Masterpiece Megatron V2.0 has arrived... and he is GLORIOUS

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    I would actually dig a more cool grey plastic color version. I love the + Red Alert and the current (seeming) shift toward toon simplicity. I tweaked the Chronicles reissue Megatron to a cooler grey just to see. Also Gobots Leader One has a nice grey color. I'd take something like that on MP Megs.

g1megatron.jpg
    eaglerobo.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

News Credits:
    We talking the Combiner Wars Leader? He's been drowned in silver paint from what I remember.

3. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Sorry, I was referring to Gobots Leader One, pic was below Megs.

4. kanvis

kanvis Well-Known Member

Yea, if this is Takara, I'm think they would use that paint since they should have a abundance of it from LG13.

5. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

6. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
  7. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Your opinion aside, which is subjective as well, I find Apollyon to have a pretty straight forward transformation and while not easy in places, it's not random, you do one section at a time in an order, seems pretty cohesive to me. And it is basically the way G1 Megatron transforms, on Apollyon, the same parts come from the same places on both in much of the same way on both, if I ad to guess I'd say 539 designs used the G1 toy as a reference when designing the transformation.

8. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the few previous bashes I was tweaking Cheebs' metallic/chromed bash (which looks amazing imo, as his bashes always are,) but I also have my own bash from yesterday that was more matte colored. I had it colored to match the cartoon... but here I've tried to match it to what you did to the G1 megs there.

TT Megs Proto Bash 2 dull grey.jpg

9. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

What I don't get is the assumption we'd only get ONE deco out of the mold.
    If TT and 3P history has shown us ANYTHING, it's that a design is going to get milked for absolutely ALL it's worth.

I'll say this: normally I'm not one for getting multiple decos of a mold unless it's a change in character, like the Datsun brothers or Ratchethide. I have exactly ONE Bluestreak because I don't feel the NEED for different paint jobs of the same guy.
    As nice as that toy bash looks though, I could absolutely see myself double-dipping JUST for toy/toon versions. It just looks THAT nice.

10. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though I'm 90% sure he'll be silver rather than grey, it's that 10% doubt that's causing me to hold onto Apollyon for now. After Red Alert + and the prevalence of the simplified, grey grills on Inferno and Grapple I've lost confidence in the MP line a little to match what I want from the line (yes, this is subjective, but Transformers for me has always been about robots turning into real-life vehicles - certain alt modes notwithstanding - not robots turning into cartoonish Fisher Price vehicles). Yes, in the case of the latter two the chromed grill accessories were appreciated but they can't well provide that with Megatron without releasing 2 versions.*

The mould looks better than Apollyon - which in turn is the best looking of the 3rd party MP Megatrons in my mind - so it's just about the finish.

* I have no problem with a silver one now and a + release down the line for those who want that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Apollyon's finish looks great! Makes all my official MPs look bad.

Agree with all this.

Agree other than deviating from premium...I think that happened after MP1. Again, I think it just depends on the character and alt mode. Paint didn't really suit Shockwave to be covered in but they still used it where they saw fit.

Yeah, it follows the basics but takes it much further in order to get the bot mode to look right.

Again, agreed...it's really close between this and Apollyon in the looks department. I still think Apollyon looks more menacing without deviating from the source the way Despotron does.

It would be entertaining for sure.:D 

:D  Metallic silver does suit Megatron the best I think. Maybe a light gunmetal would be interesting.

Metallic flake would be ok with Shockwave but I don't think he needs it. I thought the color and lack of paint would bother me but in hand and on my shelf, it doesn't at all. He looks great to me. Megatron though, yeah paint.

Would be interesting huh?

It's only been a year but so far the paint on my Apollyon is holding up fine.

Mightron has a great headsculpt and especially with all the great pictures of it by sixo and others, I can understand how you and others were sold. But can you really look past the horrible legs on it? People talk about the wide hips on Apollyon but having a wide stance makes him look better to me. I guess it's subjective other than I don't think anyone can honestly say they think Mightron's legs look good.

I definitely can see more versions of MP10 and 11 coming. Milking old and crappy molds is the name of the game! (I'm not a huge fan of MP10 but I'm mostly referring to MP11 when I say crappy).

I thought MP5 was also painted? Are you talking about parts of it that were just silver plastic? I'm not sure what those are since I would never buy that figure and never cared about it enough to look very closely.

After all that, I'm thinking I'd pay double the expected price of this figure if it was just made of unpainted metal for all the parts that we think should be silver/gray. If possible, that would be my definitive Megatron.

12. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Out of all the complaints I have with Apollyon, the quality and the look of his paint aren't among them. That even goes for MP-5 as well. There was never an issue with his silver paint and it looked great. Plus they did the slide parts in this brushed metal texture that was really cool. If you look really close at his chest you can see that it looks horizontally "ribbed." Too bad that figure was otherwise ass.

13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Takara don't always slap the paint on, especially in the MP line. Wheeljack, Shockwave and Star Saber are testament to that.

14. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    And then they turn around and slap it on in cases like Ratchet, the whitest MP u know.

15. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, aside from the cosmic rust on his metal frame and feet, my MP-05's finish is still nice.

16. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    I like it, cant say I like it more or less than the Despotron I have arriving on Monday yet but I do feel a little less excited about it if an official one is on the way. The legs seem to suffer a little, but not as much, from the same skinny issues Shockwave's did, and they could always mess up the scale and finish like they did on Shockwave. Despotron is definitely going to be a great stand in, only time will tell this will replace him at some point.

17. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    They have all turned into real life vehicles, Inferno and Grapple included. The truck and the bed is all that is Mitsubishi, everything else is customizable, so they are perfectly fine. Even Bumblebee was done realistically. They aren't going to suddenly change that. they are just giving people more options. Hence why I assume Megatron will still turn into a faithful Walther P-38. It should be noted that none of the 3rd party versions do this. X-Transbots' is way too thick except the barrel, which looks doofy (though you get used to it). He looks much better with the extensions. The other two also appear too thick and DX9's handle is too straight edged, while MakeToys' is way too curved at the bottom. It is also too long on the top.

TakaraTomy aren't flying off the handle, MP has always and will always be about realistic and polished alt modes with toon-accurate robot modes, balanced as best as possible. Technically they are accurate to the character designs, which were developed for all media but got the most prominent (and accurate) use in the cartoon.

What people see as them getting more animation oriented is more like them just getting better over time. This happens in most lines, and MP has been going on for years. A progression is natural based on technology and ability alone. They definitely still have the same intentions as when they made MP-10 though. Hence why we still see group shots of the Autobots.

18. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    Leave it to AB to leave a TL;DR wall of text praising TT like they walk on water... :lol 

You know, if this is a 3P, I'm very impressed because someone managed to finally get the modern MP aesthetic. Anyone who's owned 3P MPs knows there's always that detail or two that's "off", thus making it stand out against the genuine ones. This screams TT design to me, so if it is a 3P, damn they pulled off a miracle.

19. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You misunderstand me. My point was that the cartoon accessories made them appear less realistic.. While the back of the trucks, which yes, can be anything they want to be, could have been better done than following the "2 obvious robot arms running the length of the truck bed" approach that the G1 toy took.

As I said, 90% sure Takara will do right by Megatron, but I'm not as sure as I would have been back in the Hasui days... Even if, as some have mentioned, I actually feel this mould harks back to those days quite nicely and may indeed be a Hasui design.

20. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    They are not perfect, I have problems with things too, especially Bumblebee's horns, which are terrible. But there is no doubt where our bread is buttered. I love how they constantly do things people say can't be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.