Masterpiece HOUND MP-47

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by oku, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Great job Takara

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nems

Nems Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I got mine from AJP today.

Transformed it a couple of times, no breaks or stress marks. Leaving the gun in the foot makes it more difficult to get everything lined up, but it's doable.

• Like Like x 9
  3. soundwave3000

soundwave3000 Member

Ebay:
    I don\'t know, I recieved my figure today and its been fine for me so far. I\'ve transformed it back and forth twice now and theres been no signs of breakage.

I feel like a lot of y\'all aren\'t as delicate as you should be when it comes to these new MP figures. I understand that the Takara figures before were a bit better when it came to durability, but when it comes to figures being $100+ you guys have to stop mandhandling these figures. Watch people transform it online and see how the parts are supposed to be oriented before attempting.

4. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Cheers! Will be sure to watch this and the 5 minute transformation vid you posted earlier when I have time to sit down and transform mine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

I don't know, but maybe you should look at some cases where it's arriving already with stress marks/ broken instead of triple posting the same manhandling BS statement.

• Like Like x 6
  6. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

There's gotta be a specific fail-batch that were shipped out with these hinge-cracks and/or brittle plastic quality out of the factory.

Are only AmJ-buyers getting these fails?

Fwiw, mine was bought from AmJ and it didn't have any cracked hinges or breakages.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

We need to stop paying TT just to be beta testers for their products. They are literally exploiting loyal fans to be their beta testers so they cut back on QC while increase the price (dramatically).

How long will this keep happening until people finally stop being suckers?

• Like Like x 4
  8. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    No Bee 2.0?

9. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    I don’t think it’s fair to say that a lot of people are manhandling the product or misunderstanding instructions.

Among other things, there’s a theory that pins have been pushed through incorrectly, various members have said that parts break off/hinges crumble with minimal force - and one member described a piece coming away “like soft chocolate” - that sounds more like a materials issue than manhandling.

Ultimately, neither you nor I can say one way or another, as we weren’t present when these things occurred. That’s entirely between the affected buyer and their product. In other words, it helps nobody if we make generalised statements about their proficiency when handling figures in their collection.

I think we can all agree that it’s rarely (if ever?) a great experience to receive a defective product, nor having to deal with the “did I/didn’t I” thought process with these things if something does go wrong.

In the same breath, it’s not great for some collectors to then face a choice between a future of minimal interaction with a figure out of concern that it won’t stand up to ‘reasonable’ use, or rolling the dice each time they decide to experience the transformation.

I look forward to receiving my Hound as soon as possible this coming week, if only to put the concern of pre-cracked hinges out of my mind.

Assuming all is well there, I’m going to take a deep breath and then take my sweet time transforming him (as I always do with my MPs ;) ), and that’s about as much as I can do. Hopefully that day will be tomorrow, as I’m just about done coming into this thread and making myself paranoid. :lol 

• Like Like x 19
  10. ave

ave Well-Known Member

the more i play with this guy the more i am really frustrated with the headrests. how in the hell am i supposed to get in there when going back into vehicle mode to get those little parts out without a spudger.

also i've been beating this guy up and down and my money would be on the cracks being something involved with assembly and pins being placed poorly, and not due to manhandling because oh man this guy is getting run through the paces.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Is anyone able to post side-by-side photos of MP-47 Hound with Gundog or Willis? I'm really curious to see them together in both modes, especially alt mode to see how much of a size difference there is.

• Like Like x 1
  12. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

Posting this as a thing to look out for (sorry for poor image quality, potato phone). You guys might want to file down a bit on that ridge that help locks the shoulders in place for bot mode, enough so it still locks but not as hard as before the mod. Reason being that the shoulder piece is only connected to the fender piece by a pin, and requires quite the effort to push past it when transforming to bot mode(even more so when transforming to alt mode). All that pressure on that single point can't be good in the long run.

That said, transformed him for the 2nd time. Still in prime condition. But transforming him into vehicle mode isn't as fun due to some really tight clearance in places :/
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    Nope. I vastly prefer MP21. Perhaps I'll grab a Bee 3.0 when the time comes :D 

• Like Like x 5
  14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Going by past MP releases, it's only been a few days to be fair, but I noticed more reports of Hound breakages out of box compared to anything recent, even MP-45, MP-44 knees, Dinobot and MP-43 Megatron.

While it's hard to say if any of the Hound breakages are due to user error, clearly most of them are not. User error is what most want to be the cause of the breakage because if it wasn't, that means something is wrong, whether it's a design flaw or something went wrong in the manufacturing process. I'm thinking the latter. Any time you have tight tolerances, paint apps increase the tightness and knurled pins or pins that are a mm too wide will do the same. On an unpainted test shot, maybe it passed qc. A painted copy is an entirely different situation. Furthermore, some of the breaks are on painted hinges, so a crack might not be evident until it breaks through the paint seal. This might be another reason the factory workers didn't catch the break. If this is the case, it's possible we will see more reports of copies breaking over time even if they were okay initially.

Those of you happy with it that claim the breakages are due to user error, from what I can see, most who bought this aren't new to MP figures. More importantly, they want to enjoy them just as much as you do. So FWIW, the situation sucks and as prices have gone higher, the expectation is that the quality does as well. Most of these guys with breakages aren't likely like the guys who manhandle stuff on YouTube for ad revenue and/or attention. So it's not really fair to imply that mere user error is the cause of the breakages.

They've been getting reamed pretty badly online in Japan especially since MP-44. People aren't suckers for buying the toys, it's just a higher gamble now. The bigger question is if Takara things they can sustain their customer base if things keep going like this. I pretty much made the decision not to buy an MP unless I'm willing to fix it myself. In this case, recently I've decided to wait for the 2nd runs to see if anything got fixed.

Really tempted by Hound but I can wait.

• Like Like x 14
  15. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    Just finished transforming my figure using this video that @oku posted earlier: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av81068159
    Transformation was easier than I expected and I'm happy to report my figure is flawless. No paint blemishes or cracks anywhere.

Furthermore, all the joint tolerances on my copy are perfect. Everything moves buttery smooth. Not too tight, not too loose.
    This is very refreshing after my last few MP figures suffered from certain joints being overly tight or loose.

Super satisfied with this guy!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 20
  16. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

From the looks of those here reporting cracks and breaks, law of averages doesn’t support user error. Hound could have possibly hit the threshold of complex engineering for TT. There has to be a limit somewhere and I would have figured MP-45 would have been it, but it turns out that Hound is showcasing the limitations of bringing a cartoon transforming robot with articulation into the real world.

I’ll have two in hand Monday so I’ll be able to satisfy my own line of questioning. But for now, I’m leaning on the side of design flaw.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Just curious, what's the production number on yours? Wouldn't hurt if we started tracking

• Like Like x 4
  18. lord ginrai

News Credits:
    Production number on the box is K0519. Hopefully some of the people with broken figures can chime in with their production numbers.

• Like Like x 3
  19. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

Since it feels like we're going round in circles, there's something I'm curious about- What's the basis for the tarp shield? It's nice if it's just an option (and accessory storage too? Nice), but given the general direction of things, I'm wondering if it's some blink-and-you'll-miss-it deal that appeared on the jeep in one scene for 5 seconds.

(Not to comment either way on what nay or may not be happening with the hinges, mind you)

20. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this. mine will be here next thursday so i’ll have my own opinions then, but either way, it’s definitely disheartening to see the recent trend.

i think the current scale simply does not allow enough material to reinforce the additional complexity of their designs. takara could have the most amazing designers, but if the end product is not up to snuff, it doesn’t matter how well the design is, especially at the increased price point where expectations are also proportional to the cost. i really can’t see how they can sustain this trend if this is indeed the case, long-term mp collectors (like myself who started with mp-1) will start to lose confidence.

as mentioned before, i welcome the added complexity, but i think the only way to handle this is to upscale the mp line, unless they start simplifying their designs again to avoid thin plastic joints/hinges.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.