Masterpiece Prowl US release as TRU exclusive!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Icespark, Jan 23, 2014.

1. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

so it costs MORE than the takara version if 59.99 is accurate? lol at people who thought this would be $30 like the alternators were. ~$50 shipped each takara FTW. UNLESS it comes with extras. if it comes with launchers for 59.99 than i say its a deal and the wait for hasbro people can LOL at me assuming the deco is as good as the takara one. At that price point though i hope habro is smart enough to include launchers. the extra cost should be minimal but perceieved value is higher.

59.99 used to buy you an mp grimlock, now it buys you an mp prowl. is this called hyperinflation yet? lol

2. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

I'm betting it will include two launchers, and will end up retailing for well below $60, unless it's a two-pack (or three-pack) with the other Datsuns.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    You can't blame Hasbro for that. TRU is the only store that is willing to carry MP. The last time Walmart did it, they had so many Skywarps left over, they were selling them for $20.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Too much for a US release. With some patience and luck the Takara one can be had at the same price

5. ucdavisboy

ucdavisboy Well-Known Member

Prowl and his buddies can be had for as low as $60 shipped and easily $70 shipped (all tax free) so unless the TRU variant looks a ton better, includes some nice accessories (not sure what that would be) or comes in 20% under that possible MSRP then I'd take the Takara personally. They need to do something more along the lines of the Soundwave release where you get a lot more for a bit less or a lot less. Something more in the $39.99 price though that's doubtful given Leader class stuff rolls out at what? $44.99?

6. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My 2 cents.I was able to find all the MP Transformers at my TRU.

7. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Yup, and 100$ used to get me Takara MP-01, or MP-03, or MP-05 shipped!!! Now they are almost double of more for new molds!!! Yeah, Hyperinflation is an under-statement.

Anyways, good thing Smokescreen doesn't even need extra launchers, and looks so damn beautiful. The launchers for Prowl are pretty much needed to give him the ultimate look, and yeah, he looks awesome with it.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    YES! Another MP for TRU to not stock!
    Honestly, why do they even bother?

My 2 cents.
    There are 11 TRU stores within 50 miles of each other and they never have any of the MP Transformers in stock.

9. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Re: exclusivity, and price vis-a-vis the Takara version

To be fair, we don't really have a precedent for this price-point of MP yet. All of the TRU-exclusive MPs to date have been larger.

10. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Well, I already have all 3 280z boys, I missed Red Alert And Sideswipe, but have Sideswipe's Reissue PO'd at BBTS. And $60.... I can live with an extra $20 for the Takara ones seeing as how BBTS is way more reliable than being able to get one from TRU.

$20 is well worth not having a headache at the end of the day fighting with scalpers and other real collectors trying to get one. If I can get one for a spare, and it's cheaper than $60, and there is enough difference....maybe. But not likely still worth fighting others at TRU.com, and since none of the three TRUs around me even had one single Soundwave, nor did two of them carry a single Prime, and the one that did got one case total in....you can imagine they did not last by the time I got there to look.

Screw Toys R Us, I can't believe they are even still in business, high prices and they nevr have anything in stock except peg warmers from 3 - 5 lines ago that they refuse to clearance. The one closest to me still has a couple Skus of ROTF at today's prices hanging around. Another still has Animated....The last thing I bought from them because I couldn't find them anywhere else and was surprised they had them as cheap as they did....plus I had a coupon....was the TMNT Classics Turtles like a year and a half ago, I would have bought MP Soundwave, but I missed out twice, and paid around $170 for him, MISB, perfectly mint box, on Ebay....still well worth the money even at $50 over, especially when others were selling for $200+ at the time.

11. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Frick. Of course Prowl is the only one I had pre-ordered.

12. ucdavisboy

ucdavisboy Well-Known Member

There's been a pattern/history of the issue with lack of stock being available in larger urban/suburban areas. I have various theories for why this is but I don't know anything for a fact-just hunches. Maybe its all Mitt Romney's fault lmao

13. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At $40 I might get him, if he costs more I'll pass. I already have too many Transformers I'm trying to hide from my girlfriend :) 

14. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $25 is a ridiculously low price. $35-$40 would be more reasonable considering the sheer amount of paint.

15. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    Wish we got Sideswipe first.

16. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Neat but I already have two Takara MP Prowls (and the bonus shoulder rockets for free). Not sure how HasTRU can improve on the mold unless they throw in a sticker sheet and/or give him (garish) tampos on his shoulders and alt mode (similar to MP Thundercracker).

At the very least, this proves that the Nissan license is easy peasy lemon squeezy for HasTak to work with. I'm guess the Lambo and Lancia licenses will be much more difficult to acquire for a State-side release and is probably why the Lambo molds were skipped by TRU (just speculation).

17. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Since I go to TRU anyway, it's not costing me any extra gas. So $60 for the TRU version is not any worse than buying from an online/overseas retailer. If I find it, great. If I don't, I won't lose sleep. So I don't see the advantage in buying online.
    If TRU jacks up the price even further (it's already too high, unless there are extras) I'll pass. They do have an annoying tendency to do that. See the recent ASM/Captain America Marvel Legends for an example. But I'm glad they're still around, as I don't want retail toys to depend only on Target/Walmart.

18. mfic99us

mfic99us Stunticon

Ebay:
    That's awesome news! I already have the Takara version, but dammit if I want this one too:) 

19. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

The only Masterpieces any of the 3 TRU had was Grimlock for $70 still beating myself to death over that, I had it in my hands looking at him, but put him down because I couldn't justify at the time the $70.... Then, when I got over it....gone.

One got a single case of the Hasbro MP-10 Prime, and they had Thundercracker and one got a single case of Rodimus. Other than those which comes from calling and walking in multiple times....they never had a single one, not even Soundwave or Acid Storm. The buy online store pick-up didn't work because none of the stores here had them....

And about teh Grimlock, now it's a common thing for me to pay like that, hell I paid $110 for Metroplex, $170 for MP TRU Soundwave (Ebay), $80 x 3 for the Datsuns....have Sideswipe, Wheeljack, Magnus and Bumblebee PO'd and collect MOTUC.... So, spending money however frivolous is much easier now, so long as everything else is paid for. But, Magnus may be the highest I go, and as far as $200 for Grimlock now...nah, I can live, but Magnus is the one MP I have been wishing for so, I'll find the dough one time for something over $150 to get him. I passed on MOTUC Grayskull, I didn't feel the value was there, plus I don't have the room for it.

20. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I was originally going to buy a Masterpiece Sideswipe if it was released in the US and donate it to the next Christmas toy drive along with a AOE Leader Class Grimlock. But a while ago I was told the news was false. Now that this might be, I guess I'll be donating a Masterpiece Prowl and a Leader Class Grimlock this year.