Masterpiece Prowl canceled for Europe

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  2. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Nah, sucks for hasbro.

I think that 999 out of 1000 UK folk had already preordered and got him from takara by now, and with import costs and all, he was still around 60 pounds or cheaper.

Hasbro Europe/UK really shot themselves on the foot with the pricing of this bot.

Things like deluxes/leaders/voyagers etc are generally ok at their "regular" prices because they are available for mass retail, targeted at all age groups etc.

Prowl [and the rest of the MP figures] are targeted at a group that can generally shop around, and are aware of better deals for each individual figure; and in this case, I don't think there's one fan in the UK that wanted this, hasn't gotten it yet, but thought "hey I can now get if off the shelf for the exact same price it would cost me to import him from the other side of the world".

3. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    I don't have any MP figures, I'd love to, as I love G1 but I like collecting my movie figures.

What was the reason for cancelling it anyway? My local TRU sells MP's very well! I first went in and there were MP Acid Storms everywhere, now there are about 2 or 3 left?

4. yummehcheese

yummehcheese Well-Known Member

I agree that MP's have been selling pretty well over here. You don't normally see any a few months after release, unless the box is beat up, which is the case with Acid Storm at the moment.

Grimlock's still listed on the website, so I'm hoping he makes it. Same with Sunstorm. But you can't really be sure with Hasbro UK anymore.

As for Prowl, though it doesn't bother me too much because I bought the Takara version, it's obviously a blow to some collectors who hadn't gotten around to importing it. But they'd be better off, it could be cheaper than buying it for £60 from TRU.

5. TheReynster

TheReynster Member

Quite frustrating as it may mess up the new numbering system that they introduced with Acid Storm and Soundwave.

I have the Takara version but will try to get hold of the Hasbro one.

6. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Wonder if it's a licensing issue? Unlike the other MPs listed, Prowl is a real world car with a real world manufacturer in Nissan, there might be trouble getting the license for a European release right now.

7. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Sod 'em. KO it is then.

8. Lycanthropic Tendencies

Lycanthropic Tendencies Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. Hasbro UK has always been terrible when it comes to providing the UK with Hasbro stuff, and importing Hasbro products often ends up pricier than importing Takara.
    They're becoming less and less relevant.

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    unlikely given how Nissan is have a few Transformers products out right now. Also I find it unlikely that Hasbro would get the license for all but say 20 country's let alone not check before they start selling them to suppliers. I'd think its far more possible that they simply get a global license to make the toy and this way they can do what ever. They have done similar things before Skipped Alt SideSwipe and then almost a year later we had DeadEnd showing up both Vipers.

Also Its Hasbro UK they f**k up almost every time its shocking how pointless they are. If you want to point the blame else ware its also quite common for things to be canned in the UK/EU to give extra stock to the US.

10. Middleman

Middleman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's real sad... :( 

I can never understand it sometimes. Back when it first came out (G1) all of the cars were either genuine licensed Japanese, American or European car designs (ie. Jazz Porsche, Wheeljack Lancia, Hound Jeep, Prowl Nissan etc) and yet now they can't do anything about getting them at all into an actual toy form today? What gives? Like the Dino/Mirage fiasco. They can't release it worldwide as a Ferrari because Mattel supposedly holds exclusivity over the Ferrari licence. So now it's a fake Audi R8 (in Japan at least). It was my bro's FAVE TF - why can't they just do cross-over licences/agreements with them and make it? The way they work just sucks sometimes...

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The numbering system will hold true. But if you are a completionist, you're gonna have to import it from somewhere else.

12. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

Hasbro has been let down Europe for years. I, just as most EU fans allready imported the takara version anyway. We are used to it by now and don't count on hasbro.

Even if they did come trough, it be more expensive then importing from Japan anyway.

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Not a single G1 toy had a licensed alternate mode. Back then, car companies didn't care about toys based on their cars as much as they do these days.

14. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    basically this. Back in the 80's the laws were not quite at strict and frankly many just didn't care.

However at somepoint in the early 90's car company's suddenly started see $$$ in licensing.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Nobody in the 80's gave a shit about anything.

16. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Well I don't care because I live in America

17. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting - wonder if it's a licensing issue that only affects the prowl release OR if they are canning the MP line completely in Europe...

18. Lycanthropic Tendencies

Lycanthropic Tendencies Well-Known Member

Probably neither. They didn't release MP Thundercracker here either, yet gladly released Acidstorm later, so it seems to be random.
    Then again, iirc correctly, they didn't release Alt Prowl because they thought black and white police cars wouldn't be recognized, so maybe there's a similar (faulty) logic here.

19. motorthing

motorthing Don't blink you might miss.........

News Credits:
    Fuck Hasbro UK and all who sail in them. Clueless on price, clueless on stock, just clueless twats.

Or perhaps not, because I'm half convinced they don't actually exist anymore.

20. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    So why bother posting?