Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Rodimus Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by alexcollier, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Just typing as I go...

-Having a hard time locating a loose joint! Almost every joint is tight as a motherfucker. One of the taillights is floppy but that's all I can find.

-I really think they needed some kind of notch or something on his "ears" to make the visor gimmick a little easier to use. Rotating them is close to impossible.

-His proportions are almost right except for too-short forearms. His poseability is about as good as it should be, but his shoulderpads can get stuck against the corners of his backpack...that just plain shouldn't happen. Also, his feet are tight but don't have much range of motion at all. Perplexing, as it's not like they don't have room to move. I would not say the toy is well-balanced.

-His right hand can hold his guns. His left hand? Forget about it.

-Transformation is just insane. I never imagined how many hoops they would have to jump through just to achieve this toy. That having been said, there's a lot of problems with connections that don't even come close to doing their job. The feet are only held in place underneath the carseats by some vague divots and the driver's side foot in particular is ridiculously hard to line up. The gray calf pieces that are supposed to peg into the waist do nothing at all. And why would they let the pelvis just scrape on the ground? There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid it, and I don't think these are issues that Hasbro's going to be able to correct.

-Well, once you've got the pieces into some configuration approximating the car mode, it looks fantastic. But there is no way you will get all four wheels on the ground. Seems to me that the wheels needed to be bigger. The fact that they pull down a tiny bit just doesn't cut it.

-Went to winnebago mode, didn't get a scratch on the fin. I think the channel that the fin slides into is especially large on the trailer I got, which is nice and all, but it's got other problems; namely, the truck hood piece doesn't hold on for shit. It's like they forgot how to make a functional tab. I don't own every single MP but I can't recall any of them being this impossible to peg together.

-I actually like the INSIDE of the trailer because in addition to the cannon acting as a sort of a support (remember his balance isn't very good), the sides have specialized places to store all of Roddy's extra crap.

Do I regret buying it? Well, yeah, a little bit. But I went in knowing I probably wasn't going to be playing with it extensively. As a display item it's magnificent in any mode; it's just that all the shit in between modes can get pretty exasperating.

2. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Awesome pictures and I'm glad to see the visor works for both faces.

Randy

3. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    I just got him and either I just got lucky or I am more gentle with my $200 toys than others cause I had few issues. I love this thing. Sure, you have to be precise and patient with the transformation but it is a beautiful piece that I am very happy to have.

4. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    My Rod will be here thursday. I will give it a try and see what i come up with, the tape shouldnt hurt the spoiler over time if it isnt sticking to it, if it doesnt work work too well ill have to bug one of you to get it filed a tid bit. where is the best place in the curve to file it?

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm curious have you transformed it to Hot Rod and Rodimus' alternate modes and could the wheels touched the floor? Where there scratch marks? Could the figure hold the guns propely and everything peg into place?

Because out if the box, my piece had no problem and I was excited and loved the figure until I attached the trailer! LOL!

For those who have problems in keeping the visor in place - I suggest pushing up the visor "gently' with your finger. It worked for me but please don't blame me if it gets broken! X)

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Well-Known Member

Good to hear some positive feedback!

Are the backpack tabs stressed on your Hot Rod? That and the leg armor are really the only things I'm worried about.

7. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    I have transformed him and no scratches or real problems. It took some finesing to get everything in its place but to have a figure this nice, I can deal with that.

No the wheels are not perfect and the gun is a challenge to fit properly in his hand but I got it to work.

I had no problems with stress marks or the legs.

He is not "perfect" but damn close. Just be careful when you handle him. Recognize that this is a $200 collectable and not a $10 deluxe figure by Hasbro. It needs to be respected.

8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This brings up an excellent point. I don't mean to offend anyone with what I'm about to say.

I think, sometimes, we're too gentle and it backfires in our faces.
    I know for a fact I wouldn't have broken those tabs on Megatron, but I was so concerned watching out for their well being, that I wasn't paying attention to the other tabs and they snapped off. It was right then and there that I realized that I am the problem, not the figure itself.

Now, I do realize that lemons are made in every batch, and I'm sure there are plenty out there, I can't deny that, but I think it's a mix between the lemons and our own worries that lead to a sense of dread and it ruins the experience.

Masterpiece Rodimus might turn out to be one of the better figures, in the long run. I think we just need to keep an open mind and a steady hand.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Nothing broken or scratched on my Rodimus after all the transformations, my only problem is that some parts get untabbed easily and it's nearly impossible to have all wheels touching the ground all at once. Engineering is killer though, I'm surprised they pulled that off.

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    That is indeed good to hear - I'm not surprised by the tight joints and everything fitting into place because mine had a good fit too but the "no scratches" part without modification is really a nice surprise. Even the local collectors in my country are bitching about the scratch marks! X)

As for the "respect part", I believe many of us here have enough $200 plus toys to be careful in transforming them! LOL!

11. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    just spent a couple of hours with this thing and my biggest fear was realized: it's no fun to transform (to me). I don't mind complex transformations if they're intuitive and everything fits where it's supposed to - those are fun. This thing...it's like they purposely designed it to be counter-intuitive. :lol  Prior to this the hardest TF I've come across is ROTF Leader Prime. He was insanely hard to transform, but once you figured out where the parts went everything fit together like it was supposed to and it became kind of fun. Rodimus is so finicky and held together so precariously in places that before I was even done I felt like I'd never want to transform it again. There's just no joy in it whatsoever. And those black leg panels are probably the most ill-conceived part of the whole thing. Be very, very careful around them. They're held on by very small hinges and it's easy to squeeze one or put too much pressure on one while you're transforming. I felt like I had to constantly be aware of where the panels were and how they were positioned to make sure I didn't snap them off.

There is joy in robot mode. He looks perfect, he has all the joints you could ask for, and he's nice and hefty. My only gripe in robot mode would be the backpack - I just can't get it to clip together where it's obviously supposed to.

Winnebago mode, the alt mode I was looking most forward to, is something I doubt I'll ever put him in. I tried, but the mashing of parts was too worrisome and I stopped halfway through and just put the trailer back in the box.

This thing was ambitious, I'll give them that. After handling it though I can't help but feel it's over-engineered and that the focus was primarily 'look what we can do' rather than making it an enjoyable (fun) experience. It's the exact polar opposite of G1 Rodimus, where you flipped the hood around and you were pretty much done. :lol  You may say I expect too much 'toy' out of a Masterpiece item, but, well, I think Prime and Grimlock are excellent toys and very fun to transform.

And also, I don't want to sound like I'm "hating on" this thing - this is just my initial reaction immediately following a maddening 1-hour transformation. It's possible I could pick it up tomorrow and find it much easier to transform. I certainly haven't written it off or anything, it's a MP of my favorite TF character so it's impossible for me to hate, but I definitely need some time away from it. :) 

Oh, and nothing is broken or scratched or mis-assembled on mine.

12. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude you need to chill out and let the ppl who have less complains just enjoy the toy. Youve said your piece, you dont have to cross check everybodys opinion. Youve been posting in this thread at least every 3 pages despite being an early reviewer, we appreciate your 'concern'.

13. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Took the words out of my mouth

Yup he's perfect in bot mode. As for the backpack, you just need to press the white color thingy down while adjusting the roundish part and hinge at the waist.

[​IMG]

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Before you go any further...well, I'm having abit of customer dissatisfaction and I'm actually thinking of picking up a 2nd piece (for USD$130-140). Yup, I'm a "hardcore collector" like rizuan76 pointed out! ;) 

If there's more positive feedback, I will bite the bullet. Er, is there any thing wrong with me confirming the positives of the toy? I have no problems with robot mode - its the best I've owned.

By the way, for those of you who say there have been no scratches - have you attached it to the trailer?

15. davehammer

davehammer Well-Known Member

Since this is suppose to be a "feedback" thread, just want to voice my honest opinion about this figure...

Is it perfect? No

Is it the best MP figure? Hell No

Is it a terrific figure? Yes

Do I love it? You bet!

Is it the best Rodimus figure? IMO Yes

Is it better than Fansproject's Protector? Yes

Pros:
    - very show accurate and faithful to the original design
    - great solid looking figure on an aesthetic level
    - little to no kibbles
    - great proportions
    - awesome articulation
    - ratcheted joints all over the place
    - some fantastic gimmicks (face change, visors, Matrix chamber, duel pea shooters combine into the huge rifle, weapon storage)
    - fun and challenging transformation (robot to sports car)
    - gold coin and display box

Cons:
    - lack of die-cast (only the feet)
    - feels cheap and very plasticky when compare wit the previous MPs. Lots of smooth unpainted plastic with little to no molded details
    - the panels on his legs are fragile, best be careful with them
    - some half ass gimmicks (2 cm height gain via pelvis adjustment, the whole "Hot Rod" to "Rodimus Prime" transformation isn't too thrilling)
    - clearance issue, his crotch plate is way too close to the ground in car mode
    - finger articulation feels like it took one step sideways then one step backwards. Only the thumb can move individually, no birds, no horns, no pointing, no peace gestures possible o_O 
    - butter fingers, he does not hold his rifle well and I have tried all 4 pegs on both hands, one is slightly better than the other, thank god that was his right hand)
    - Winnebago transformation (don't think I need to go into details on this one)
    - backpack has a habit of untabbing itself.

Overall, I would recommend this figure and am glade that I have it in my collection. The previous MPs weren't exactly flawless either. Don't let a few issues discourage you from getting this fantastic toy. It is still the best mass produced Rodimus figure period and don't let any fansproject fan boys tell you that the "Protector" is better, I have both and it is NOT better than the MP.

a Roddy group shot for the hell of it ^^
    [​IMG]

16. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Nice davehammer

I'm serious if you don't pick this up, you will regret it...

17. Laservampire

Laservampire Well-Known Member

Great review, I'm really looking forward to this figure again now!

You need a G1 roddy in that group photo though!

18. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :D 

It's good top hear everything turns out just fine Eriku, also glad that no parts were broken straight outta box (one of yr main fears).

19. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Yeah, even though the transformation utterly kicked my ass I'm still glad I got it and happy nothing was broken or stressed or anything else.

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I finished a dvd and looked down and saw i was still stuck at the arms going into car mode :lol