Masterpiece Prowl, Animation Version

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jacer, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Probably only a large, ugly CE marking on the Hasbro version.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Not if it isn't being sold in Europe.

3. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    There was a magazine ad of sort quoting it would come out as a US Hasbro in a separate thread. Did it change course?

4. ShawnBerger4Mayor1985

ShawnBerger4Mayor1985 Shawn Berger Campaign Manager

So was there no new info at all about MP-17+ or MP-29+ at the show?

5. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Thoughts on full-on cartoon accuracy, mainly for @Dean ML (and anyone else who cares :lol ):

Why did 12+ get white elbows and hips

[​IMG]

While Prowl seems to be a little less cartoon accurate by retaining the black elbow joints and black neck joint of the original MP-17?

[​IMG]

I think it simply must be to do with the manufacturing process. In the case of Sideswipe, perhaps the elbow joints and thigh joints were on the same sprue-set as each other, alongside a couple of other white pieces. They were able to make them white without affecting the overall look.

In the case of Prowl, it's possible that the elbow and neck joints share a sprue-set with other parts that would look strange if they were made white instead of staying black (such as the sides of his chest, or the backs of his doors?

I can't think why else they wouldn't go the extra mile as they did with 12+.

I wonder if a potential MP-21+ might run into the same problems in terms of making the inside of his feet and his neck joints yellow as well. For all we know, they could be on the same set as his shoulders, or hands, or thigh joints.

[​IMG]

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but we could end up with small sacrifices like this for 13+, 18+ and 20+ as well.

(No idea if sprue-set is the right term, but I think y'all get my meaning ;) )

• Like Like x 11
  6. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait- wasn’t red alert also a general release to tie in with inferno?

7. ShawnBerger4Mayor1985

Kinda sucks, but that does seem very plausible.

No, so far Sideswipe was the only + release that was a general release. Red Alert's + release was timed to tie in with Inferno's release, but it was an exclusive. Just like Prowl, Shockwave, & Megatron. + releases are definitely trending towards being exclusives, at least so far. Which is annoying, since then they can't be preordered through Japanese sites for the discount... It was nice getting Sideswipe+ with the discount through Amazon Japan.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Except the elbows are white but the hips are light grey. You can clearly see the difference in your own pics.

9. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Don't know if you actually own 12+, but the reason the hips appear grey to you (apart from shadows) is because the joint behind them is black, and the white plastic is not fully opaque. Those joints being black also probably coincides with my theory.

(fwiw, none of the pics I posted are mine)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    This is an interesting topic, and these things would drive me crazy if I was a little more pedantic about my collection hahah.

It's probably a testament to my lack of attention to detail, but I didn't even notice those black areas on MP-17+ until they were pointed out :oops: . I think the screws on his gun are a bigger sin, all things considered.

At a glance (and purely in my opinion), MP-17+ hits cartoon ‘accuracy’ targets far better than MP-12+, despite the differences in those areas you've mentioned - I think this is predominantly thanks to his more animation-faithful sculpt in general.

I know I’m beating a dead horse, but even with the '+' additions, MP-12 (and by extension MP-14) remains only slightly less out of place than MP-10 in the current Masterpiece line-up. Bring on MP-12/14 V2!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    The screws on his gun are awful, and I certainly hope they don't end up on the final version.

[​IMG]

I don't know what justifies them, except for some kind of Hasbro safety regulations.

I think that the differences in 12+ went a long way towards making him more toon accurate in the illusion of longer legs and a smaller chest, but I agree that 17+ works better automatically because the sculpt is more cartoon accurate. Part of the reason why I don't think we'll see a redo of Prowl or Wheeljack at any point, really. I'm right there with you regarding Sideswipe though, I'd love a V2 with the articulation of Sunstreaker, some alternate facial expressions, and a rocket pack that's compatible with the new Optimus :thumb  (let's get the rest of the Arkbots first though, right? ;) )

• Like Like x 6
  12. Shockwave81

News Credits:
    Always happy to get more Arkbots heheh.

Being totally selfish, I’d throw most of them under the bus for a toon accurate Red Alert, but I’ll wait my turn so that others can get their desired characters. :p 

The screws on the gun are terribad. I agree with your theory on possible safety regulations.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Ah in that case you definitely deserve a more toon-accurate Red Alert, too! There's a bit more they need to get right with him.

The way I see it, from here on out with MPs now being a 'premium' line in terms of articulation, accessories and animation accuracy, every successfully licensed release adds to the line's good reputation and brings us one step closer to Porsche acquiescing to Jazz. If we get all the Arkbots except Jazz, then a newly upgraded Sideswipe and Red Alert can't do any harm.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. I hadn't noticed that before but yeah those screws mess the gun up. I hope they don't appear on the final production copies.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shockwave81

News Credits:
    As a side note, and echoing statements from others, I’m also not looking forward to possible changes in packaging.

I love the TT MP packaging, and keep all of my boxes for transport, accessory storage, and even resale value on the rare occasion I sell something.

Having some nasty looking box in the midst of all that ‘polished’ packaging will be an irritation for me. This is going to be an interesting release for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ShawnBerger4Mayor1985

I am right there with you. I want MP-17+ in the standard TT MP packaging, but I'm expecting it to come in some ugly Hasbro box... The only two MPs that break my TT packaging streak as of now are my MP-1 Optimus and Acid Storm both being in Hasbro boxes. Since MP-1 Optimus is so out of scale, I don't mind that one being in different packaging, but Acid Storm's box is an eyesore to me. And that he is in jet mode when I put them back away, but all 7 other Seekers can stay in bot mode is also irritating. I'm really hoping despite the odds that this comes in the typical TT box, just with maybe a small Hasbro label slapped on it somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Well with any luck these:

[​IMG]

are perhaps the designs for a sticker that will be placed over the end flaps of the TT box? That way most of the rest of the box will remain the same. I've ordered mine from AE, but I imagine a lot of people have ordered the Hasbro version too.

Strange that it's labelled as being made in Vietnam - I'm pretty sure the original 17-19 were made in China.

• Like Like x 4
  18. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    All has/tak's Transformers are made in Vietnam now. been that way for a good few years now.

19. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    if you hate the screws so much paint them white for fuck's sake. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    No they aren't. Inferno and Grapple were made in China.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.