Masterpiece Quality over time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UtahRobotInDisguise, May 29, 2020.

?

Which Masterpiece figures have you had QC issues with?

1. MP 48 Lio Convoy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MP 47 Hound

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. MP 46 Black Arachnia

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. MP 45 Bumblebee 2.0

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. MP 44 Optimus Prime 3.0

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  6. MP 43 Beast Wars Megatron

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. MP 41 Beastwars Dinobot

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  8. MP 39/42 Sunstreaker body

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  9. MP 33/35/37 Inferno body

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. MP 36 Megatron 2.0

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    A lot of talk about Takara's QC falling apart. We know Hound has had issues, but I started to wonder what other figures have issues. Not necessarily decomposing plastic, but any issue that was a manufacturing or design issue that damage occurred but should have been avoided. For instance, someone not reading the instructions and breaks a panel because they moved it the wrong way shouldn't vote for that as an error. However, if you are following the instructions and the piece breaks or warps, that would count.

Anyway, this is purely trying to see if Hasbro has "fallen apart" over the past few years. We've gotten a LOT of complex transformers and I just thought it'd be an interesting "at a glance" view.

Please vote for figures you own/have owned, and not for figures you've heard had issues, but yours do not, or you never bought.

Just realized I posted this in the News/Rumors forum. Meant to post it in the general toys forum. Hopefully a lurking mod can move it. Apologies.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Minor out of the box paint wear on MP-36 and MP-45. More paint wear from handling them. Some minor paint wear on Grapple.

not sure about Dinobot as I put an eclip in his shoulders before even checking if there was an issue.

ratchet wore out in my Sunstreaker’s hip super quick. Guess I’ll vote for him. I don’t count paint wear as a QC issue.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NickKnack13

NickKnack13 Robo-Zoo Keeper

I know he's not up there but the only MP I've had break due to shitty design is MP Cheetor. The arm panels are on way too thin a hinge, should have improved the tolerance so I could manipulate it easier or used diecast so it wasn't a weak point

• Like Like x 1
  4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Of the bots listed, I only have Hound and Sunstreaker. Hound was slightly defective out of the box and has developed cracks since. Sunstreaker is great so far (only just got him this week, though). It would be nice if the poll allowed for more choices going back a few more years (I realize there’s a max of 10). My other MPs are as follows:

MP01 (Hasbro 20th Ann. OP): No issues
    MP12G G2 Sideswipe: No issues
    MP17 Prowl: No issues
    MP20 Jackie: No issues
    MP21 Bee: No issues
    MP25 Tracks: No issues
    MP27 Ironhide (2nd release): No issues
    MP28 Hot Rod: No issues

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine were Sunstreaker and Megatron. Fractures in the former, paint coming off in my hands in the latter.

Too complex, too many parts, too slavish in design/looks. Adds up to an expensive and underwhelming experience.

6. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    Yeah, I thought about sprinkling releases all the way back to MP01, but I didn't want to "color" the results. I figured things got most complex within the past two years or so, so keep with those. Also, many of the earlier MPs have multiple releases and different versions (TRU vs Takara, etc) and I figured that throws too many variables into the results. Just wanted to keep it easy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigcee66

bigcee66 Well-Known Member

Only with my Ramjet, and Ironhide. Both had their shoulders assembled incorrectly and I had to fix them both.

8. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Have MP1, Grimlock (re-issue), Soundwave (Goat version; gold deco), and Shockwave (darker purple version).

MP1 has always been fine.

Grimlock (re-issue) has awful loose joints. Fixed all of those annoyingly.

Golden Soundwave and all his included cassettes have been fine.

Darker purple Shockwave has been fine too.

I'm avoiding the newer cartoon / anime style figures due to the awful QC problems.

9. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I know it. I think you took the most appropriate approach given the limitation on the polling platform.

• Like Like x 1
  10. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    So far it’s been an interesting spread. Some was expected, others quite surprising. I don’t personally know anyone with issues with the sunstreaker mold, but he’s got a few votes. Thanks to all who have voted so far! :) 

11. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

I do feel something is a bit more off with the more recently MPs in terms of QC as well as paint. When I look at MP Tracks for example, the paint is gorgeous and almost perfect, with little to no chipping. Same with the Datsun + releases. Whereas figures like Sunstreaker, Bumblebee, and Optimus Prime have all kinds of chipping issues.

As far as the figures on your poll, here's why I picked the ones I did:

MP 36: my first release copy had a horribly loose right bicep swivel. So bad you could not pose with his fusion cannon attached. Also the paint issues on his shoulders.
    MP 39: paint chipping and totally loose sideways hip joints. I had to put a lot of floor polish in to fix it.
    MP 41: the shoulder issue which I preemptively fixed.
    MP 44: Oh boy. One of the knees went out, super loose hips, crazy paint chipping on the yellow and gray painted areas, bent antennae, lateral shoulder ratchets ground to dust.
    MP 45: Paint chipping galore, super crooked Autobot symbol on my first copy. Returned it and second copy had a marginally better Autobot symbol.
    MP 46: Spider legs were super loose at the base.
    MP 47: Went through 5 copies before I gave up and kept the cracked Frankenstein I had at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DirkManus

DirkManus Well-Known Member

Other than hound falling to bits I've had more QC issues on the older ones. Chrome on hot rod Ironhide and my Takara MP10 reissue. The head was cracked on my sideswipe reissue.

13. UnicronPrimus

UnicronPrimus Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    I've had QC issues starting with MP Star Saber being the small jet fins on his chest have easily cracked hinges and then I stopped buying MP because of it and moved back to chugs. Then I've seen issues with other MP figures down the line. It's like I guessed that the downfall of quality would happen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Out of all the MPs listed above, I had some minor issues with Megatron 2.0's paint around his arms and the stock barrel. I do not own the rest on that list. But I have had QC issues with other MPs. The "serious" optional face for MP Ratchet had a bad scratch and paint chipping right out of the box. Also my Star Saber had loose elbows. I saw reports of this and how people where modding their Star Saber's elbows but when I tried on mine, I noticed that one of the screws had already been rounded off straight from the factory.

Between my experiences, reports of other figures having QC issues, and the rising prices is why I don't really collect the MP line anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    Masterpiece quality over time?

4D7615F4-5471-478B-B5A3-2B45E7A68B84.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  16. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    My MP1 and MP8 are both super solid, but I feel like almost every other release has had some kind of issue.

Off the top of my head:

My MP10 had crappy chrome and the paint job on my MP12 is super sloppy. He also can't hold his gun properly, but that's more of a design issue than QC.

MP Wheeljack's wings have cracked, one of MP Tracks' biceps developed a crack, MP Cheetor's super flimsy arm guard swivels broke.

MP Ratchet has flaky paint, crappy chrome and the paint on his left thigh and right food randomly yellowed a bit.

Of the figures in the poll, I had the following issues:

MP44: broken knee straight out of the package. Replacement is fine.

MP46: broken spider leg and insanely loose knee joints straight out of the box. Replacement is fine.

MP46: multiple cracks developed after a few transformations. Replacement is mostly ok, save for 1 crack behind his front bumper which I've successfully fixed with a drop of glue.

17. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    • Stress mark on a leg part for Sunstreaker
    • Cracking paint on the hood of MP-12G(not sure how...wasn't played with roughly and was in air conditioned rooms)
    • MP Dinobot shoulder ratchet breakage on 1 arm due to the tab not being long enough by 1mm or 2, saved LITERALLY by a plastic tag from a loaf of sandwich bread
    • MP-43 Megatron stress marks on dino skin panel near the pins
    • MP-01 screw connecting upper body to waist joint losing tension so the ratchet itself may be shearing(this took 15 years to happen btw)
    • Cracked hinge on MP Cheetor gut gun out of nowhere
    • MPM-4: 1st copy came with duplicate thumbs and couldn't tab the hood well nor gas tanks. Same for 2nd copy aside from duplicate thumbs. However the factory worker misassembled the crotch in the worst way possible resulting in bad stress marks and a screw screwed in at the wrong angle. I'm not even sure how this copy made it out of the factory. Copy 3 is largely okay save for the side widows being hard to tab in flush in truck mode.
    Lately Takara has been releasing MP's with seemingly inevitably unforeseen issues that aren't detected until release. Prior to 2017 I hadn't experienced as much issues. MPM-4 was a big turning point for me as an MP collector, I was astounded by how bad my 2nd copy was.

Wasn't thrilled at all to hear that MP-44, MP-47 and MPM Megatron used some ratchets made out of soft plastic.

I have my theories of what's going on behind the scenes as it relates to other Japanese companies that cover a much wider product range, but that's something I'd rather not get into on the forums.

18. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    This has been very interesting to read the results. It's a small sampling, i'll admit, but it looks like it's not a steady slide. seems to jump around.

19. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cracks on my first MP Hound.
    Leg snapped clean off at the upper thigh joint on my MP Grapple.

Totally unrelated to the original post but I got a lot of my G1 bookstyle reissue figures out recently and managed to snap an exhaust off Optimus Prime and one of the missiles on Anime Starscream. Wasn't being rough with them or anything but the plastic just snapped with light force making it seem incredibly brittle. Modern plastics really don't seem to last. :-(