Heavy/Scratch: Masterpiece Charlene (for Skids)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Snaku, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What Recreated scenes thread? Link that please. Other than that, this came out perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 2
  3. myloschz

myloschz Well-Known Member

Ridiculous articulation at that scale! Kudos.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Damn boy this is great! Turned out really well. And speaking of powerglide, any thoughts on doing an Astoria in future? It’d be a great piece and better than that nice but plain statue.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did look at Astoria but I figure the dress would be a problem. I hate when action figures do that split dress/robe legs thing...
    [​IMG]
    I mean Orko there technically has articulated legs but if you ever use them, it just breaks up the sculpt and looks dumb so he might as well not have them, right? And the alternatives would be to just not articulate her legs, or articulate and put them inside a solid hollowed out dress (which would leave her with such limited articulation as to not really be worth it and would mean having a super fragile dress), or try to make a dress out of fabric or vinyl or something which wouldn't go well at that scale. Unless anybody has any suggestions on a better solution? Also Astoria had that kind of waifish thing going on which I don't think would work well with the relatively beefy arms I've had to give Charlene and Circuit Breaker.

I think for now I'm going to stick with just Charlene and Circuit Breaker (who's coming along nicely, btw - displacement mapping her costume is still challenging and time consuming but much less so than trying to model it by hand would be) and I miiiiiight consider Carly but she didn't mean as much to me as the ladies from the comic and there's already going to be an MP version of her from Takara. After that, I had a plan for a transforming Nendoroid styled Arcee figure (inspired by the MiniPower SD Arcee that seems to have evaporated) that I think I want to try to figure out - got as far as a few sketches but haven't started modelling her yet.

• Like Like x 3
  6. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Can we get a Charlene proto pic with a 3p legends? Or what's her height?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    I have an idea. Now obviously this wouldn’t be that complicated but you could make the dress similar to the amazing yamaguchi Batman or revoltech Darth Vader. Where the dress is made of different parts that can move around.
    upload_2019-2-26_12-16-33.jpg
    upload_2019-2-26_12-18-19.jpg
    The I have an idea the dress could work with about 6 pieces. 2 placed in the middle on the front and back, with two others placed across the sides. When placed together it creates the allusion of a full dress, but can move for posing.

Alterntively you could borrow a technique from the kiss players and binaltech figures where the legs swap out for a different pair in a different pose. Regardless of the horror that the actual manga is the figures do have some good ideas and were well made.

• Like Like x 3
  8. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    How about..
    201902260053361726~01.jpg
    Doing the skirt as its own piece, kinda like a bell, and have the hips ball peg into the abdomen, through the top of the skirt. If you leave some play between the abdomen and the top of the skirt, you should be able to get a little bit of mobility out of the skirt bell around the hips. Just a thought.

I don't know if it's feasible at this size and materials. You're testing fate with anything thinner than 1.6ish mm in FUD.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She's 44mm. I've been meaning to take her to work to show some of my co-workers who are into 3d printing. That's where all my legends figures are so I'll take a shot when I have her there.

The revoltech thing is pretty cool but I think it'd be really tough at this scale. The switchable legs thing is a pretty good idea though.

It's doable but I don't know that posable legs are very useful under a rigid skirt. She wouldn't be able to kneel or sit or much of anything. And yeah, I'm definitely pushing my luck with some of the peg sizes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Maybe then just color match some fabric to the yellow paint of the blouse and go with a cloth skirt?

That you pulled this much off at 44mm in height is awesome! Seriously, great job. I was kinda hoping the height would be right for legends and I could talk you into doing the rest so I don't have to, but I think that's about a cm too tall for legends.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Lol yeah I figured. The switch legs is a better idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For legends scale, I would think 1-1.5cm is about the tallest you'd want human characters. No articulation at all at that size and trying to paint any detail at all would be insane.

Yeah, it's a good idea and I'll keep it in mind. I don't currently have any plans for Astoria but if that changes, I'll definitely do the switchable legs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Very, neat.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    It's 3.5 cm, from what I can figure. That's comparing stuff like the scale chart with figures like GT and HS Optimus, or my Frenzy and Rumble who are 3.5 cm tall and were roughly the same height as Sparkplug and Spike on the show.

I started a rough human form a while ago, based on the Diaclone human figures, that I was going to use as a base for the different characters, but haven't touched it in a while.

This project has me itching to get back at it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I guess I forgot that the MP humans are actually too small to be in scale. They should be another centimeter or so taller. Sure would've made my job easier :D 

• Like Like x 1
  16. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    What're you modelling in?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fantastic work. It's inspiring to see another Blender artist. Not a lot of people here use Blender :)  I want to make some MP scale humans too.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Blender, though I guess @Ruizu1990 might've given that away just now :D  I know it's not the preferred program and it does have its limitations but it serves my purposes well enough and it's the one I learned first - I'm too lazy to learn a new one.

If I were going to start out now, I'd choose Fusion 360 - the drafting functionality would work really well for Transformers while the more artistic modelling functionality would lend itself to things like face sculpts, hands, and stuff like that. Plus it has a function that lets you move parts around and have them actually collide so you can easily test a transformation.

@myloschz uses Blender as well and from his Hardshell thread I learned that it's possible to create duplicates of meshes in Blender and have them linked so it's possible to have the parts in both bot and alt mode and tweak one of them and have it affect both (I'm also learning a lot about the resins available and how it's actually possible to use a home printer to create items durable enough and precisely fitted enough to build a transformer). So now I really want to take another crack at an actual transforming figure. My first Blender project was an attempt at Arcee that didn't make it very far and now there are plenty of MP figures of her that I couldn't hope to top, but, as I've mentioned a few times, I want to try out a chibi Nendoroid styled transforming figure of her.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    This! I love Fusion. It's got cloud collaboration tools that allow multiple people to work on projects together. I was gonna see if you wanted to team up on some peoples if you used Fusion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't know about the collaboration thing. Teaming up could be fun but I tried learning fusion a couple of times and found I just didn't have the patience to learn a new product from scratch. Does the free hobbyist license allow collaboration?