Masterpiece HOUND MP-47

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by oku, Jul 28, 2018.

1. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just out of curiosity, but has takara ever made a public response to negative feedback? from what little i know of the japanese culture, they take a lot of pride in their work, so i can’t imagine them turning a blind eye from all the negative feedback from the japanese community if this was the case.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Furyan

Furyan Furyanicon

News Credits:
    K1219 batch here. No problems with any of my two.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    They did a recall for encore God Fire Convoy. Some of the designers used to be active on Twitter but largely stopped in 2016 IIRC.

I'm privy to how Japanese companies work so I'll share some insight. Typically what happens is that internally they'll make note of the reported flaws. At some point it gets escalated to the factory and the factory looks into what could've caused the issues. Though the reported breakages aren't supposed to happen, this is not likely to be resolved quickly(if it wasn't already by the later batches of this 1st run, which unfortunately is too early to tell). There will then be back and forth discussions between the factory and engineers, then possibly the designer(s). Any resolution is likely not going to be immediate. Take into account, the factory IIRC is in China(communication and resolution would be faster if it was in Japan). The farthest they'll go is probably do a recall(which I'm doubtful of but we'll see). If not, they may just address the issues by the 2nd run. In the meantime they might offer exchanges for fans in Japan and refer all customers out of Japan, to the retailer they bought it from.

There's guidelines for certifications that businesses follow for manufacturing to minimalize the percentage of defects to a bare minimum. Either Takara wasn't following that or was before but clearly something gave way.

There is a lot of pride going into their products but for an issue to be resolved, it has to pass internally through not only the different communication channels but also chain of command. It isn't just a "hey look these guys online posted pics of their breakages and detailed information as to what could be causing it, let's fix it now". That's just the start.

So right now, my guess is that Hound will be fixed by the next run.

Hopefully.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think you’re right re: upscaling as a possible way of handling added complexity, which then raises the not-so-appealing prospect of another reboot.

On that note, I’d say (with as much certainty as an uninformed shmuck, such as I, can) that it’s something that the designers may have discussed, but, rather than risk the ire of collectors who are heavily invested with the post MP-10 scale, would probably decide to stick to the course with all of its amazing highs and potential lows.

But hey, what do I know. :p 

Even though I’m not currently affected by the issues being reported, I definitely feel for those that have been - regardless of how the problems present themselves. I agree with @Shin Densetsu that it’s probably worthwhile getting some production numbers out there.

• Like Like x 3
  5. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    You shouldn't HAVE to be delicate with a $100+ toy. When you are paying that much, you should expect the quality is high enough to withstand NORMAL adult collector handling.
    Nor should you have to watch videos online on how to work your $100+ toy. The printed instructions and built in quality should be enough.

The levels of trying to justify and excuse this nonsense is insane.

• Like Like x 8
  6. ave

ave Active Member

same batch, no problems

• Like Like x 3
  7. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    Yes you are. Normal adult handling doesnt mean wrestle thr figure like you are a child back then.
    Not defending takara because yes they need to sort the Manufacturing process asap , but i expecy mature collectors to at least be mindful of handling expensive object. The figure back then is different , built to be able to withstand handling. Take MP24 for example.

• Like Like x 8
  8. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

Hound breakages don't really surprise to anyone. Panelformers are closer to model kits than action figures. Issues with Hound are not different to the issues with Megatron, Optimus and Bumblebee. An inevitable consequence of the current MP direction.

Panelformers are an interesting new variation of the cheap hollow plastic syndrome.

9. PopCulturePooka

News Credits:
    There's a difference between "mindful handling" and absolutely silly, overly delicate fiddling and a fear that even transforming a TRANSFORMER of all things will break it.
    You will note that I said, and I'll repeat, NORMAL ADULT COLLECTOR HANDLING. Tell me where, exactly, I said "wrestle the figure like a child". I am sure you'll find I never said that. So do not put words in my mouth.

As I mentioned previously, older MP's, like Prowl, the first two Primes, Grimlock etc all are able to handle normal adult collector handling (again, for the dense, NOT childs play). You even said that. One would expect, with increasing prices and supposedly improving technology, that these expensive adult figures would be getting sturdier, better quality. Not a steep nose dive. This is totally ignoring the "broken in the box" problem many are also reporting.
    Again, it is insane to suggest that a $120 TRANSFORMERS toy can only be transformed safely by being super delicate, being terrified of moving panels unless it is in a strict, no-room for error way and only after watching a bunch of videos. If that is how you need to be with the toy, then they are NOT working as advertised.

• Like Like x 12
  10. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Agreed, by saying 'NORMAL adult collector handling' you've excluded heavy handed chlid-like behaviour. I've damaged toys, sometimes it's been my fault and when it is I'll put my hands up and say so, where it hasn't I've complained/blamed the manufacturer. We all make mistakes, but for some time now TT have been increasing parts count, paint apps, articulation but not improving material/paint durably, design and instructions in order to safeguarding against damage during MORMAL use an/or user error... in addition to letting us down quite regularly with poor QC. I really don't think you can argue we are not paying more for (tbf more complex) figures that we are less confident will stand up to 'NORMAL adult collector handling'.

Hound looks fantastic but yet again he appears to have been let down by the above mentioned issues. I'm glad I didn't pre-order one (I very nearly did, price and deco put me off). I've honestly been considering not pre-ordering future MPs to see how they turn out first, maybe even wait for a better reissue. It's becoming an increasingly expensive gamble that I'm less willing to take.

Edit: heh seems you had the same idea in your reply posted seconds before mine ;) 

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  11. PopCulturePooka

News Credits:
    The design ethic changed. A lot.
    Older Masterpieces seemed to have the ethos of "Masterpiece of looks AND design". High quality, well built figures that were meant to be the pinnacle of Transformers design and quality.
    The newer ethos seems to be "Masterpiece of looks", at the cost of design an quality. In an attempt to make the perfect, accurate bot mode, corners are being cut all over the place and complexity has increased to the point of needlessness. This results in good looking, but fragile, fiddly figures that can be barely be used for what they are advertised and sold as... Transforming toys.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a bit depressing seeing all these issues with the figure. I'm afraid MP Bee v.2.0 killed my interest in the line, and although I've been tempted to pick up a Hound, the reactions in this thread just confirm my impression that Takara just aren't very good at this any more.

I collect in other areas (Metal Build, Bishoujo, Chokogin) and now that TF's are approaching the higher price point, they just aren't desirable. Happily 3P seems to be getting better product out there at a cheaper price point (baffling given the logistics) so I don't have to give up on the brand entirely.

To those that have a non-broken figure out of the box, I'm pleased for you. But it's not much of an "achievement" is it?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  13. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

:wtf: 

• Like Like x 6
  14. Darkmatterx76

Darkmatterx76 Member

Takara needs to get their heads out of their asses... Why they are so hellbent on reproducing the look of an 80s kids cartoon that had poor QC, a flat, limited colour palette, and no tech for things like speculator highlights is beyond me. I love the blue windshields, but in our minds as kids, these guys were robots, and were not flat bland bleh. I mean, look at the + version of Bluestreak. I swear to god I have never seen a more bland, meh transformer in my life! My Hound doesn't arrive until tomorrow. Fingers crossed....

• Like Like x 1
  15. MSWF377

MSWF377 Michael Scarn

Did you forget blue text? Or are you really buying figures you hate? I’m so confused

• Like Like x 17
  16. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    because thats what the majority of masterpiece collectors have been screaming for in ages plus with third party's doing the same they know it's whats wanted supply and demand !

• Like Like x 14
  17. Memph99Q4Ev

Memph99Q4Ev Well-Known Member

Uuuuh, no, you lucky bastard! To bad you didnt get two pistols! Well, I didnt grab one yet myself, maybe lighting will strike twice....

18. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

Wotafa's review:

• Like Like x 13
  19. Olfio

Olfio Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Hi guys i would like to know the dimensions of the Hound box, because I have a couple of friends that are in Japan for a journey, they will take mp 47 for me and they want to know how big is the box.
    Thanks

20. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Standard small/carbot MP box size I believe.