Masterpiece Movie: Could it perform better than G1/Beast Wars MP?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Jan 12, 2017.

?

Will Movie Masterpiece perform better than G1/BW MPs?

1. Yes

14.7%
  2. No

55.9%
  3. They'll do about the same

29.4%
  1. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found the reaction to the revealed Masterpiece Bumblebee to be surprisingly positive. Even folks not into the movies seemed impressed. But that may not even be including the more casual fan who only enjoys the movies, and may be interested in a high-end collector grade version of the movie cast.

So I ask you: Is it possible that the movie MPs could, perhaps, do even better?

2. Hate-triot

Hate-triot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    3A and Prime 1 proved that there's a market for High-End collectibles based on the Bayverse but for some reason the Mid-End level of Masterpiece Movie toys was axed after only two releases.

Maybe with the Bayverse fan base being much older and having more buying power this may change but I still kind of doubt it.

3. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't even think they'll be released in a way that is any way comparable. One is released in japan through collector only channels with the occasional release trickling over to North America years later as a single store exclusive in reduced numbers and the other will have the full marketing push of a major release movie behind it.

I mean I'M excited for Movie Masterpieces, but until Takara starts releasing them as japan exclusives like the rest, I don't think we'll ever be able to compare performance.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

You have an iconic version that continues to be the standard for transformers even after all the different versions through the years and the other is an abomination that focuses way too much on human characters and just has explosions because reasons.

In other words, lol @ this even being a question.

5. SpectrumBelle

SpectrumBelle blorp.

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison to make. They'll likely do better because they'll be marketed differently.

6. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Those were not true Masterpieces. They were just fancy repaints of mainline toys. Movie "masterpieces" have been around, they've just been shoved into other lines (premium series, Asian premium series, platinum series, etc.) as the premium leader repaints like buster optimus, buster Optimus & jetfire, premium 2007 megatron, premium striker optimus, Asian premium series ultimate optimus, Asian premium brawl, etc. "Movie masterpiece" starscream and bumblebee were just premium repaints of a leader starscream and a battle-ops bumblebee with different but more extensive paint jobs shoved into black masterpiece style packaging. They are just as premium as all the others I just mentioned above.

This new bumblebee however, is a truer approach to a Masterpiece-level movie transformer because it doesn't have to work it's transformation around electronics and gimmicks like all the other premium style toys had to. Being free of electronics and gimmicks, it just needs to transform. That's it's prime goal. By being intricate enough to use all its now freed up space, plastic, and budget to make as close to perfect a transformation as it can allow with its allotted manufacturing budget, engineering, and toy safety constraints.

So the way I view it, so far we got excellent movie toys with electronics and gimmicks that can be for kids and adults alike. The only thing that made them even better were the premium level repaints and additional accessories that got added in over the years.

Now we're gonna get movie toys for the older, more experienced customers that ditch electronics and gimmicks so they can concentrate solely on the transformation to get it as close to screen accurate as possible.

We've had many toys of each character in this 10 year period. Now they will take everything they've learned and use it to make the best representation of each character in masterpiece toy form. The future looks bright for movie toy fans.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Believe it or not, RotF Leader Starscream is considered a Masterpiece figure in Japan. I figure it'll do as well as that did.

9. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Maybe, actually. I mean, Masterpiece Movie Bumblebee has way more of a general appeal than, say, Masterpiece G1 Inferno. I'm not sure how successful the line would be beyond a handful of iconic characters, though. You'd have no problem selling a Bumblebee, an Optimus, a Starscream, and maybe a Megatron (I think he has too many designs to settle on a single iconic one), but after that initial lineup I think the appeal will dip slightly below the current MP line.