Masterpiece Beast Wars Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dachande, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    I guess I just don't believe that you really think Scorpnok will be next, only that you'd like it to be so you can feel more confident we'll get the entire cast. In order to give credence to your prediction you've constructed a theory to back it up, one based on what you think is a good marketing strategy but one that TT has never shown any propensity to adopt. I guess that's all fine, I just think predictions should be made upon what you think is most likely based on the evidence at hand and work backwards from that, not what you'd like to happen most and work backwards from that... but I respect your right to use an alternative definition.

I'd honestly like to know what you think is most likely to be next and where Scorponok fit into that becuase I just can't see how he can be your first choice.

Now i really gotta go bye!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I mean, betting odds exist for a reason! I can predict option A will happen wiht 70% probabilty and predict option B will happen with 20% probability, and they are both predictions.

I personally believe the Beast Wars line is a very, very different beast (heh) than the G1 line, and I think the evidence is pretty damn strong Takara feels the same. Tigatron is our sixth character from the show. He's the eigth figure overall, if we include repaints. Had this been anything like how they handled the G1 line, instead of doing Tigatron, they'd be redoing Primal, ignoring the repaints in both lines. Then they'd redo Cheetor. I think very few of us expect them to actually redo any of the Beast Wars figures for a number of years, despite that being what they've done with G1.

So we can't really look to G1 for inspiration, the lines are too different. First off, the cast size is very, very different. The animation in the shows were very different, lending Beast Wars to naturally be more accurate since there are more accurate 3d models to pull from, etc.

So we only have what they've done with Beast Wars so far, which is only 6 characters. Until Tigatron, they've been basically just the most popular characters, and it can be argued Tigatron is an exception because he maybe got help from them doing cheetor, but I think that argument would obviously be a lot stronger had it been an actual upscale. As it is, I actually do see Tigatron as them dipping their toes in less popular characters.

I also think that 6 characters in, it's kind of insane that we haven't seen Rhinox, Rattrap or Waspinator, three characters I would argue are some of the most popular characters. More popular the cheetor and blackarachnia probably, but definitely more popular than Tigatron. I genuinely believe this is due to Takara wanting to avoid making figures when there are decent figures already. At this point, I think they've basically gotten all the major popular characters out the way that don't have realy strong figures already, and they are going to start dipping into the less popular characters now and spread out the remaining popular ones, and I think Tigatron actually is an indication of that, though not to the degree I've been predicting.

I do think Scorponok is going to be sooner than people are predicting, is my point. It's a genuine prediction, but you can put whatever odds on it you like.

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I confess I'm drinking your Kool-Aid. Though I think Tarantulas or Terrorsaur or both are coming before Scorponok, I would tentatively agree all three are coming before Rattrap, Rhinox and Waspinator.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, I disagree about the chrome parts looking more matte. I feel like the chrome parts on the transmetal parts were incredibly glossy and reflective looking.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vicegrip

Vicegrip Well-Known Member

I do not believe Tigatron is an exception at all. It is more likely that Tigatron was on their short list of BW characters that they want to do next. I don't think any of their announcements thus far indicates that they are testing the waters with less popular characters. Remember, while Beast Wars had the same animation, it was a very different show in Japan, and characters often had very different personalities than what we saw in the west. With Tigatron, I always got the sense that he was really popular in Japan, more popular than his limited number of appearances would suggest. Tigatron is a majestic white tiger with the persona of a noble samurai; I think this is an archetype that resonates with the Japanese audience, not dissimilar to how Silverbolt's chivalrous knight in shining armor persona makes him super popular in the west (I personally loathe Silverbolt, but I can't argue that he isn't popular).

I think I am correct about my impression of the overall feeling toward Tigatron in Japan, but I'm not Japanese and I have never been there or interacted with any Japanese BW fans, so I could be wrong about this. I would greatly appreciate any input from someone who has had more direct experience in this regard.

As for which BW character they will do next, since I maintain that TT is focused on more popular characters at the moment and that Tigatron is indeed one of the more popular characters, I think they've got their sights set on Rattrap or Big Convoy. As for who I want to see next, I'd be happy with any of the remaining S1 characters, but I want to see Scorponok the most so we can stop speculating about him. Also, my current Scorponok is falling apart so I want to replace him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I have no idea of the popular of the characters in japan, I only only base my theories off of the popularity in the west. For all I know, Scorponok is super popular in Japan and that's the reason why Beast Wars Metals was less popular.

I can only base theories on the information I have. If any one is japanese and knows more about it, I would love to hear some insight on what is and isn't popular.

7. Predaking EX

Predaking EX I am Power.

Ebay:
    Is this official? Oh wait! No shit. Its not. And I'm good, no thanks

No I don't. He is equal head height though

8. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

So surreal...

• Like Like x 2
  9. MarikZero

MarikZero Monika

The CGI models are official...and so is the screenshot.I've just put one near the other to make the comparison...I...don't get it o_O 
    But ok, if you're good then I'm good.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Predaking EX

Predaking EX I am Power.

Ebay:
    I know you'd think people had better things to do with their lives? First world problems I guess.

11. hardedge

hardedge Well-Known Member

Anyone thinking Tigatron is a dip into "Will people buy something resembling another product but on a different scale?"

Perhaps they already have Tarantulas planned out but wanted to do a more likeable character in their eyes, someone who would surely sell more than another upscale/redesign.

I believe if we do get another mold it won't immediately be Tarantulas or it could be. Tarantulas is surely coming sooner than everyone else though IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Absolutely. He's certainly the first 'gamble' of the line. He may share some design with Cheetor but the total redesign must have coat TT some considerable time and money. Going by the 'good guys sell bad guys, not so much' rule they may well be trying him first before they do a 'less popular' Predacon.

13. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

You misread my post - I was saying the metallic parts (such as the blue for Dinobot, or Cheetor's metallic blue parts) are not chromed out on their Masterpiece versions, while the show has those parts as reflective chrome. Similarly, I'd be very surprised if they made Rhinox a glossy metallic green chrome for his main body since he was the most reflective out of the entire original cast, pretty much. The Predacons don't have the same chromed out sort of look in their original bodies. By comparison just about everybody got chromed up significantly for the Transmetal line, but the show doesn't make them anywhere near as obliquely reflective as the toys are, which is especially noticeable on Rampage and Depth Charge in particular, who have more of a classic technorganic look than their toys, who have super glossy chrome. By that logic I don't expect them to make the Transmetals chrome, instead of having a nice, more glossy paint job on them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

News Credits:
    Ha I thought the exact same thing- what a bunch of semant-dicks we’ve become- and I even knew exactly how Joalro would respond. That conversation happened in my head before I even read it. I think I’m getting to know you people too well!

Id like to attempt to make myself believe Scorponok will exist by saying that he has G1 and Movieverse/MPM name recognition so he could maybe draw in those crowds. I also believe that a decent beast mode would be a huge selling point and attract a lot of casual buyers. Scorpions are cool. Releasing Waspinator and Tarantulus beforehand may actually be a good idea to encourage people to want to complete their insect/arachnid Preds collection.
    Scorponok may be a tad forgettable but he’s not unpopular and he’s part of a very small team- which I’d imagine the majority of collectors would want to complete- so he’s probably not the huge financial gamble we make him out to be. I would however argue that TT should pull back a little with the price gauging when it comes to him.

You kiiiinda did.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Heh, at least your being honest about it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to feel ashamed or proud that you've gotten to know me so well.

I honestly don't mean to be argumentative or anything, I have this thing in my brain that if only I explain myself well enough I can come to an understanding with anyone. I'm also super patient and often willing to take as long as it takes to complete a conversation with both sides at least understanding the other. I'm sory if this gets tedious to everyone, I get not everyone has the same level of patience... I will try to not get baited so easily.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    I still don't understand you @Joalro maybe you can break it down further

Seriously though if Scorponok is just one of many possible realities and it's all betting odds to you, what is odds on favourite in your opinion? What do you ACTUALLY think is most likely to happen?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  18. Chopper Face

News Credits:
    Don’t apologise for being you. You’re one of my favourite and clearly most passionate contributors to this little Beast Wars community and I don’t really find you argumentative- more tenacious with a strong desire for your points to be understood. And sometimes repetitive comments are completely understandable when you’re having a discussion with someone who’s wilfully ignoring every logical thing you say just to double down on their own misconceptions.

But please, for the love of all that is holy- the next time someone uses the words upscale or retool about MP Tigatron, try to do as I do and just roll your eyes or link them back to the beginning of that whole debacle. I can’t go through that again :p 

• Like Like x 3
  19. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Honestly I have no idea. Takara has been fairly unpredictable so far. I mean, Primal was a fairly obvious way to start, but a lot of people assumed they would tackle some of the easier ones, and then we got Dinobot. People assumed they would go for the top favourites, and then we got blackarachnia. Granted, Blackarachnia IS a favourite, but not above, say, Waspinator.

Now that we are SIX in and still haven't gotten Waspinator or Rattrap, two really high favourites, that lead me to believe they are hold along with Rhinox. Now, they may have only been on hold until the other favourites were done, which is basically the case now, so maybe they will be next. Or maybe they were never on hold and Takara simply has a different sense of what the favourites are, particularly since they are in Japan and not here.

The point is, all I have is speculation based on limited information. So if we are to follow the trend and avoid those three for the time being as Takara can make a nice looking Maximal team using the generations Rattrap and Rhinox (though obviously not perfect) that leaves us with:

Airazor
    Tarrantulus
    Scorponok
    Terrasaur
    Inferno

Now, I don't think they are going to get through ALL of these before going back to the favourites that have been done. Each of those have different reasons why they may be next though.

Airazor not only pairs well with Tigatron, but would "complete" the maximal team.

Tarrantulus pairs well with Blackarachnia, but also is probably the favourite Predacon on the list, maybe tied with Inferno

Inferno doesn't really pair, but he might be the favourite on the list overall. However, it's also true that Inferno was a shelfwarmer back in the day, so it's a hard call.

Terrasaur is a sort of favourite, but probably has one of the most different designs, and colour scheme would be really welcome from the current set.

Scorponok is probably has the least amount of hype from this list. Might lead to lowest sales.

So the question becomes, what strategy will they do? If every single release is from the perspective of highest sales, I would probably give Airazor the highest chance because I think completing the maximal team is a high goal of theirs. She also allows them to complete the team twice, once with generations figures, once without.

If they want to release everybody eventually, I think Scorponok has a good chance because you do not want him to be the last one released. You want to finish the line with a bang, and scorponok would probably be more a thunk. He isn't the line finisher. So it depends on how far ahead they are looking. I think right around the middle is an ideal time to release him because a) You have the hype before the character to keep pepole enthused, but you also have characters after people are hyped about to keep the line enthused. b) It is easier to keep consistent and predictable yearly profits if you space these things out.

If they are done holding off the generations figures characters, or never were holding off, then Rattrap makes sense to maximize on the year of the rat marketing possibility.

So I'd say Airazor, Scorponok and Rattrap are the three most likely, depending on which strategy they are following.

I'd probably say in that order, as they seem to like the doing the good guys more than the bad guys, and being able to completely the line twice is pretty appealing. But frankly, I don't think there is a character that doesn't have any chance of being next, I think they are all possible, these are just the three that I think have the most compelling reasons for being next or soon.

Hey no worries. I'm not a terribly insecure person, I wasn't apologizing for being me, just explaining me and saying I'm willing to work on some small things to make this a better experience for everyone. Everyone can always be better, myself included, and I'm wlays down for some self-improvement. But I do appreciate your nice statements.

MOST people accepted the "not an upscale" without debate, I mentioned it to probably a half dozen people and it only turned into a debate with a couple.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Chopper Face

News Credits:
    Sometimes I feel like I should thank you because you go through the trouble of saying exactly what I would want to except you also thoroughly explain yourself or the topic- especially when it comes to explaining character arcs, motivations or the themes of episodes. I’m mostly just happily reading along and nodding in agreement without feeling the urge to add anything because it’s all there already.

Anyways, as fun as it is to speculate on who’s next; I think you’ve raised an interesting point by saying Scorponok shouldn’t be the one to finish the line with a thud so I’d like to ponder on who should be the final S1 release and why.

I’d say it has to be someone very popular, very necessary and notably absent and definitely one of the original 10.
    If TT wanted to finish BIG and pricey with the mentality that if we desire to finish the cast we’re gonna have to shell out for it then they’ll go with Rhinox. He’s integral to all 3 seasons, never changed body, would be the heftiest release and still have that wow factor of the likes of Megatron and Dinobot, obviously would be marketed with Optimus and Rattrap riding him in beast mode, could come with a plethora of his gadgets as accessories and they could even milk us even further for cash by including a stasis pod diorama (but I don’t really believe that’ll ever happen.) He’s also a good guy so, as the majority of the line is Maximal, it’d be smart business to string us all along with an almost finished Axalon crew for a couple years to really build a desire to complete the team and pay the crazy price. Yeah Rhinox seems like a smart choice for the show stopper.

However, part of me would enjoy if it was Waspinator purely because of the nature of the character. He was the last Beastie left on Earth and it only seems right that the universe would hate him enough to have him be the very last release too. He’s also a major fan favourite and has to come with a crushed cube version of himself, a flattened head and multiple detachable body parts.

All that said, we could actually be due a shift to Transmetals sooner than we think with Rattrap, Tarantulus, Scorponok and Terrorsaur being the only S1 specific bodies left to tackle. Rhinox, Waspinator, Airazor and Inferno could be held back for a long time to get scattered between Fuzors and TM designs. That might be an even smarter tactic because some lunatics like me may decide they want a shelf for each season with both beast and bot mode on show so would end up buying multiple multiples!

• Like Like x 2