Heavy/Scratch: Masterpiece Charlene (for Skids)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Snaku, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Finished up the articulation. Ready to do some test prints (I'll try to get to it this weekend) and find out if the joints are strong enough to hold together and/or if tolerances need to be adjusted.

Exploded view:
    Capture16.JPG Capture17.JPG Capture18.JPG Capture19.JPG Capture20.JPG Capture21.JPG Capture22.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a lot of articulation! Can't wait to see how it prints out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm nervous. All of those pegs are pretty small but in particular the elbow pegs are like 1.5mm and one of them is only halfway supported. I might have to sacrifice the swivel at the elbow and just use a hinge like the knee joint.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I'd say she has more of a longish square face. Your second render has her between oval and heart-shaped. Hope that helps. Can't wait to see her done. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. betsuni

Heck even that would be more than I imagined you were going to do. For some reason I figured you would make it either a stationary figure with no articulation or limited like the old Star Wars figures.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Venixion

News Credits:

Eesh. Sounds complicated. You gonna hand paint or airbrush or something else? Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Did you see the later versions? How's this one look?
    [​IMG]

I could've but where's the fun in that? I've got MP Spike and adult Spike and Daniel and they're ok but they pretty much just stand rigid in my display. I want to be able to pose Charlene in the carwash pose and the grabbed by Megatron pose or whatever so she can actually hang with Skids instead of just standing there. Ideally she should be able to fit in his passenger seat as well - probably can't sit in the driver seat for the same reason Spike can't - steering wheel doesn't leave enough space.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Venixion

News Credits:

:thumb  She has a nice nose and defined cheekbones. I like that.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Probably hand paint. Might do a light airbrush coat of the skintone to start with but it'll mostly be by hand. I do DnD minis a lot so this shouldn't be too difficult since she's more than double the height. I have trouble painting the eyes on minis which is why I put holes for her pupils - it'll be easier to paint the inside of the pupils a different color than the rest of her eyes than it would be to just straight up draw them on her.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Venixion

News Credits:
    Cool.

Yeah eyes are a real pain in the ass.

• Like Like x 2
  11. betsuni

Oh heck yeah that is a great reason to make her that articulated! Which is why I'm surprised right now and seriously thinking of seeing if I could recreate the comic now.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do you have any physical work to show?

13. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Not yet. I think I'll fire up the printer in a little while and start printing the first pieces. Unless you meant do I have any physical work in general. Like not necessarily Charlene. If that's the case, yeah, I have a partially completed modded Wei Jiang Alcee. I 3d printed a few head parts for her but was never quite happy with how they came out and lost steam on the project when Rouge came out.

[Edit] Oh right. You're a mod. Here I thought you were asking out of curiosity for the project. Silly me. I looked up the rules just now and I guess this is why you're asking

Well I guess I better hurry up and get some prototype parts printed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  14. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

IMG_20190201_232434.jpg

Not much to look at but it was never going to be spectacular coming from my fdm printer. I'll print some more pieces tomorrow and start testing the fit. Once I'm happy with everything, she's off to shapeways. It'll be expensive, especially since they're jacking up their prices in a few days and I don't think I'll be done before then, but I'm willing to put a little bit of money into a fun project.

IMG_20190201_232748.jpg

MP Spike for scale. She'll be a little taller than him but I think she should be close enough. The mp human figures are too small to scale with the carbots anyway; they only scale with mp10 and mp22 in alt mode.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Toolala

Toolala Breast Master

Cool, now can you make the Kiss Player girls in the same style :D 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

Twitter:
    Ooh that’d be amazing! If anyone ever makes a redeco of hot rod, an autotrooper and maybe a different prime I’d love that.

17. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Umm... No, I don't think so. I really appreciate the enthusiasm for my work but Kiss Players... Well I'd heard things but I decided to look it up after your comments and... let's just say it's not anything I'm interested in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. betsuni

Wow it looks great!!! Are you going to post photos of the fit test as well? Either way, looking really nice there. Glad you stuck it out and got her done. Next is me waiting for the ability to purchase one. =)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm too narcissistic to not post photos :p  Not narcissistic about my looks, mind you. I'm average at best (though my wife is all the time calling me handsome :cool: ). Narcissistic about my art - I have a greatly exaggerated opinion of it.

Here's a pic of the face cleaned up a bit. Cleaned off the rest of the support material and gave her a light sanding. It's aaaaaalmost paint worthy. In fact I think, once I've got an order in at Shapeways, I'll do some practice painting on this piece while I wait for it to arrive. Her eyebrows are nonexistent - guess I need to make them more pronounced on the model. [Edit] No, I'm stupid. Her eyebrows just weren't attached.[/Edit] Her eyelids came out just about as defined as I'd hoped though they did get a little malformed (won't be a problem for Shapeways). Think I need to make the pupils a little deeper. Her smaller eyes look just about perfect to me (so grateful for all the feedback everybody!) but they're going to be a pain to paint. Her curls didn't fair too well unfortunately - the contact with the support material didn't do them any favors - again, not a problem for Shapeways.

IMG_20190202_074607.jpg

It occurs to me that I should have probably printed with an eye toward making the ball socket as good as possible rather than trying to make her face look good - I should've printed her upside down so the socket was completely clean of support material. I'll have to do that as much as possible with the rest of the joints - emphasize getting a good clean joint over getting a pretty print - since this is all for testing at this point. Anyway, time to begin the grueling task of applying all the modifiers and exporting the objects on my underpowered laptop. I got spoiled working on her on my workstation at work - so much more powerful.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  20. betsuni

Hahahaha! Having a narcissistic opinion on your art is always a good thing.

Wow, it looks much better cleaned up like that. I'm jealous that you even have a 3D printer to do a "rough" build. Been looking at them but just can't pull the trigger on one yet. Still researching (which is why I'm still looking).

To make you feel better, at least your Charlene has eyes and a personality compared to the Spike.

• Like Like x 2