot damn those are probably the most awkward things I've seen on a transformer. When you look at it your eyes are instantly drawn to those legs. There's no getting past it.

4. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I'm still liking Laserwave's look better and I still despise QW's legs. With that said one thing I find interesting is that their bodies are about the same size but Quakewave has more bulk on all his limbs and added height making him look bigger.
    I must also admit I'm not fond of that grey plastic. Not being silver does make it look a bit cheap and from the early official images for some reason I was thoroughly convinced it WOULD be silver.

5. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

Thanks mweeuser and Monari for your insights and comparison pics. Other than Laserwave's sexy curvy legs, I just don't see anything else to warrant replacing Quakey.

Monari's pics with Prime and Soundwave show me that Laserwave frankly doesn't look like an MP-caliber Transformer, IMO.

6. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow...ummm...yeah. That seals it. Definitely sticking with QW. That's actually pretty accurate to QW's true color too. Thanks so much for the fantastic comparison pics! :) 

You know it's amazing to me how people complain about QW's legs, which I completely agree look ridiculous, but it's something that can easily be overlooked by properly posing him which has to be the #1 defense I see of every official release of late. "It looks so much better in hand with good poses"...that's true of QW's legs as well...

7. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

Those screw-holes in gun mode. Gah. His head also looks like some sort of suckable candy. Hate the cheapo light-piping. I like light-piping in general, but not on a supposed MP toy.

The comparisons next to Soundwave and MP-10 really show up the difference in terms of how "sharp" they look. Prime and Soundwave look sharp. Shockwave ... doesn't. It's another tale of missed opportunity from TT. They've done a good sculpt with nice touches like the integrated transform, but stumbled at the premium-finish hurdle.

My only consolation is that I'll be paying the Hong Kong price for him i.e. about 100USD or so. I'd be an order of magnitude more disappointed if I shelled out any more.

8. inclementbias

inclementbias Maximal

^^ This is how I feel. I hope this isn't the precedent for MP figures moving forward. The finish is just.. meh.

9. dapro

dapro Well-Known Member

Did they even paint this guy?!?! Does look like cheap plastic. QW have better material. I am glad I got one of each now. One official and one with better quality.

10. BuddaMonk

BuddaMonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For those that have Lazerwave in hand, can you comment on his weight - similarities to any particular figure? Any confirmed diecast parts?

Does he have double jointed elbows or just 90 degrees? Saw in some videos that the ankle tilt was fairly weak and limited.

So, what can be said about Lazerwave that hasn't already been mentioned....well, let me put it this way......Lazerwave would look wickedly awesome next to the wave 3 MP's like Hot Rod and Ironhide as he has the same toon aesthetics with smooth parts and little detailing. Put him in a collection with Hasui MP's and he stands out like a sore thumb. Even Ironhide standing next to Prime looks off. Much like if you were to put MP-13 next to MP-1 or MP-5. This is clearly a new visual direction in masterpieces. And sadly, it just does not streamline well visually with the wave 1 and 2 MP's. Scaling may now be of concern as Kobayashi didn't give a shit about scale when he did the first MP's. Interesting how his own direction changed. His first MP's were more focused on real world alt modes which clearly was in the opposite direction of toon (grimlock and rodimus being the exception).

Congrats to the diehard toon advocates....you're getting figures that literally stepped out of the TV. For the rest of us, don't feel too bad, the level of competition is heated and there's plenty of alternatives available.

11. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never liked QW's legs. That's been the big reason I never picked him up.

Right now, for my money I like Quakeblast best of the three of them.

Initially I assumed that the inevitable darker repaint of Laserwave might put him over Quakeblast, but the more I see the more I think Quakeblast may just be the best.

12. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Man, TCP sent me an email that Shockwave will be in stock tomorrow. Wish it was today, lol. Can't wait. Anyone have MP Shockwave with Quakeblast and Quakewave for comparisons?

13. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    The look is directly tied to making MPs "look like they stepped off the TV screen". MP Soundwave looks less like a 3D cartoon figure than Shockwave because we've had years of Takara moving more and more towards the "3D cartoon figure" style.

And to be fair, that does seem to be what a large (loud?) percentage of the fandom wants.

It's not for me, but I get why Shocky looks like a 3D cartoon figure. Because that's what Takara believes the fandom wants. And it is what I hear and see a lot in reviews and comments (preference for closeness to the cartoon).

I'm one of those freaks who prefers a blend of toy-cartoon-comics-etc that's heavy on the toy homage, so it was QB for me in the Shocky Wars.
    PBut I totally get why others prefer this one, or QW.

There doesn't have to be a universal winner declared; this isn't Higlander.

14. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Can anyone tell me how fast Anime Export is with 2800 yen shipping?

15. monish

monish Not a Negatron!

News Credits:
    its EMS , most of the time within 3 business days or possibly less

16. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Just got billed for this guy...I must admit I pretty much forgot that I ordered him via HLJ a while back. Looking at those comparison pics I like the mold, but HATE the color and the size they made him. Probably gonna sell this one as soon as I get it in the mail.

17. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Fair enough I've never seen it in hand.

There doesn't have to be a winner but I'd be interested in sales numbers. If I had to guess I'd say 90% of collectors went with official and the remaining 10% split between the 3P offerings.

I much prefer Kobayashi. I'm with the 'walked out of the toon' crowd so these newer MP's cater to my tastes. The thing with Hasui is that he was a bit of a loose canon and went with his own preference, not what the fans want. We've seen with Red Alert that mixing toy and toon was not a good idea. Kobayashi would have given us cartoon accurate colors with Red Alert, Bluestreak, and Bumblebee. Kobayashi is the safer bet.

18. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

If you are equating "what the fans want" to uber cartoon-accuracy, then I think you have to change the word "the" in "the fans" to just "some".

19. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When compared to the 3rd party figures Lazerwave appears to be the real Shockwave whereas the other two look like worker drones from an Iacon factory. Glad I got Lazerware over the others.

20. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    I'll change the word to 'most', but not 'some'. Most fans are after uber cartoon accuracy first and foremost. The complaints about Bumblebee's real world orangey yellow and Bluestreaks gunmetal grey were deafening. Heck most people are getting riled up because Shockwave isn't a cartoon accurate plum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.