Masterpiece by the numbers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DaptoDog, Feb 3, 2020.

?

Are you happy with the pace of releases and the diversification of the line?

1. Yes I'm happy with the pace of the line and the mix of G1, BW and Movie figures

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Yes I'm happy with the pace of the line but would prefer more G1 figures

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Yes I'm happy with the pace of the line but would prefer more BW and/or Movie figures

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. No I'm not happy with the pace of the line but am happy with the mix of G1, BW and Movie figures

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No I'm not happy with the pace of the line and would prefer more G1 figures

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  6. No I'm not happy with the pace of the line and would prefer more BW and/or Movie figures

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. I'm indifferent / don't care for the Masterpiece line

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. DaptoDog

DaptoDog Well-Known Member

Over at Ozformers we've been discussing the question of whether we as Masterpiece collectors are spoiled? In the process I've crunched the numbers on the history of Masterpiece releases and wanted to share a couple of interesting charts here.

What I set out to do was to chart the number of Masterpiece releases per year from its inception in 2003. I have only included duplicate Hasbro/Takara releases where there were significant deco differences (eg Sunstorm). I have also excluded the five recent atmos safari versions that were never released for sale.

Obviously each release is not created equal so I've tried to distinguish the G1 + repaints that are essentially the same mould (yes that's the British spelling) and character but in a toy or toon deco, which are seen as less essential by some depending on the degree of redeco.

[​IMG]

Observations

If you are a G1 centric collector like me then just by going off the number of releases 2013-2016 was an amazing period. This obviously doesn't speak to quality but that is very subjective.

We can see that from 2017 onwards there has been a substantial drop-off in G1 figures excluding + repaints being released. Part of that is explained by the fact that the easy multiple character repaints (Datsuns, Lambos etc) have been mostly done. However, Takara is definitely milking the moulds less with Diaclone repaints substantially scaled back (eg Red Sunstreaker and Deepcover out of Sideswipe were previously considered gimmes). I imagine this has been done because they didn't sell well enough or they are simply prioritising factory slots on Movie and Beast Wars figures.

I've also analysed releases by focusing only on unique moulds (ie exclude all repaints or remoulds).

[​IMG]

By number of unique moulds the line has never been stronger. Though while 2019 yielded 3 new G1 moulds, Hound is the only new G1 mould of a previously unreleased character in the last two years.

I'm sure much of this intuitive but to see it charted hopefully provides some perspective.

Finally, let's end with a poll. The question is are you happy with the pace of releases and the diversification out of G1 into Beast Wars and Movie figures? For me personally, while I do wish there were more new G1 characters released, I do also collect and appreciate the Movie figures so it's not that bad.

• Like Like x 3
  2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    The pace is fine the issues with the MP line is bad qc, weak plastic and high prices. If we are going to pay a premium give us something that won’t break after transforming it.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    There was a time when I might have said I was unhappy with the pace of the line, and that I'd like to see more regular releases. However with the increasing in pricing that, for me at least, doesn't come with a matching increase in 'value' having 2-3 a year suits me just fine.

I'm very happy with the diversification of the line and would like to see more, G1 fans had been 'spoilt'(and I speak as one of them) for too long and it's about time fans of other parts of the franchise got some MPs. Indeed I've been a proponent of this since well before Beast Wars or Movie MPs were announced.

What I really want is TT putting out something worthy of the price tags they are placing on these figures or reduce the prices accordingly. The poor QC, materials, lack of hardware and durably of recent releases does not warrant the high price tag imo, they're just not as premium as the prices suggest.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

Like bignick said, I'm happy with the pace, but not the quality. I don't collect any of the BW stuff, but I've been really enjoying the MPMs and G1 stuff. However, when you pay the prices they are asking and have a slowly self destructing figure as the result, it makes you step back and say, is this worth it any more? I know I won't ever preorder an MP figure again after this mess with Hound. I don't have MP-44, but if I did and his knees broke early on, I would have been pissed to have invested that much money for that to happen.

5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I'm okay with the pace of the line, but I would like to see more G1 season three and four in the G1 mix. And I'd like to see better quality.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

G1 only guy here so I just don't want another year like '18 where the only G1 releases were repaints (AKOM Hot Rod, Prowl+, and Shockwave+, great though they were). My experience with qc issues has mostly been positive (both my WJ+s are great, Bluestreak+ is great, both my Primes' knees are fine, my Hound is crack free, one of my Bumblebees is great but the other Bumblebee copy has a shoddy paint job, so 7 for 8 here this past year), but obviously that's not the case for everyone so hopefully TT will tighten up the qc.

7. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd definitely love a faster pace and more G1. 6-7 new G1 per year would be great for me. Even at that pace that would still be 6-8 years more worth of buying just to finish up 1984/85.

1-2 Constructicons
    1 Decepticon (Astrotrain/Blitzwing/Insecticon/Reflector/etc...)
    1 Carbot
    2 Minibots
    1 Dinobot

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Here's an echo: I'm fine with the pace but hope the quality control issues get ironed out.

I hope the Beast Wars Masterpieces continue, at LEAST to get the Season 1 cast in Masterpiece form.

Same with the MPMs, I'm really hoping they at least get around to making everyone from the '07 movie. I'd love to see it continue to get MPs of RoTF Sideswipe or AoE Hound though.

As for the G1 Masterpieces, now that they got a new Optimus and Bumblebee out of their system my fingers are crossed they can get back to releasing characters that haven't already had a release. HOWEVER, after the disaster that was Hound they need to get their shit together first. I'm fine paying a premium for what is supposed to be a premium product but the QC issues have gotten absolutely ridiculous. My personal copy of Hound only had one crack in the door hinge so I got extremely lucky, but seeing the pictures people have posted of the problems on their copies I'm very reluctant to want to pay what they're asking for future releases.

My grumpy expectation for the G1s is that quality will only get slightly better and the next one they announce will be Starscream v3. But hey, I shouldn't argue too much with that since it would save me a shitload of $$$$$.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Notomus

Notomus Unofficial Pope of Devconism

News Credits:
    Masterpiece G1 really needs to pick up the pace with new molds, I would also like to see more Bayformers and Beast Wars MP's as I do think that variety in the line is good for us collectors as it has a wider appeal which can help boost sales and budget for future figures.

10. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Missing the option of more G1 AND BW figures. I don't want any movie figures at all but am buying the other stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DaptoDog

DaptoDog Well-Known Member

I get you but I didn't want to have an unruly number of options, which would make voting harder.