By Generation: Masterpiece Energy Conductors

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Sam, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    There's not energy in these conductors to last a quartex!

But let's make some anyway!:

Ingredients:

[​IMG]

The rods are Plastruct fluorescent yellow, 3/32 of an inch thin. I wanted them thin enough so that Wheeljack can grasp a few in one hand at the same time:

[​IMG]

Here's MP-20 holding the cut (but unpainted) rods:

[​IMG]

I also wanted them thin enough so that hopefully Bumblebee can hold one or two in his hand holes (no finger articulation on poor Bee!). Cut them at around 10cm, which seemed the ideal length. They look practically as big as Bumblebee who's around 11.5cm tall:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the photos the rods are tending towards an orange-yellow. The Plastruct rods have a little too much of a green tinge to them in certain lights.

So, I dipped the rods in a tube full of 1 part orange paint to 2 parts water, then stuck them upright onto Blu-tak to dry:

[​IMG]

Then I masked off the ends, leaving 1cm either side, and painted the opaque yellow on:

[​IMG]

You can just about see the difference between the painted rods and the unpainted rod at the top of this photo:

[​IMG]

It's much more apparent in real life.

Once the second coat of the yellow has dried, I removed the masking tape and took some shots with Wheeljack. You can use either paint or spray a clear coat just to keep them sealed.

This is a little essential add-on to my Masterpiece Cybertron Diorama.

Here's the money shot:

F597BB36-B9F3-4114-93F8-08198C50062E.jpg

Type 'fluorescent yellow rod' into eBay or something along those lines. From memory I'm pretty sure the name of the seller is omni models. I don't think they're listed as being Plastruct by this seller so that might be why you can't find them. They cost me around 10€ shipped for a pack of eight, and you can get two conductors per rod so it works out reasonable enough.

Bumblebee can just about hold some:

DSCN1032_zps3a8cec9c.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.