Masterpiece MP-49 Black Convoy Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by DukeFett, Nov 26, 2019.

1. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster ...

News Credits:
    GOOD PART COME! TELL SWOOP GOOD PART!

I'm still happy they at least noticed and made the effort to take action, but I of course wish said action was more extreme and led to more long-term positives than what we've seen so far.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Overall I'm happy I bought 49 but the knees and hips are way too loose. I'm really hoping that gets tweaked for future 44 repaints/reissues. Also my 49 has a lot of trouble holding his rifle. It works in the end on the shelf but every time I move the arm the gun gets loose and I have to re-position it. That one is frustrating because it's an issue that has come up several times before on different figures. I would like them to change the way the guns attach to the hands. The Maketoys headmasters from years ago had an interesting design where the gun handle slid into a slot in the hand. Kind of like how Prime V3's gun mounts to the back of the cab in alt mode. It was completely fool-proof and stable.

I've transformed 49 a lot more than 44 because I'm not as worried about paint scuffs. The transformation is really not that complex and has the typical Takara hints as to where things should go. I don't find it bad at all and it's quite satisfying.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Vakamadisk

Vakamadisk Well-Known Member

This has to be the worst Black Convoy I’ve ever played with, and I like all the Black Convoys I’ve collected over the years. This one, however, felt like junk (to quote Bobby Skullface). The floppy knees make it hard for me to stand him up straight; his right forearm doesn’t want to tab together; there are stress marks already present out of the box (a nasty one under his left chest window); and his gun likes to pop out of his hand. Very disappointing, especially since I love my MP-44. Being a Black Convoy fan, I thought MP-49 would be one of the best evil Primes around; I was wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    It's definitely blue paint, I have paint wear on the legs of mine (very minimal) and his hands.

I didn't have 29+ long enough to know how that paint might wear, I do feel like that was a glossy top coat.

But I agree Prime's paint is quite similar to Ironhide on both the blue and red. I have some wear on my old Ironhide (which you'll see soon enough!) that took a long time to develop, and the wear is quite similar.

Good balanced review there. My regular MP-44 has difficulty holding his rifle in his right hand. Some black paint on the tab of the rifle helped that, though it's already wearing away. I only did two coats, so maybe I'll do a few more coats and then a coat of future for good measure. It's super solid on the left hand so I don't mind this system, I just wish it was consistent.

My regular MP-44 also has that issue of the right forearm not tabbing together (the outer tab sometimes unclips) but it's gotten a bit better over time. It's a weird issue alright.

For everyone who has one, is the grey paint on his sides holding up well?

• Like Like x 2
  5. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    mines holds his gun better if I remove the hand and then place it back on. Go figure:) 

• Like Like x 2
  6. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I’m not 100% sure that the grey paint is better but I believe it is. I tend to be super careful with my figures and my 44 is still perfect so I’m most likely not the right person to give an opinion. But I think if it was an issue we would have heard about it by now and seen some evidence in pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jackisking

News Credits:
    its better, was going to put a coat on it anyway,as the stripe sees a lot of traffic, but have nt yet after a couple of transformations and its holding up.

• Like Like x 2
  8. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Dang it there goes that theory :lol  Now I'm afraid to check more carefully for blue paint chips on my Prime's legs, ha. So I think the bottom line is that you need to finally get Inferno and compare his red to Ironhide's and figure out why they look subtly different :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  9. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks @Jarrod for that as it can apply to MP-44 as well. Where did you get styrene sheets by the way? What width would you think would be the best for the circular piece? 0.25mm like you used or something a bit wider? Also could ABS work?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  10. emmsnake

emmsnake Active Member

So if this has been discussed already, I am sorry. My MP 49 has a very lose waist. I have seen loose hips and knees discussed, but unsure about the waist. Basically the waist floats a little bit and it jiggles a good amount. I have checked multiple times to make sure everything has tabbed in. Any idea of what I can do to fix this? I don't want to return it to the manufacturer, but if that is my only option, then I may.

11. jackisking

News Credits:
    haven't had a problem with the waist so to speak when pegged in. You might want to try tightening some of the screws as some of them had a good quarter turn left. you may have just gotten a bad one.

12. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I wasn't seriously planning on getting this guy but @Dachande gave a price that was too good to pass up. Now I have to look at Agent539's breakdown of Prime and decide if I want to paint the bare trousers.
    20200821_192219.jpg

20200822_143441.jpg

20200822_144137.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 14
  13. jkliao648

jkliao648 Active Member

The problem is that there is no screw to tighten up. The wobbly waist rotation is due to the tab to unlock the waist motion being too tight. As a result, the pin tighten the waist getting pulled out a bit when you try to unlock the tab. This leads to a loose waist. Mine is also wobbly. And I remember it wasn't like this when I first transform it. I just have the fear that one day I will pull the whole pin out.

14. jackisking

News Credits:
    So you're talking about the actual rivet? You may want to see what advice @Jarrod or @BrutiKing can give. I know a couple of people were unintentionally loosening the rivet trying to engage abcrunch becaue they were pulling directly rivet loosening up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Everything, right now, shining in hope.

News Credits:
    the rivet can also be accidentally loosened when the ab crunch is not engage and you try to rotate the waist swivel further than it should go.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AndyPurro

AndyPurro Cancerous Pyro Main

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Long story short:

- I broke my first MP-44 doing a mod (Worn screw which broke the pelvis making it impossible to reassemble)

- got an used replacement from ebay.

- Apparently the replacement MP-44 is alot more sturdy in the joints

-Also there is no knee tab so I got a similar knee fix to MP-49
    9201DF2E-CB24-4E19-8C41-16E184B6DDE2.jpeg
    I didn't receive the KO either, as he was painted, and he is sturdy as hell and it cannot have been modified as there isn't any indication of the tab being snapped off. Possible running change in MP-44 that nobody didn't know about?

P e r h a p s

also said knee fix doesn't bug me at all as I've initially thought as I have unexpectedly had it in my hands for a few days, they aren't floppy like Black Convoy either.

possibly the most welcome surprise ever lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    Judging from the photo, it looks like they might have shaved the piece straight off, but nice find!
    C253F25B-4E4F-4B58-8498-9E56DA388268.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  18. jkliao648

jkliao648 Active Member

It probably happened when I first transform the figure back into the alt mode. Any idea this can be fixed? I tried to push the rivet back in, but no luck. Does that require specific tools?

19. jackisking

News Credits:
    I think you have to heat the rivet up then you can push it back in. Think you can use a soldering iron to heat the rivet you just have to be careful. Havent tried it yet personally, so you may want to wait for one of the other guys to confirm.

20. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    This is currently the only thing (probably) on MP-44 that I really cannot figure out how to properly fix yet. Your best bet is to follow jack’s comment, or maybe wrap string at the base of the pin? At least that’s what I’ve heard.