Masterpiece ReAnimated: G1 Stop-motion

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by OptimusTimelord, Apr 19, 2015.

1. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Hah, good to know! I think I saw the movie once, many years ago on tv. Was probably a big film in its day, but 1955 is a long time ago, and I'm not sure it's exactly well known these days. Maybe one of those that people will vaguely know the title but not have actually seen it.

2. OptimusTimelord

So anyway, grab the popcorn and take your seats...

• Like Like x 8
  3. Samue1

Samue1 Not to be confused with Sam Witwicky

Great stuff, love it!

I especially like how you’ve done mp-44’s and mp-36’s transformations! Smart stuff

• Like Like x 2
  4. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Oh my! I thought you meant the Blackrock reference! :D  In that case, I didn’t catch the title reference.

But I did love the G.B. Blackrock cameo in the full video! Nicely done, it’s great to see you tie the comics and cartoon together like that.

This episode was fantastic!!! The oil rig battle is so iconic and seeing all the pieces you’ve shown us come together was truly enjoyable. Thanks for continuing to make these!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Great job as always @OptimusTimelord :thumb 

Yeah, Bad day at Black Rock is a lot ahead of of our times. I'm familiar with it from watching NCIS. When they go to rescue Ziva and Dinozzo is captured, a lot of the lines he utters are from Bad Day at Black Rock.

It takes place after WWII where a Japanese-American soldier has been murdered and they send Spenser Tracy in to find out why, of course the town is none to helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OptimusTimelord

Cheers, yes there's a certain level of cheating involved in the transformations to keep them close to the toon originals, hopefully done smoothly and doesn't distract (for those watching who own the figures and can see the liberties taken).
    Aha, yes there you go, put Bad Day at Black Rock on your 'to watch' list :lol 
    That's the one! Apparently the isolated location they call Black Rock in the film, gas station, post office, railway line etc, is no longer there. Even the train line is gone.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    I definitely will put it on my watch list! I’ve enjoyed Spencer Tracy in other films, this looks like it would be a fun one to watch after seeing that clip. :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  8. IczerRyuga

IczerRyuga Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Sorry about the destruction,Blackrock. Hope your insurance is covered!

• Like Like x 1
  9. OptimusTimelord

So now that the dust has settled, thought I would share a few bits of the process for the latest video...

The machinery that Starscream freezes with his null ray was originally a cel animated rotating part. I reused/touched up the background but replaced the hand-drawn art with a physical model (like the rig itself, this is just a few pieces of card glued to some plastic and sprayed with primer). There are only seven frames here, but repeated it becomes an infinite loop:

[​IMG]

The Autobots are seen flying to the rescue, but of course we know they later were retconned as unable to fly. So I popped some sneaky jetpacks on that weren't there in the original toon version:

OilBotsFly20.jpg

The rig model I built wasn't actually scaled to fit MPs, so Prime was composited into the shot as if stood atop it. Similarly, when we see a shot of the other Autobots sliding down the sinking deck, the figures are on a large sheet of cardboard designed to match up with the oil rig model:

P1130684.JPG

A set of close up photos of the model deck toppling was also taken, such as this:

P1130662.JPG

And then the two were stitched together, along with a screen grab of the original background art:

OilRigSlope7.jpg

[​IMG]

There were a few of the expected cartoon goofs, such as the Cybertronian Laserbeak as mentioned earlier in the thread, which I've corrected as usual. For instance when Skywarp and Reflector take off with the Energon Cubes the animators evidently got some layers in the wrong order, resulting in the two Cons momentarily reversing then jumping ahead, with the poor cubes left alone in mid air, dazed and confused! :lol 

vlcsnap-00634.png

Lastly, for the extended Patreon version of the video I recreated the 'Next Time' trailer which features a bunch of clips from Episode 2. But there's one shot in the trailer that never actually shows up again, so only seems to exist in the preview (it is also noticeably lower quality so obviously sourced from a different master). Here's a still:

vlcsnap-00354.jpg

Now, there are some frames of this dam scene in the final Episode 2, showing cracks appearing (and in proper higher quality), but we never see it breaking as in the trailer. Photoshop's Auto-colour does a surprisingly impressive fix to get the frames looking more like they should, and by combining two fields of the above frame I was able to sharpen it a bit too:

DamBreaks10.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  10. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Love these behind the scenes things! Thanks for sharing! You really have a great talent for this!

• Like Like x 4
  11. OptimusTimelord

Thanks! There are times when I look at other TF fan stuff and think why do I go to such extremes, there are much easier ways to produce content and get views! But I guess ultimately I'm creating what I myself would most like to see. Glad to know the work is appreciated by others! :thumb 

• Like Like x 5