Heavy/Scratch: Masterpiece Charlene (for Skids)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Snaku, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

CharleneTiny.jpg

Huh. Sometimes I forget just how ridiculous Transformer scale is. I suppose I could've checked this with MP Spike before even starting this project. Not sure why that never occurred to me.

CharleneRightSize.jpg

That looks about right.

2019-02-10 12.26.02-1.jpg

And she can't fit in Skids' cab because her legs are too long. It's still pretty cool that he has an interior, even though it's ridiculously tiny.

So.... now I need to decide. Do I scale her up so that she fits the alt mode and can wash the car? Or do I keep her consistent with the other human characters so she's in scale to their bot modes?

• Like Like x 3
  2. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

Yeah the scaling for the car wash scene sucks for a small figure like that (and honestly it is the famous non-scale of the comics/cartoons). Honestly I didn't imagine that it would be that out of proportion though. At least she somewhat fits sitting inside of Skids (and probably can ride the folding bike).

I DO love the figure with Megatron. She fits that shot perfectly!

My greedy suggestion is to make 2 versions. One for the car wash scene which is bigger scaled with the model you already have. Then make a second one with her cowboy hat head for the Megatron scene (with the existing scaling).

But that's my greedy suggestion, my regular suggestion is to keep her the size she is right now. She doesn't look THAT bad for the car wash scene.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

Twitter:
    I feel like keep going with this design. Cause she’ll be like weirdly big if you change her. And she can still fit in the car which is cool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll stick with this size. It's not like I display my transformers in alt mode anyway. I'd snap one photo of her washing him and then put him back to bot mode.

What's funny about that carwash scene, though, is Skids is meant to be a van in the comic. She'd never be able to reach the roof from the front like that unless she was really tall.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

Twitter:
    Well then if you make her bigger she would technically would be in scale lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. betsuni

Yeah I never understood why they called him a van. Guess those who were in charge couldn't grasp the concept of a small hatchback.

You could do a trick with photography and have her further in the foreground to make that shot work.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Ooh, that's an idea. I was thinking of photoshopping it but that feels like cheating. Forced perspective would be much cooler but I don't think my phone camera can do that without one or the other being blurry.

Thanks for this and sorry for not replying to this post earlier. I stuck Spike on Ratchet's shoulder and photoshopped all the images together. Looks like the heads are smaller, torso is shorter, and legs are longer but the overall height is almost exactly the same (Rathet's head is higher in my photo, probably because I've got him looking up and because of the angle I took the photo from but I made sure to size his face and crest exactly to the other pic).

2019-02-10 15.14.54.jpg

[Edit] Also, come on Takara! I have DND minis that are half this size that come with eyes and mouths tampographed on. You couldn't give your minifigs faces in your freakin' $440 set?!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Optional Prime

Optional Prime Cereal Killer

Which means, Skids' roof would actually be around the height of her shoulder.
    MP10-Spike is only in scale with MP Bumblebee, and way too small for any other MP car.

Him (or Charlene) not fitting into the seat is just because the design does not give any leg room. In a real world car, the driver's feet rest sort of between the front wheels!

• Like Like x 2
  9. betsuni

Well technically you can still photoshop Charlene by photographing her, then Skids, then mixing the two layers to make them work. I tried the perspective thing like you mentioned when I made my Skids vs. Ravage image and yeah, the camera would only focus on one or the other (or make both blurry).

Ah, I didn't see that photo of Ratchet's head and Sparkplug That's a better way to see the size differences than the random angle shot that I posted.

You know, yeah you are right. The cartoon frame would have Charlene being tall enough to have her reach over the roof making Skids a car instead of a van. Didn't think of that till now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Minor update today. I've made all the adjustments and started the next round of test prints. I didn't have much time last night to print so I only got part way through the new version and probably won't have much tonight either but I'm hoping the day after will be free and I'll be able to crank out prints of all the updated parts. I've made tweaks to everything except the lower legs and the forearms and elbows.

RDgT5I6A.jpeg

Blurry photo I snapped on my way out the door this morning. The hip joint works now but is pretty loose since the ball didn't form perfectly (printer has the darndest time with spheres) but it's a successful test and should come out fine from Shapeways. I'll try to print an updated arm tonight to make sure it fits better.

Oh and this is almost done.
    Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  11. Charlock

Charlock Well-Known Member

It's looking sharp, man.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Did some more test prints on Tuesday. I got the pegs to form better this time and found that none of them fit in the holes. I sized the holes a little bigger than the pegs but I guess it wasn't enough. Also, after I enlarged the bicep peg hole enough to get the elbow peg into it, it almost immediately sheered off - as I feared, it's just too small a joint. Oh, but the hip joint worked pretty well this time.

So now I'm looking for opinions: if I size her up a little, up to megabloks minifig size, I should be able to make much stronger joints. She'll be out of scale with MP10, MP Bumblebee and all of the MP human figures - Spike; Adult Spike; Daniel; the new Spike, Sparkplug, and Carly; the non-posable figures that came with Tracks and Sunstreaker; and the non-posable "girl who loved Powerglide (can't remember her name) that came with DX9's Powerglide). But she'd still be small enough to scale reasonably well with the carbots - better, in fact, since the human MP figures are too small to scale with their alt modes - and she'd scale better with the exosuit Spike/Daniel that came with Bumblebee. She'd still be too small to properly scale with the cars, of course - I'd have to make her almost double her current height for that - but she'd be the same size as Mega Bloks figures, which would be kind of nice since there's already a community around customizing those and I could adapt her to be more compatible with them. I'd still keep her arms and legs more slender than Mega Bloks so she'd be more realistically proportioned than them, but the size bump would make a world of difference in the feasibility of this project.

Here's a pic of the current build (well, the first draft from before I started printing the updated version) alongside Mega Bloks Teela to give an idea of the scale difference.

MlXwh9ss.jpeg

The other option would be to loosen the joints. Make the pegs too small to really have much tension in the holes so that they don't sheer off (this would only be necessary for a few joints - mostly the elbows) and just live with the looseness. Maybe stick a dab of blue tak on the end of the peg before installing it to keep it from falling out. What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 2
  13. betsuni

Hmm, that is a tough call. For the ability to pose her in any position yeah I say go with the mega blocks size. Especially if you are aiming for that level of joints. If you are aiming to make her fit with the rest of the TF figures then I guess losing the elbow joint would be the easiest right? Easier than having to use the blue tack for the weakened joint.

If I was going to make a request, I'd like her to scale with the rest of the TF figures. But I wouldn't mind the bigger Mega block size since it isn't that much bigger (plus would have the elbow joint).

Oh and the girl who loves Powerglide is named Astoria Carlton Ritz (which always made me laugh at her name).

Glad to see you plugging along and getting all the kinks out! Thanks for the update and loving your work.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll do a test and see how it goes. I keep backups of every stage of this progress so I don't lose anything but time by making a drastic change and then reverting it.

I'll admit that part of the reason I'm considering going Mega scale is I'm thinking of getting Badcube Grump and a Megabloks Spiderman figure to go with him. I also saw a custom that somebody did of a Sparkplug from a Mega Bloks figure but it had Captain Kirk's head. I could maybe design a custom head that fits Mega figures and give Sparkplug a proper head.

• Like Like x 2
  15. betsuni

Cool, yeah it is always a good idea to keep backups at every stage. Never know when a branch fails and you need to revert back a few iterations.

Ahhh, yeah then go for the mega block scale. That way you can continue down that route then. Plus this could be your experiment in that realm.

Either way can't wait for your next step.

• Like Like x 1