Masterpiece Megatron V2.0 has arrived... and he is GLORIOUS

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Great bash cheebs
    I hope they go for a similar finish to apollyon. You're right, if it's plasticky like Laserwave was, there will be bitching galore.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Original G1 does the best alt mode, imo.

I hope we end up with an upsized KO of this down the road. I still have my MP-01 and this would make a great companion piece. I still think MP-01 is more animation accurate, in terms of proportions especially.

And then we'd have six. :) 

Yep. Well, I think this and Apollyon are even. Both do a different look very well. This being a bit more cartoon accurate in terms of proportions, and Apollyon matching the spirit of the slightly idealized Masterpiece look Hasui was going for with MP-10. More heroic, a bit more comic bookish, if you know what I mean.

The other two are nice but don't really do it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spectra

Spectra Dykebot Extraordinaire

I'd personally be fine with a white/gray Megatron, for once, but silver paint would definitely be preferred. If they can do it on a $45 CHUG figure, they can do it here.

4. MegaGeek

MegaGeek Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'd like to see the same finish as MP - 05. I love my MP Shockwave, but it was at that point when I realized the MP line was taking a different direction from that premium feel that originally attracted me. I was obviously late to that apiphani.

5. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I'm not a big MP can do no wrong person at all as I think most are pretty bad but I really don't get the problem with Shockwave. Use paint where appropriate. For Megatron, it's needed but not for Shockwave. If Shockwave came with a full paint job and a little darker, I wouldn't complain but I think it's great as is. The best MP so far other than Soundwave (who doesn't have much paint either) to me. If they could match the quality of chrome from the old days, I wouldn't be opposed to a chromed out Megatron. :sly: 

6. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

His transformation is reminiscent of the G1 toy, to me it's pretty cohesive.

7. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    It's always gonna be tricky getting the right colour for Megatron because they can't do silver unless it's paint. If it's paint you run the risk of chips where things rub together. It's why MP-10 didn't get silver thighs.
    Will be interesting to see what TT figure out.

8. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

The one thing that really truly sold me on Apollyon was when they showed a picture of his back... and there was no kibble no panels no excess anything, just a barrel angled up behind his shoulder on an armature. Sure he has trigger cheeks on his butt, but I have seen someone paint it all black and it all but disappeared. The hip flaps are not quite the right shape but were reminiscent of the cartoon hip flaps, and finally handle kibble on his lower legs. When posed behind something I can't see those and they fold up fairly snug anyways. I swapped out one shoulder socket and futured the other, the hips unlike other peoples figures really do not unplug on mine. The one thing I worry about is I know Apollyon has that thin plastic rod between his hips and chest that is not repairable if it breaks... that scares me and keeps me from handling it too rough.

My only current qualm about this figure which will be VERY controversial especially with those people who seem to love oversized limbs... I think his arms are about twice as thick as I would like them, but that is likely not at all physically possible to do so I will be fine. with them as they are.

9. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

News Credits:
    Takara went ahead and gave MP-10 red paint on top of red plastic. I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped silver on top of what would be gray plastic on this potential Megatron, assuming firstly that it's actually theirs. I'm really hoping it is. I can't imagine bringing a Mightron or Despotron to Frank Welker at a TF Con whenever and asking him to sign that. It wouldn't feel right if the box didn't say Megatron on it.

But that's just me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mightymagnus78

Mightymagnus78 Member

It's so subjective. Ironically I don't consider G1 Megs to have a particularly solid transformation either.

11. Mightymagnus78

Mightymagnus78 Member

Personally, I'm hoping for a metallic fleck in the plastic.

12. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gorgeous!!!

While I personally hop for a more matte finish (or at least like LG13, sort of a compromise) I would not reject this finish at all! Man I hope this gets confirmed soon. Megatron is a huge missing spot on my shelf. I only need him, Primal, Cheetor, and someday a Kup and an Astrotrain, and I'll be "done" in terms of my most beloved characters that I "must have."

13. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with this list, Apollyon still looks good to my eyes, one of the best 3rd party figures but this new one pips it, looks REALLY good! Despotron looks good on its own but too beefy and stylized for an MP to me and Mightron doesn't look right to me at all, the only one I actively dislike.

14. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

Hopefully we hear something soon. The fact that this story has so many posts already really demonstrates how badly we need a new Megatron.

15. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

Legs from each side of the handle, chest from front part of the slide, barrel pointed up behind his right shoulder, arms made up of the two sides of the back part of the slide. Solid or not that is the G1 origin of Meg's transformation. So far only Apollyon did not cheat in it's transformation. I don't know the unknown proto's transformation yet but it is likely it will cheat a little, knowing the manufacturer rumored to have made it does cheat at times.

Edit: Mightron also doesn't cheat I guess, but the robot mode seems a bit compromised in shape from the transformation in my opinion.

16. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The chest is fake.

17. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    Can you imagine the blind fury if they go with flat gray instead of silver? I'd love to see the anger.

18. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

I'm not much for the rage but that would at least make me throw over a table. That cheap gray look nearly ruined MP Shockwave for me, and 90% of Megatron would be done in this shade. It would look awful. Metallic silver or bust.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Omega Riz

Omega Riz Well-Known Member

I think the big problem right now is MP 10 is the yard stick we go by (toon + toy + heroic proportions) but recent figures are definitely more "toon" focused. This guy is too. I think if MP 10 was done now he would be more MP 01 in look.

20. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think in the case of Shockwave it's just the dullness of the plastic. They didn't have to go all out paint, but at least a nice metallic flake in the plastic like Soundwave would have given him a much more premium feel.

I'm hoping Takara goes with silver paint for Megatron. I'd be disappointed with light grey plastic only...but given Takara's recent MO of disappointing me...I'm guessing that's what they'll do.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.