Masterpiece Constructicons

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JediFlaherty, Feb 23, 2018.

?

How would you prefer your Masterpiece Constructicons?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2018.
  1. Devastator Box Set

26.2%
  2. Individual Releases

73.8%
  1. JediFlaherty

JediFlaherty Well-Known Member

Who knows if Takara will ever tackle a project as ambitious as a team of Masterpiece Constructicons that combine to form a Masterpiece Devastator, but it’s a topic that comes up often. While the Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors versions are good stand-ins, they aren’t quite Masterpieces and there’s always a call for characters from the first season of Generation 1.

I once thought of something like this as too rich for my blood, but recently I’ve reconsidered that position. A $600+ Devastator box set would probably still be cost-prohibitive for me personally, but individual releases at, say, Inferno’s price point, spread over a few years might be doable.

It would be frustrating for some, surely, to delay the satisfaction of completing something like this, but we’d have an opportunity to appreciate each individual Constructicon before eventually appreciating Devastator.

What do you think?

2. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I'd love the slow build up of individual releases. It'd allow me time to enjoy each one before the next came along and it'd be easier budget wise, at least in terms of explaining it to the missus haha.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Ditto. To the T.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

How satisfying would that be after months and months, with the arrival of the last Constructicon finally being able to complete Devastator?!

5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Individual releases for two reasons. First for the reason @Dean ML said, the joy of building it up (my G1 Devastator took years: first Mixmaster, then Hook, Scrapper and Bonecrusher (which made a balancing act stumpy Devastator) followed by Long Haul resulting in a one armed Devastator for at least a year, and later Scavenger).

Secondly, individual releases will likely sail through local customs without the addition of being charged VAT (plus a fee for expenses), while a box set...witll be import taxes, added VAT and a hefty fee for the effort.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Like you said brother , the lead up to a massive combiner coming together after a decent wait is a feeling like no other . ( Iv done this before with 3rd party stuff ) . It’s an amazing feeling and a sight to behold .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I got UW Devastator (my current MP stand-in), I actually enjoyed each figure individually before combining them. That's exactly what I'd want out of an official MP release as well.

• Like Like x 4
  8. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I want them to come out together. Too often from 3P making a combiner, the first few individuals look good and then either a flop is released, or the bots don't integrate well together.

I am sure that now a bunch of people will want to give the knee jerk response of "Takara isn't a 3P, so history doesn't apply to them". TT is technically behind many of the 3P's in this respect, as they don't have the experience of producing MP quality and size together in a combiner. Their CHUG combiners are not great (I blame a lot of that on the "scramble city" design philosophy), so they will not be able to apply much of that engineering to an MP scale project.

Until they are proven in this regard, I want to see the complete gestalt before committing my $$$.

9. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    Please I hope they are around the corner. I feel they should be individual releases. But it would be nice if they were all done ready to be released one every four months, space them out so each release is a special event and it gives you time to appreciate them before the next one comes out. Devastator and the individual cons should be shown so there are no secrets around what the rest will look like. That is something that works against third party. It builds consumer confidence to know what we are investing in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JediFlaherty

It would be neat if the next one weren’t revealed until after the most recent one was in our hands.

Does anybody remember the timelines for Beast Wars reveals? Did we see Cheetor before Primal came out? Did we see Dinobot before Cheetor came out?

11. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    Boxed in Devastator mode.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think we should worry more about whether we get MP Constructicons at all over how they decide to give them to us.

• Like Like x 2
  13. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All together - one at a time could take years and would likely take other possible G1 masterpieces off the release schedule for the duration.

If they are released separately I'd like to see the completed Devastator before I got the first one so I knew at least what I was letting myself in for.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My main issue with the slow build is the first release is played with a ton more than the last so I feel like I'm cheating the final release's play time. ;) 

In a serious note, I remember playing with Binaltech Smokescreen A LOT. The scratches and wear and tear never caught up with the later releases till he was released again in a different deco.

15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I would like them to be deluxe class sized please :D 

16. JediFlaherty

Do you mean the car bot size?
    This is a really good point that I hadn’t considered.

17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Just kidding ;) 

18. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I think there's a Masterpiece Speculation Thread.

19. JediFlaherty

But then we wouldn’t know who’d win the vote! ;) 

(Plus, they’re all very excited about a possible Optimus 3.0 over there right now. I didn’t want to disturb.)

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Individually, so we can get angry at any delays, and how slow it is taking, then as a boxset that is slightly cheaper so we can get angry that we paid $30 more for the individual releases. Then a + edition with toon accurate head and barrel so we can ask why the hell they didn't give that to us in the first place while we are playing with our other two (now) worthless sets.

I would go for the individual only because I don't like seeing a big CC alert on my phone, and it is easier to budget for, but I will always find some way of budgeting if I "need" it.

• Like Like x 1