Masterpiece Megatron V2.0 has arrived... and he is GLORIOUS

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clintfca

clintfca G1 Inspired

News Credits:
    Got some sleep, time to reflect:

G1 Megatron (particularly from the 80's animated movie) is by far my favourite character in the entire Transformers universe so yes there is going to be bias. That said, when I first freed Megatron from the clamshell I was just in awe of what I was holding in my hands. Not too heavy, not too light, great detail, just a wonderful representation of the Megatron I had always dreamed of when I was a kid. I think if your favourite representation of 'Megatron' is anything other than the 80's animated movie version, you're going to nitpicking heavily. I'm going to address some of the more popular critical issues.

Transformation:
    I've been collecting Masterpieces since MP-01, plus a lot of 3P figures (so I've experienced complex transformations from MP-05, MP-09, Fansproject M3, MMC Carnifex) and even then I felt intimidated about transforming MP-36 based off of written and visual reviews. The only video I watched is from Wotafa (because of his awesome transformation video of MMC Carnifex - seriously you don't need to understand ANY Japanese to follow along). I didn't even bother with the official instructions. I took my time during the first transformation (shy of an hour) because I wanted to take it slow and really understand all the joints. Afterwards I was able to transform him back in under 20 mins and with minimal scratches. I transformed him again this morning to alt mode in under 20mins and it was still such a joy. Lastly, when unlocking the legs downward from the hips, listen to the advice of loosening the single screw on his rear. Loosen it until the legs unlock with a 'reasonable' amount of force. Seriously, take your time with this guy, it's not a race, enjoy it, that fully kitted Walther is a beauty to behold and well worth it (seriously plop this on your coffee table and it's going to be a conversation piece):

[​IMG]

Scratches:
    I don't think scratches can be avoided given the complexity of his transformation and all the panels contacting each other. But scratches can be minimized if you take your time. After two 'back and forths' I have very little scratches. I have a few tiny lines on the barrel from the silencer plugged all the way in and taken off (not as scary as the reports, just take your time to slowly pull it off while grasping all the right joints and it'll come off just fine). The color of the raw plastic underneath is not a bad shade so even the scratches on the barrel is not an eyesore to me. To me, nothing lasts forever in pristine condition, even expensive items like a nice car or expensive Rolex, so I just learn to embrace them.

Value:
    I think for those who preordered and locked theirs in at around $160-180 it's definitely worth it (I think MP-05 was around $150 at retail). I personally would be willing to pay up to $200 for this figure. Any more and you're just going to have to decide if you want this guy bad enough.

Final thoughts:
    It's clear a lot of detail and engineering went into this thing. Using the shoulder stock as a flight stand is ingenious. The different facial expressions give this figure so many possibilities. I'm fine with the back kibble (something has to give). I'm fine with the panel lines in alt mode (I rather this than the typical transformation with the chest being one solid piece). I'm fine with the cartoon insignia. Overall this figure ticks all the right boxes for me while the compromises IMO are worth it.

Tl;dr
    He is awesome and WELL worth it if purchased in the $160-200 range. Take your time (seriously) with the transformation and you'll be fine. Watching video transformations will help you more than the official instructions. Scratches can be minimized with careful transformations. The fully kitted Walther is an absolute beauty and must be seen and experienced.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Haha, oh dear! :lol 

Thanks, man. And I do agree that TT capture these characters like no-one else.

:lol 

Thank you! Very kind. Give it a go!

Yeah you're right. I'd noticed it in other people's pics too, and was surprised when I saw exactly the same result in my own. I think it's because strong studio lighting does bounce off the shimmery finish in the grey on his body and the helmet, whereas the face is more flat, so the lighting just emphasises the contrast between the two. iPhone pics have a tendency to make the shimmery grey just appear very flat, so it's much less obvious. He's a fun figure to photograph, but I found I hard to work on my angles a bit as otherwise you get very strong reflections on the sides of the helmet.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that. I was told that you should remove face plate when changing to gun to avoid face paint chip.

4. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Finally transformed him and overall it wasn't as nightmarish as Id expected, it is fiddly and unintuitive and I don't fancy doing it repeatedly, especially with the potential to scuff paint, but I did find some of it impressively engineered. Obviously, I could not stop myself from trying to carefully put on the silencer and immediately scuffed the barrel, very poor choice to paint the barrel IMO. In still largely lukewarm about this guy, best MP scale Megatron? Probably, great action figure....maybe, great transforming toy...not really. In my top 5 MPs, certainly not.

5. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After 12 days sitting at the ISC in New York, I'm beginning to wonder if customs decided to keep mine.

6. Optimus Prime15

Optimus Prime15 Well-Known Member

It's because they opened him and are now chasing each other around saying "pew pew" like theyre 5 again cause Megs is such an amazing figure.

• Like Like x 6
  7. gjcv1408

gjcv1408 Well-Known Member

oh no, somoene in ISC wants that $200+ toy.. hope it clears soon

8. HnH

HnH MPM Moron

News Credits:
    Ughhh the temptation is big and i'm willing to give up on my BW MP's for just 1 Megs

9. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Give it a try!

Megatron comes with the key of vector sigma, I have plans to use it in some kind of diorama with my TFM IDW Stunticons, I know I am mixing two different transformers continuities but I don't care :D 

• Like Like x 1
  10. HnH

HnH MPM Moron

News Credits:

i could give it a try and i like your idea to about the key and the stunticons....

• Like Like x 1
  11. flynnibus

flynnibus Masterpiece Addict

Ebay:
    pop out the pin and flip the piece over..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't be done, look at the whole shape of the part. :/

13. clintfca

clintfca G1 Inspired

News Credits:
    I thought so too until I saw that the fingers have a male/female connection. Flipping it over will make it a male/male. So it really is an incorrect part.

Fortunately, he can either just take off the hand assembly for transformation or wait for 3P poseable hands to replace it.

14. Khaotika

Khaotika Fetch The Bolt Cutters

You're not alone. Mine have been stuck there as well since the 5th.

Really starting to worry now. :( 

15. flynnibus

flynnibus Masterpiece Addict

Ebay:
    Rotate, not flip tip to tip.. then the M-F relationship stays the same.

16. geekatron prime

geekatron prime Master of the Kerfuffle

:lol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wouldn't work, look at the shape of the part in the second pic of my first post.

18. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

I can't stop taking him from my shelf and standing him in my living room. He certainly is among my top 10 MPs, top 5 even.

In no order...top 5
    Magnus, Hasbro MP10, Shockwave, Megatron & I don't own him yet, but Grapple. Megatron is within #1 - 3.

Then Tracks, Prowl, Wheeljack, (again, don't own them yet but...) Inferno and Ratchet

I hope every future MP can come close to his articulation, there's a few I recently messed with that could have benefitted from a little more.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    it's such a magic that you can pull every pose out of him and still look very natural , very alive. At that exact point , I start to see how MP10 is dated. I wish I can do some good pose out of him but the way the joints are designed make posing very limited

20. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not gonna lie, I really like Megatron as well. I thought he'd be finicky, but he's pretty awesome. Every little panel turn....makes sense (not sure how else to put it). At first I was like "WTF is wrong with this thighs? WHY SO PANELY!?" But when it collapses, wow.

Wish I had more time to play with him, but he's really fun to transform.

Yeah, I'm really impressed with Megs' pose-ability, too. And you def appreciate it after playing with the crappy seeker molds. They're great from the waist up, but the feet and the leg poseability are garbage. Esp after playing with MP-36

I used to LOVE doing these to the G1 toy:

20170415_222845.jpg 20170415_221437.jpg

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.