Masterpiece Prowl in 1/25 scale

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jarrod, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow, the resulting build is just insane man. Calling it a masterpiece does it injustice!

Amusingly, at first I was wondering why the window edges looked funny.. then realized it was actually the reflection off of the metallic :) 

2. x01618

x01618 Autobot

Ebay:
    I tend to be a lurker on these boards. It's just my style... probably because I'm otherwise long-winded. :eek:  I do enjoy admiring various artists' customs from simple to complex, and to be sure there are many talented Radicons around.

But, I have to say this project specifically has been incredibly exciting for me for a number of reasons. For one, Prowl is a favorite character of mine. For another, the absolute thoroughness of the documentation Jarrod decided to provide us with has been really enlightening. I could never hope to pull off those customizing tricks, but I can appreciate the final product the more for understanding them. Finally, as it turns out, I am one of the lucky bastards that ended up with up with one of these masterpieces (mine is #2, as it happens).

And when I say "masterpiece", I mean it in the true sense of the word. This isn't just a figure that's about the right height compared to official Masterpiece toys, this is a work of art in the medium of model kit and styrene. The amount of pure love poured into this thing if obvious from the extensive photo documentation, and I must say it is somehow even more impressive in person.

The level of detail is incredible -- not just inherited from the Gundam parts, but also extensively hand-sculpted in styrene with terrific precision, plus whole parts and accessories basically scratch-made. There's no metal in it to give it much weight, but the sheen and durable texture on the car body gives it the feeling of a diecast car model. All of the paint apps are very precise, and I'd agree with Jarrod's previous assertion that the lines look very crisp in person even though some of the pics seem to betray bleed-over. And the articulation is excellent -- very expressive. Jarrod didn't allow kibble to get in the way of posing.

My favorite parts about this custom are the proportions and the head sculpt. Jarrod fit an awful lot of robot into a car of that size. The grill-for-chest design runs the risk of feeling top-heavy and awkward if the figure doesn't have the lower body to balance it out. The G1 toy has these awkward proportions (but, hey, it's G1!) and the Classics version cheats a bit by chopping off the wheel-wells on the sides, thereby narrowing the silhouette. I think this custom gets the proportions perfect. And for me the head just screams "Prowl". The facial expression is spot on -- a broad disapproving frown, the crest is just the right shape, and I certainly never would have otherwise known it started out as an Alt Prowl head.

Anyway, I wanted to give an "in-hand" account of this custom. My photo skillz aren't great and I have a cheap camera, but here's a pic of Prowl in his new home.

[​IMG]

3. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

^dude he looks great with the other so called masterpieces. where is the arcee from?

4. x01618

x01618 Autobot

Ebay:
    Arcee is the Summer Wonderfest 2010 statue with a custom head by spoonman and paints by Shinobitron. Props to those guys too!

5. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    best prowl ever

[​IMG]

6. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Beautiful. This looks better than the actual "mp" release. Usually with customs that Ive seen they have janky bits or a slight disproportion to them. This thing is right up there with the Jetfire I saw a while back. Truly a beauty!

7. Fisitronus

Fisitronus Wrecker

I've been checking out the documentation for these beautiful figures since the beginning of this project. This piece was made from true skill. I wish I had that kind of precision and creativity like Jarrod has. This figure truly is worthy of having the name of masterpiece! Great Job dude! I hope the owners of these pieces of art enjoy it!

8. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Wow. That is indeed a masterpiece. Excellent job.

9. ZedzDead

ZedzDead decepticon sabatour

Ebay:
    Jarrod, you are a master of your craft. you inspire us all my friend. Z

10. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 In it for the engineering

News Credits:
    My god...

11. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

-sniff- its so beautiful. -tear drop-

12. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

Also you could redeco this into Bluestreak

13. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

I can only agree with what everyone else has already said... Truly an epic custom. This is the ultimate high standard! :thumb 

14. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Thanks guys!

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I think I just came...

I want one so very badly, it's everything that I imagined a Masterpiece Prowl could ever be.

16. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry I haven't commented on the final product, especially since I was following it for the last year but what can I say that everyone else hasn't said yet. This is awesome. Your masterpiece works are definitely the untimate refinement of the G1 characters they were meant to represent. Kudos and am looking forward to your next work.

17. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

That is genuinely astonishing work. The vehicle mode is Alternator grade accurate, and the robot mode looks like Prowl stepped right out of the G1 comic.
    Aesthetically speaking, Prowl has always been my favourite G1 Autobot design, and I think that's the finest representation of it I've ever seen.
    Ever.
    Bravo, and indeed encore!

18. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    inspirational!!!

19. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Amazing work!!

20. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits: