Masterpiece HOUND MP-47

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by oku, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Ektris

Ektris Well-Known Member

Finally got my replacement in...

And I've been ever so slowly going through Emgo's transformation video. I just got to the step where you first move the shoulder cannon armature and immediately went to unscrew it to try to sand down the peg. I got the screw out... But then just the little wiggling needed to slowly remove the arm from the hole cracked it.

*sigh*

It's not the worst that could've happened, but it still puts a huge damper on enjoying this at all. It'll still be broken now no matter what.

I've got a week to return it. Might at least give myself a few days to try and enjoy him.. But it's so damn stressful trying to transform him, I don't really want to do much at all with him.

Edit: Gave him another once-over after the armature was back in and transformation finished. Got a crack on a rear leg panel already lol. Yeah he's going back. I'll wait for a reissue if there ever is one.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I think he's referring to JIS screwdrivers. IIRC, they have a slightly different head shape which digs into the screw heads better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be interested in someone doing a bend stress test on a panel of this Hound Vs. a panel from an older MP like MP-10 Optimus; maybe someone who's already going to return one just to test out what it can really take. The plastic being this much worse in durability and flex than a regular retail toy is pretty astounding. If they make other release that fixes what went wrong in the factory with this one plastic-wise I'm sure it's going to feel really bad to be an early adopter.

5. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    After weeks of being perfectly fine there's now a crack on the armature/neck thing of my Hound too... He's been on display, Transformed only once and not touched ever since. Bought it at anime-export... Sigh. Wish me luck...

• Like Like x 4
  6. pfcparts

pfcparts Well-Known Member

Got bee2, hound, and prime3 in yesterday.

My last masterpiece was sunstreaker; he was pretty hefty, durable, and a good compromise between realism and toon accuracy. To date both sunstreaker and wheeljack are still my favorites. Before that I had most of the carbots.

Bee2 is toon accurate, but he is surprisingly light and flimsy. The plastic is pretty thin in some places and his whole canopy is clear plastic I believe, which is prone to breaking down the line. I got real nervous putting together his backpack as I was sure I would crack something.

Hound takes the same cues as bee3 to the extreme. Toon accurate and seemingly even thinner plastic. His hood is ridiculously thin; almost stupid. Sunstreaker might be as heavy as both bee2 and hound combined lol... The plastic does feel a bit drier and brittle.

In fairness, I don't think any plastic could bear much loads being this thin.

Older figures are heavier because they didn't get too thin in any areas and had reinforcement bands/ridges or just plain thicker plastic hidden underneath. If they did reach the thinness limit, they were not actively involved in transforming the figure.
    Bee2 and hound are pretty lean inside and the parts that should have extra plastic reinforcement due to being involved in transforming (bee hood, hound hood, door sides) don't. I am pretty sure the hoods and door sides on both figs will break on me soon.

Haven't had a chance to mess with prime3 but I am worried if he has thin plastic in moving and involved areas like this... fuck.

I like the toon accuracy direction, but the cost cutting they did elsewhere at the cost of durability (thinner plastic/no reinforcement on important handled parts) really irks me since prices have went the other way. Kind of disappointed.

7. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Your issue with Prime would just be paint chipping and those knees of his so be careful.

8. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Hound weighs about the same as the Datsun and Lambo carbots.

Hound definitely has something wrong with the plastic which has apparently been admitted by Takara, but Bee V2 and Prime V3 are not known to break so I wouldn’t worry about it. The paint can chip in certain places with both but they don’t break. The clear plastic on MP-45 seems to be pretty strong and they did put some stiffening features on some of the parts.

I still have just the one crack on my Hound behind the left knee. I was transforming him again tonight and no issues. And I wasn’t being gentle. I suspect it has more to do with humidity or something else. Where I live it’s very cold and dry at this time of year. I’m wondering if I’ll get more cracks in the summer when it’s humid. Just a wild guess. Maybe the plastic swells when there’s more moisture in the air?

• Like Like x 4
  9. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

More like it swells when exposed to.... anything at all. The plastic is shit, get the crap outta here Takara

10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just a thought, but would mold release oil mixed with paint have a catastrophic effect/chemical reaction with plastic?

• Like Like x 2
  11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    It's possible that there was some unforeseen reaction there. Bandai started changing how they approached plastic usage in their Gunpla several years ago when they realized that their prescribed paints were actually making the plastic brittle, causing kits to fail. And people have experienced Tamiya panel liner paints eating through styrene plastic as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fafnir72

What?! Even the Gundam pen liner eats through plastic?

On a sidenote on the plastic, the matte style of paint is different from the other MPs. I don't think the one on BW Megs and Dinobot is matte type. So Hound might be technically the first matte TF. MP screamer is like all mold and no paint except for some details. Maybe Takara should have gone for the green molded plastic and ditch the paint like the original Diaclone?

13. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    I’m curious, what was the fan/collector response to that and how did Bandai handle things? Also, was it just one particular model or more widespread across the line?

• Like Like x 3
  14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I think the Gundam Markers were fine. It was the Mr. Hobby brand paints that had some adverse effect on ABS plastic, which is when they shifted to Polystyrene frames for MG Gundams, and phased out the pre-built inner frames for the RG line.

I have no clue, as I never really followed the issue directly. I only found out about it after the fact.

I think the first really noticeable evidence for the shift came with the MG Sinanju Animation version kit. The original Ver. KA release had an ABS inner frame. The Animation version changed that out for Polystyrene plastic.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Well..... forget what I said earlier about transforming it not causing breakage. I don’t recommend transformation. I pushed my luck and it broke.

As others have already said, the break was very strange and there was no warning. The plastic at the break point looks super shiny. Almost translucent.

Anyone have any idea how to get that pin out?? The part the pin is still in seems to be cracked now as well. So if I pull the pin out it may break the other piece. The damn pin is pushed into a blind hole so you can’t just push it out from the other side.

I really hope they fix this figure for the re-release because I really love it aside from the chocolate plastic.

5B1B3B8E-3AAC-4134-A4F4-4A121C91C099.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  16. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Oh no! :( 

• Like Like x 4
  17. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Sorry to see this, buddy. :( 

Takara? Your fans are waiting for some positive action from you on this.

• Like Like x 10
  18. Fafnir72

Give them 2 years for the re-issue. I computed the date based on how long Sunstreaker got one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shunwei

Shunwei Well-Known Member

Go longer than that if ever. MP9 just got the fix last year for the reissue that was like what, 9 years after the making even though it is a much simpler problem than this one? This problem is one of a structural material that used for the whole figure. Even if they somehow change the plastic mix for the whole figure, there is no telling if the design is going to be able to take the new plastic mix, etc.

20. ShawnBerger4Mayor1985

ShawnBerger4Mayor1985 Shawn Berger Campaign Manager

Hate to see this happen to you... Your overall optimism about the figure has been helpful in keeping things a little more balanced in this crappy situation.

That said, whenever I see anyone in this topic say the breakages have nothing to do with transformation, I wince. Mine broke during my first (and still only) transformation. Out of ~45 MPs, this is my only instance of breakage. The one tailgate door just sheared away from the hinge with total ease. No undue force, no loud snap, nothing, it just fell off cleanly as I pushed it up to where it would have rested inside what would become a foot. And, so far, leaving it stand in bot mode for about 6 weeks or so now, it hasn't developed any cracks that I can see. Just that one break (that can't be seen in bot mode) for now.

As much as it may drive people who like to determine cause/figure out patterns/solve problems/etc. nuts, I don't think we can either definitively blame any one thing or completely rule any one thing out as factors in the overall issues with this release. Not yet anyway. I'm not seeing any discernible pattern besides a general trend of cracks/breaks having a relatively high occurrence. And that it likely has something to do with the plastic in some way. There's also obviously more susceptible points on the figure for breakage to occur, but it's not as isolated a problem as, say, Optimus V3's knees. We're seeing cracks and breaks in new places quite often with Hound. General problems, with variation. Nothing as clean as: to avoid cracks/breaks, just do this/don't do this. If only we had it that figured out by now...

I'm no engineer. Not in the slightest. So I could easily be way off here, and won't take any offense to more informed challenges to my claim. But I'm just not seeing any concrete causation. Again, yet. As of right now, all I see is dodgy plastic turning this release into a crapshoot, and the odds of "losing" are pretty high, at least compared with most other MP releases. People need to be aware of this situation if they pick up Hound, and they really should apply more care than usual with the figure; although, sadly, even that cannot guarantee a problem-free Hound.

I really want this to be a low-point in the MP line (in terms of QC) that we never see again. :(  I think the next few new mold releases will give us an indication on where TT's priorities are at these days. Which will determine my priority for continuing to collect the MP line. I've not lost hope yet, for sure, but for me, TT need to regain some of my lost confidence if they want me to feel as excited for the MP line as I had for the last several years. Here's hoping. ;) 

• Like Like x 10