Minor/Repaint: Masterpiece Generation 2 Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Stormbringer85, Nov 7, 2012.

1. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

I wasn't gonna write, but HOT DAMN, that is smoov.

It's a sad statement to TakTom's QC that you were able to paint this up to perfection in a day or two, and TT's paint is severely lacking.

Do you have a paint booth? If so, would you be willing to answer questions via PMs?

If you didn't answer in the first post, what do you use? Acrylics? Enamels? Type(s) of primers?

Anyhow, that is so damn sexy.

I wasn't sure I was going to attempt a "Masterpiece" Generation 2 Sideswipe, since it'd be really difficult to make it look....like it could exist in the "real world" (and especially since, botched, it would waste a $85+ collectible). I think yours works perfectly, and as much as I love the outre colour pallette of G2, I think even transparent lime paint on the windows would tug at the verisimilitude of this piece.

However, the large (G1) Autobot insignia bugs me, also. Not only on this custom, but on the actual official toy. If I try this custom, I'll probably do my first experiment in thermochromic paint(s) for true camoflage.

Just think - You were the first to do this, and there probably will be dozens. Interestingly, I'm fairly sure yours will remain the best, also.

2. Stormbringer85

Stormbringer85 Well-Known Member

Wow 40 comments! I'm honored everyone! thanks very much for the input and suggestions! since the majority prefer the windows left alone I decided to leave this sideswipe be as he is, though the suggestion of clear green windows using sparkle pearl as suggested by some is brilliant! provided that I can find that specific color I'll give it a go for version 2 in the future, it's true that the G1 symbol looks a tad out of place on a G2 figure, however I didn't do it because I dont have access to G2 symbols(my G2 Grimlock from the past points out to that) but because I more or less approached this custom with the original release of the toy in mind which oddly enough sported a G1 symbol instead of a G2, still, this alongside the windows, "SS" symbols on the side etc. will definitely be held into account for a future version 2(should I get a hold of another MP-12) anyhow thanks again everyone for the kind words and comments as well as suggestions I greatly appreciate them! :) 

3. Stormbringer85

Stormbringer85 Well-Known Member

Thanks man, much appreciated! and sure thing PM me with any questions you may have, though I am a bit pressed for time at the moment, however I will answer as best I can when I get a breather! LOL thanks again! :) 

4. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Still needs G2 Autobot logo

5. Satanatron

Satanatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope e-hobby does this exclusive. I would so buy this!!

6. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks great. :)  I'll be repainting this mold black as well (original character) - but wanted to know - what kind of paint did you use?

I assume the main car-body is plastic (since I read people loudly complaining about the lack of diecast in this MP) - I was just going to use alot of tamiya masking tape + some Tamiya or Testor black matte spraypaint. Suggestions?