Masterpiece MP-54 Reboost (Red Diaclone Honda City "Skids" repaint)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sam, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Perhaps that's a fair assessment if you didn't start collecting MPs until 2017 and are oblivious to the toys that came before that. However, Reboost fits in perfectly with other Hasui-style MPs like Prowl, Wheeljack, MP-10 OP, Lambor, Tracks, etc. Considering it's a Diaclone homage of a toy that never had a character in the cartoon, what would be the point of making a cartoon-styled MP figure of him?

I think it's ok if toon-MP collectors pass on this one, but not all of them will. And those who appreciated the earlier hybrid design will snatch him up with enthusiasm. The original goal of the MP line wasn't cartoon accuracy, after all. It was meant to be an ultimate depiction of the character if it were real-- not limited to the toy engineering capabilities OR animation quality of 1984.

• Like Like x 6
  2. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I hear what your 're saying. The earlier Hasui MPs followed the Dreamwave esthetics; updating the toy-look while borrowing elements from the G1 Sunbow animation models where it made sense. Leaving the car kibble visable, adding panel lines and getting rid of the more simplistic and rounded Sunbow animation models. Both Sidedwipe and Prowl look a lot like Don's take on them in the G1 ongoing.

While Skids and Reboost do emulate that style I feel that their designs put way more emphesis on getting a pristine car mode, including car mode gimmicks and high 'car accuracy', while less priority was given to bot mode; proportions seem a bit off. That's why I called them Neo Alternators.

The Hasui MPs had more balance to them/better looking bot modes while perhaps sacrificing some of the car accuracy. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway people should buy what they like. I'm glad that there are options for everybody out there now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. I've got Crosscut on preorder and I've never bought a non-KO G1 Masterpiece before. At this point, I just want high-quality Transformer toys that hit that sweet spot of classic-but-detailed, intricate-yet-fun, and if the MP price point is the way to do it, god bless them. I hope they do more.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

They certainly should, and I hope more options are coming. If this mold sells well, perhaps TT will offer more Hasui-style MPs-- or whatever they wish to call them-- in the near future. This will be the first new MP I've bought since Cordon (discounting Hound, which had no QC issues, but I just hated the look, feel, and transformation of it so I got rid of it). Three years was a long wait.

5. aniline

aniline Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Anyone know if they’ve given this guy a bio? Tech specs?

8. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Specs will be on the card, his bio will be on the instructions. I'm sure someone will do a quick translation til Soundwave's Oblivion gets around too it. They normally come up with something clever for the diaclone telesses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. It 101% will have a newly created retconned extended bio and tech specs. Our very own community treasure @oblivion01 will probably get cracking on the translation just as soon as I scan the documents and send them to him this weekend.

The retconned Diaclone extended bios are my absolute favorite by the way.

My favorite is Delta Magnus’s. @oblivion01 has a write up and translations here. Soundwaves Oblivion: Transformer Toy Archive: Masterpiece Delta Magnus MP-31

Turns out Delta died eons ago and is actually Powerdrive just in the armor. Powerdrive was the little buggy that came with the original Powered Convoy jic someone didn’t know.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jackisking

News Credits:
    D@mn, I should read those things more, Deltas was kind of cool.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very interesting they've used the "CITY" logo on the box instead of the Honda logo!

Never knew the buggy had a name, I always just called it Powered Buggy. Also, did they get that idea from IDW comics?!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Heriatan

Heriatan Well-Known Member

Oh my Primus, the MP that everyone wants!!! 

13. 9999eachhit

9999eachhit Well-Known Member

hmmmm i\'m still on the fence about this. I was sold a bit more after PrimeVsPrime\'s review but I just don\'t know. The real reason I want it is just to tickle my transformer bone which hasn\'t been itched in a long time. Help me decide!!!

14. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    It’s low priced and back to the basics of what an MP should be. The transformation is still MP and it isn’t that simple, certainly more steps than the mainline transformations unless you count Jetfire or Rodimus Prime. I’m glad I ordered this and Skids.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a little hard to tell, but it seems that they change/corrected his title from Citadel Guardia to Guardian?

Either way, he's looking great. Also nice to see him in the tray - it helps give me a better sense of the alt mode size.

16. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    It seems they did for sure :)  very cool in my opinion.

I was chatting with some other people about the City logo being an odd choice and I was reminded that Tracks had the Corvette logo similarly. So it’s not unprecedented.

Likely it’s just that the City has its own recognition and that logo is a big deal in its own right over a Honda logo. More iconic maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  17. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    While Delta’s was by far the most interesting, they’re all pretty cool.

Cordon was a chef. I think it means his name is a play on Gordon (Ramsey) but most disagree haha. Loudpedal is a musician, and Exhaust is a corporate spy that works in some ‘company that makes cancer sticks’ or something equally obvious lol.

I don’t remember much about road rage other than it mentions crosscut in the mp line like 6 full years ago.

Oh yeah blue bluestreak was surrounded in mystery and Spinout sort of alluded as to what that was about. The Diaclone universe just might be in the same universe as the MP universe afterall :eek: 

18. MehWave

MehWave Well-Known Member

This guy would totally work for me as an MP Earth-moded Orion Pax.

Yeah, I just made up my own lore, too bad.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Masterpiece" and "City" logos next to each other...

MP Metroplex confirmed!

• Like Like x 3
  20. jackisking

News Credits:
    I know Spinout's mentioned the Wauraders from the Diaclone Universe...was really hoping for an Insecticon announcement:oops: 

• Like Like x 1