Masterpiece Prowl US release as TRU exclusive!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Icespark, Jan 23, 2014.

1. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

The two repeated price arguments are by size and the Takara prices. Hasbro/Takara generally prices things by class, something that does not have a direct relationship with production costs. For example, typically a deluxe costs maybe 50% more than legend, and while part of that represents an increase in production cost, it doesn't mean that production costs were increased by 50%. They're basically making you pay more for a nicer toy because that's how much they think you'd pay for the nicer toy.

While I don't agree with the $60 price tag, I can see Hasbro viewing MP's as a class of toy. If you ask me it's dumb to call MP Prowl a large deluxe or a small voyager. He's an MP and they're a whole different animal from the usual lines, even a leader class. So giving MP Prowl and MP Thundercracker relatively equal pricing might make sense to Hasbro, given that they're both Masterpiece products, and especially if they think people would willingly pay the price.

but if you really want to harp on size/production, consider that the cost of materials is a relatively small part of the overall cost. Going purely by height, because it's a convenient measure, Prowl is about 3/4 the size of Thundercracker, so you figure 3/4 the material costs. How much of a cost difference could that be for a mass manufacturer paying wholesale price? I'd be surprised if there was much more than a dollar or two per unit between the two. However the toys are equally intricate, so the cost of assembly is probably close as it doesn't really matter that the parts are somewhat smaller. So from the cost side there's maybe a slight difference in materials but everything else involved in production and distribution is more or less the same.

So the other point is the Takara price, and Hasbro's trend of pricing below Takara in the past. But the two companies make their own pricing decisions with the only real rules being 1) how much do they need to charge to cover production/distribution costs and 2) how much do they think people will pay to make as much profit as possible.

Each company essentially makes their own decisions so there's no established trend or relation. By that faulty logic we should have been slamming Takara for every MP release for years by shouting that since Hasbro found a way to release previous MP's for less so why was Takara pre-emptively ripping us off? Hasbro gave us MP grimlock for about 75% of the cost of Takara, but when MP-10 came out the next year, the price wasn't declared as overinflated, instead most of us drooled at how glorious the thing was. Ask any MP-10 owner if they felt serious regret when TRU MP-OP came out at $120 a year later. Betcha people who do are in the minority.

Hasbro bundled MP-13/15/16 for less than 2/3's what Takara asked for because they weren't confident that their markets would pay the higher price. As someone that purchased the Takara versions, I wouldn't have been shocked if TRU soundwave was priced over $150 or even close to $200, instead TRU/Hasbro came out at what I think was $125. Their reason certainly wasn't because they were trying to be kind to the consumer or they had to follow some sort of Takara/Hasbro price law. So if they feel confident that there are people who would pay $50-$60 for MP-Prowl, why would they care that Takara was selling him for $20 less? Anyway I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with the few details known so far, if he comes with extra items it makes sense that their be a higher price. An extra launcher alone would make me willing to pay an extra $5-10.

I understand that people feel the need to vent their frustration at being "ripped" off, but it's our own fault the prices have increased. So many of us have purchased marked up MP imports from third party retailers that there's no doubt that the clever numbers people at Hasbro checked out those outlets and thought "hey a ton of people are willing to pay $80 for Prowl, let's price him at $60 and they'll probably consider it a deal." And let's be honest, quite a few of us would, if you can't live with that price, move to Asia. OMG, in retrospect, TL;DR.

2. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Great news...and my jaw did a sllooow drop! I hope this is true!

3. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

So glad to see this figure getting a US release. I'd much rather pay $60 plus sales tax than $80 plus international shipping.

Of course, my local TRU sucks at getting stuff in stock, but maybe I can snag one online.

Then again, given how Acid Storm and Platinum Ultra Magnus are shelf warming right now I may not have to...

4. magick

magick Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It just means they'll order even less than they did of MP Prime. So these might be even harder to find. Then again, these are smaller and take up a lot less space on the shelf. So that might make them order more of them.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    why would i get the hasbro, most likely unpainted version, for more than i paid for the takara shipped?

6. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

I'll buy it. Don't want to have the situation with scalpers as with the other recent TRU exclusive MPs.

7. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Interested to see the actual price point. I've been getting my MP cars from HLJ for cheap.

8. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This

9. ty_starr

ty_starr Well-Known Member

I have the Takara version, but if this has a toy accurate deco I will pick it up

10. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Remind me again how the Hasbro MP Soundwave was inferior to the Takara version?

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    One minor missing paint app and yellow eyes. *rollseyes*

12. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

On top of it being 10 years ago, you were spreading out licensing costs over a main line. This is a limited run exclusive so the cost is much greater per piece to license.

That was the question the whole time as to whether the car bots would see a US release, covering the licensing costs. And apparently this is the result, a much higher than expected price.

13. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    And painted chests and knees on TRU Frenzy and Rumble instead of chromed like the Takara figures.

14. MagnusPrimal

I don't know what paint app you're referring to, and the yellow eyes is purely a subjective complaint.
    Whoops, I think I misread your post. Sorry.

15. JunkersHVN

JunkersHVN Well-Known Member

After the troubles I had with the last couple of TRU Masterpieces I got, my immediate thought is, "what kind of QC issues this one will have?" Will over half of them have two left hands or two right hands? Will they suffer from mis-molded parts or re-molded joints that don't work right? Will they just change the colors and then only send out 2 per TRU store with no more to ever appear?

16. MagnusPrimal

I prefer paint over chrome most of the time, and I got the cassettes with Soundwave instead of paying $60 for them. So... that doesn't seem "inferior" to me.
    It just gets old with everyone praising the Takara version over the Hasbro one, when we know nothing about the Hasbro version at this point.

17. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Waaaaay overpriced if true.
    In Japan MP cars are pretty mucht the same price as Generations and mainline voyagers. So $30~35 would be an acceptable price for this.
    As it is, the US price is actually higher than the retail price was in Japan.

18. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Good news for scalpers!

19. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    A spot of silver on the feet.

Yeah, I know and it's an easy fix to boot. First thing I did was pop that head apart.

It's cool.:) 

Right, especially with how spotty some of the chrome was on SW to begin with. I fiddle with the cassetticons all time, I don't need the chrome rubbing off.

Agreed.

20. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I like the chrome on the cassettes because the G1 figures had it.

Going off the Soundwave minor missing paint apps on his feet, and lack of G1 style chrome apps on the cassettes, it wouldn't seem a bid deal to own the Hasbro instead of Takara, especially with the price difference. Even with the TRU MP Optimus that has an unpainted red cab vs the fully painted cab of the MP10 Takara version, and the unpainted trailer guts vs the fully painted Takara trailer, there's not a huge difference in finish quality given the original selling price.

The problem is, most people paid the same for the Takara Prowl through importers as Hasbro wants for the TRU version. Now if it turns out that it has an unpainted car mode like TRU Optimus did, raw plastic just does not look as good as painted plastic. Of course if they sold it for $30, an unpainted figure is not a big deal, but for the same price as a fully painted Takara, to me it would be disappointing. Even at inflated BBTS pricing, an extra few bucks would be worth it for me to have better paint apps. But for each their own...