Heavy/Scratch: Masterpiece Charlene (for Skids)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Snaku, Jan 28, 2019.

1. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

Oh cool! Thanks for that info. I always wondered what shapeways was. That is a pretty cool deal then.

Can't wait to see the version from them now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Charlock

Charlock Scrap'em all and let Primus sort'em out!

Looks fantastic, man. Really, great job and I am really impressed by how quickly you got everything done.

One more question..

Does your tiny girlfriend have a sister? ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hm. You know, I don't know about a sister but she does have a friend. Josie I think her name was. :cool:  Hopefully I should be able to introduce you soon (I might have her picture around here somewhere). In regards to that project, let me just say that I freaking hate modeling hair.

In regards to Charlene, I think I'm going to try narrowing the sprue tree a little to see if it brings the cost down. I love this little figure but I can't imagine many people are going to want to spend $33 at Shapeways for her.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh man, such a nice job with this one such a small scale!
    I just wish there was a better option than Shapeways that looked as good as your personal printer. I won't order from them anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Found that photo of Charlene's friend. She's a little difficult to get along with but I dunno', she just has this kind of spark that I find difficult to resist.

CB1.JPG

Still super early. The hair is unfinished and rough - still blocking it out and I'll be refining it as I go along. And I need to find an easier way to do her costume. Just that head piece took freakin' forever to model and wrap around her face. I think there's a way to apply texture maps in Blender and have it use them to create a raised detail, allowing me to basically just draw her outfit on so I need to do some research and see if I can figure that out. The face is just Charlene's face sculpt with some changes. Still needs work and I'm not completely happy with the expression yet - I had her doing a more vicious Wolverine style snarl at first but it just made her look ugly so I calmed her down a little. I'm going to try to take some inspiration not only from all the Circuit Breaker artwork in the comic but also from Josie's first appearance before she got zapped - add a little bit of cuteness behind the vicious. The groove between her teeth won't appear in the final print - it's just too small - but I put it in there anyway because looking at a single solid tooth while I work on her was incredibly distracting. I've also got to work on her torso a little - for Charlene a lot of upper body was covered by her tank top but Circuit Breaker is more exposed so I'll need to clean up the line between her breasts and the rest of her chest and I'll need to work on some of the muscle detail and stuff. Not too much because it doesn't really matter at this scale but it's still something that I need to do.

Wait. Did I just hijack my own thread? :p  I'll give Josie her own thread but it'll have to wait until I've got some actual physical prototype pieces (sorry for breaking that rule in this thread - I'd missed that one). My printer definitely won't be able to do her costume justice, though. In the meantime, I'm hoping to have some free time this evening to paint my Charlene prototype.

• Like Like x 6
  6. betsuni

Wow, love the crazed look in her eyes on the rough piece. Glad there are fans like you who have the skills and software to tackle something like this. Josie was a second favorite of mine (not just because her outfit) but how she changed twice as a person.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 2 Steps Forward, 3 Steps Back

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    :hijacked: 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Necrobot

Necrobot Mechanoid Vivisectionist

That certainly looks like a viable option for Circuit Breaker. Wow!!

Your Charlene looks amazing!! Light years ahead of Takara, or even Dr. Wu.

Seeing how appropriately thin that your Charlene figure is, and how much articulation you were able to include in the prototype really has me thinking about other options for a Spider-Man figure to go with Grump.

As indicated in my previous comments on the 3P Appreciation pages, the Spider-Man Mega-Blox offering is too bulky for an appropriate Spider-Man. His cranium is massive and looks like a retooled helmet from their Halo line.

Even their Teela looks massive... like "Large Marge" with fewer garments.

I am intrigued by the potential of developing a truly appropriate Spider-Man figure, in scale with the MP-line. But... there is soo much I do not know about the world of 3D Printing and Shapeways.

Design software...

I was once familiar with Auto-CAD but haven't used design software since leaving the world of commercial art and packaging design.

How intuitive is the software you use? Do you create skeleton-meshes and tweak the design as needed until developing an acceptable template?!

How does everything get "printed" as parts on the moulding sprue/runner? Do you need to design the moulding sprue/runner too?!

Applying Colour...

Your prototype for Charlene looks ready from prime time... well she looks ready for Skids. Prime is spoken for and they really need to make a solid MP-scaled G1 styled, Elita-1. But thats another story for another thread... Along with some rain-maker Tetra Jets as I am not sure I'm feeling the designs from MAAS.

Anyhoo... back to the topic at hand.

Colour... there's a good amount of areas requiring different colours. You've got fleshtones, hair, denim, etc.. and not alot of room for error. What medium will you be using for colour? Is there an option to acquire pre-dyed plastic substrate?!

Amazing work @Snaku !! Simply Amazing!!

Cheers!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A Spider-Man in this scale would be fun and I have to admit I'm a little tempted to take a crack at it. One thing I need to point out, though, is Charlene is crazy delicate. I just have to accept that, if I want a Charlene figure at this scale and with level of articulation, I have to be super gentle with her and I have to accept that she'll probably break eventually even if I am careful.

As for coloring, you can dye the fud material from Shapeways and black for Spider-Man would be extremely easy. Shapeways does have pre-dyed plastics but it's their lower quality stuff so I wouldn't use it for a figure. So, what I would do with Spider-Man is dye him black, then paint him black (all the parts that don't rub). Painting the white emblem at that size would be challenging but doable, especially if the model was made with a raised emblem.

Hey, on the subject of color...
    IMG_20190222_194048.jpg

Not my best paintjob ever. It's hard to see but the face details just weren't all that crisp which made for really difficult painting. I've done pretty decent face paintjobs on DND figures which are even smaller than this so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to do her justice once I get the higher quality figure. I also messed up the shading on her abdomen - way too dark. I didn't account for the shoulders rubbing inside the sockets - I'll have to add about 100-200 microns or so to the socket cutouts to allow for paint thickness. I really want to just go crazy posing her but I've already damaged the paint in a couple spots so I'm'a let her sit and let the paint cure until tomorrow.

• Like Like x 5
  10. betsuni

Wow, that's cool!!!! Great job with the paint as well. Dang that looks perfect even though you say it doesn't look good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! I think she's probably good enough that, if Shapeways weren't an option, I'd be content. But I'm determined to make the next one better :cool: 

Now let's see. Seems to me I said something about letting her paint cure overnight but I don't recall exactly what I was saying about that. Probably something about how there's no way I'm patient enough for that.

IMG_20190222_212319.jpg
    IMG_20190222_213146.jpg
    IMG_20190222_213500.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  12. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No ankle tilt? FAIL!
    ;) 

If you're going the Shapeways route, what material will you be using? Your prints look better than anything I've ever gotten from there, so I would honestly be worried for the quality.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you! Frosted ultra detail is the material I had her printed in. My printer is no slouch but it can't match the precision of shapeways. Parts that didn't form correctly (the pegs in the elbows and shoulders aren't quite right, there are gaps in the shoulders, the hip ball joints aren't perfectly spherical) will be perfectly shaped and the missing details on her face and her fingers and toes will form correctly. She won't have all those little burrs everywhere (I tried to sand them off but it's difficult to sand at this scale without removing details). The only problem is fud is brittle but I think it'll work out.

14. betsuni

WOO!!! Nice photos! Glad you are impatient and ignored your previous post about wanting to let her dry. I know you say Shapeways is going to be better, but I'm happy seeing what you have now. You now have the perfect Skids accessory.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

this is so awesome and creepy at the same time. my mind can not handle it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you! I... wait. Creepy? I guess that last photo probably ended up looking more romantic than I'd intended.

17. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uploaded a new photo to the first post so the thread thumbnail wouldn't be that closeup of the rendered hip joint anymore.

[​IMG]

And a few more photos I took for the recreated scenes thread.

IMG_20190223_104932.jpg
    IMG_20190223_105238.jpg
    IMG_20190223_105800.jpg
    IMG_20190223_111037.jpg

Powerglide is jealous that Skids gets an articulated girlfriend while his is just a statue.
    IMG_20190223_104314.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  18. betsuni

I wish I could like this post more. Especially the Megatron vs. Skids photo! Great job!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks so much! I see you found my post in the reenacted scenes thread and liked it too so that counts as liking it more than once, right? ;) 

Also you once mentioned using the little scooter that comes with Savant.
    [​IMG]

I think I'm done with photos for now. It's been fun. I still need to do the carwash one but that's gonna take some photoshop work to fix the scale so I think I'll wait until I have the final version of Charlene in hand. Meanwhile, it's back to working on Circuit Breaker - probably not today cuz I have places to go, but soon.

• Like Like x 8
  20. betsuni

Yep. Glad I could like it more than once.

Woo, also the scooter shot. I forgot about that request. Thanks for remembering. Like that this is the end to your little photoshoot for now. Looks like Charlene is taking off as well.

• Like Like x 1