Masterpiece Megatron V2.0 has arrived... and he is GLORIOUS

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's possible. It may be easier for them to base it on the G1 animation and make a generic gun rather than go thru the hoops of acquiring the license from Walther.

• Like Like x 1
  2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    everything is spot on , the side profile here looks superb and even the head don't look too big

• Like Like x 2
  3. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally agree. Although I still think it's a way better P38 than the 3P efforts (except Despotron which beats this in some features) it's clearly no MP-5 accurate P38 replica. I think they've deliberately allowed compromises to benefit the bot mode and 'fallen back' on toon accuracy rather than real world accuracy for the alt mode. The spindly round stock and the triangular plate on the back/bottom of the grip that to my knowledge we've never seen on any G1 Megs figure before, just shows they're going all out animation model. Totally fine by me.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    I recall hearing somewhere about a loophole where you don't have to actually acquire a license to use real world gun likenesses or that of military hardware like tanks and jets. Is there any truth to that? Someone enlighten me.

5. kanvis

kanvis Well-Known Member

I believe there is some truth to that. Although not as common today as few year back, I remember seeing toy automatics in some cheap toy shops. Given the cheap build and from some noname toy manufacturer, I doubt they payed for any such licenses.

6. 5eeker

5eeker Member

Looks way better than all 3P Megatrons. The 3P ones all are rather bulky imo and the paint seems to suck on apollyon as i hate the cheap mettalic look and despotron looks like hes on steroids while mightons legs are not curved which bug me. This has all the right porportions from the skinny look to the curved legs and everything. Dont know why people are saying its head is too big or his torso is too short i mean if you look at screengrabs he has always been long with the legs and his head has always been a big size. Despotrons head is wayyy to small if you ask me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  7. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nah, sorry but nah. Glad everyone is digging both this and the unofficial versions, but all of them have something that throws me right off. This one, I just can't shake the look of a wee lad throwing a big strop. Waiting on, of all things, Bold Forms.. hahaha, that's not even accurate to anything either. Ah well.

8. fsfeedback

fsfeedback Well-Known Member

I believe Bold Forms is IDW Megatron from the very first arc of IDW.

9. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    NEVER!!!

10. Napalm

News Credits:
    Yeah? He still didn't turn into a tank though.. wait yeah he did, but not not both. Hmm. Either way, that's the one I have my eye on. And that's great. Because options are the biggest and most important thing that have come out of the IP Wars.

I do want to see the final version of this, painted up and posed, my mind might be changed.

11. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

P38 Accuracy: Another thing to consider aside from the license is, given the controversy over the original paint scheme of Exhaust, is it even worth it to try and make a Megatron that accurately replicates the design of a REAL gun?

Proportions: A few people have said it before, and it's a point worth repeating- the actual proportions from the show and movie don't necessarily match up with the way we REMEMBER Megatron. In the movie especially, he was this intimidating and nigh-unstoppable force that was at the pinnacle of Cybertronian might.
    Later depictions in the comics have helped reinforce this idea of a beefy, "beast incarnate" Megatron.
    As far as the head goes, while it does in fairness match the animation model, it's another one of those details that feels "off" to some people when brought to life. That's not to say it's WRONG, just that again, it doesn't match what some of us have either conflated in our own heads or what we've gotten used to in later depictions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Nope. As much as I like my Apollyon, he'll be sold as soon as the official Megatron goes on preorder.

13. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

It's true, but anyone could and would doubt it.

14. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I sometimes wish leaks like this didn't happen. Not that I don't like seeing what may be on the horizon, but the petty arguments, baseless speculations and overall negativity is draining and perpetuates the apparently permanent rift in the fandom.
    I'd really be fine with waiting for show/convention reveals. At least that way you get to see officially displayed (and mis-transformed) figures, clearly and in final form. No debates, no guesswork.

While I do hope this is official, I think I'll just wait for the true reveal before getting excited.

• Like Like x 4
  15. kanvis

kanvis Well-Known Member

The large head perception maybe due to how most of the heads froms the MP line (MP10, Datsun Bros, Lanbor) hard poportionally small. I can recall when MP10 was revealed, people complained that the head was small, when compared to the MP01.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Napalm

News Credits:
    How we carry ourselves in discussion perpetuates the rift. There's no reason why intelligent back and to can't take place about toys, be they official or unlicensed, and the nature of the beast these days means that such debate is inevitable and will bleed through into most discussions, but the way lines are drawn in the sand and how personally people stand behind them is facepalm worthy.

As for this 'leak', its timing is very much on the money.

• Like Like x 1
  17. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really happy about this Megatron. It took 4 tries (or 5 if MP5 is included) to find a G1 Megatron that I like most.
    Apollyon has that atrocious wide crotch. DX9, the thigh and lower leg look like one piece. Despotron, hate the lower leg and especially the shorty stumpy feet. This newer Meggy, whether 3P/TTomy seems to fit better with other TTomy MP especially with Shockwave...or any of the bot from MP22 and up.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  18. Legate

In fairness to the Despotron version, the shorter blockier feet ARE the closest to animation accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Legate

That's a good point too, actually.

20. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    So the way that fusion cannon is mounted on the front of his arm and not the side pretty much renders that elbow of his useless.

Hopefully it can be moved to the side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.