Masterpiece Beast Wars Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dachande, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Chrome like on the Cheetor retool from last year

• Like Like x 1
  2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Referring to Shadow Panther?

3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yup

• Like Like x 1
  4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love to assume that be the case.

5. JohnGav11

JohnGav11 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm still needing to pick up a shadow panther. does anyone have a good source i could pick one up for a reasonable price or are looking to sell theirs with original box?

6. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

I feel like they wouldn't chrome the Transmetals - yes, it was a thing and cool, but it's not great for longevity considering how much of them is chromed, and the metallic textures in the show used for Optimus, Dinobot, Cheetor, etc. are more of a matte finish on the MPs. About the only thing which was actually chromed out to fully match in the show was Dinobot's sword, which was noticeable by comparison to everything else, even Transmetals, since it rotated and glittered in the light. Now, to be fair, there are some characters who more strongly benefit from this than others. Rampage's chrome honestly isn't very shiny in the show, whereas TM Tarantulas's orange stands out considerably and the show always makes that portion of his model very reflective. So it remains to be seen.

7. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    I really do hope they'd use chrome where necessary.
    The chrome on the original toys from my childhood is still fine.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    I agree, I think it's possible we will get one more before the year is out but not highly likely. It sort of depends if TT consider Lio Convoy to 'take a BW slot', if such a ting even exists. I would say Burning Convoy being an exclusive does exclude him form the equation. I do think there will be another one or two BW announcements/reveals before the year is out possible coming early 2021.

That seems fair. If the next BWMP isn't Rattrap, Rhinox, Waspinator or Tarantulas I'd be very surprised. I'd love to see all three of course but if we were to be surprised I'd be cool with Terrorsaur or Airrazor.

It was sort of necessary, season 2 was not ready for localisation by the time season 1 ended in Japan, so they 'had' to fill the gap. I guess they thought if they were gonna have to wait on localisation for season 3 as well, and both seasons were half as long as season 1, they may as well get them both done together. It makes sense...but it didn't really work.

I guess the scale problems attached to S2/3 characters occur due to some of characters retaining their bodies from season 1. If everyone had been upgraded TT could treat it as a separate entity and therefore scale (much like they do with G1 and BW) and shrink the characters down a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

News Credits:
    Make that 2025 and we might be in with a shot. There’s no chance we’re getting 5 original molds all out by 2021.

• Like Like x 2
  10. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah 2021 is never gonna happen. And besides Takara will most likely work in characters like Airazor and Silverbolt along the way (for multiple obvious reasons).

11. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    ..and you know what 2025 means? 9(well 8 us the benchmark really) years after Primal? Version 2 time! Just watch them get almost there and start the redo.

Seriously though we should enjoy this while it lasts. The G1 guys know all to well what it's like to have 'the rug pulled form underneath them', when reality didn't totally live up to their expectations. I have my fingers crossed for the full cast but no promises have been made, there's noting stopping TT having their fun with BW and moving onto pastures new (BWII, BW Neo, Armada etc...). We should, and I am, thankful for every thing we've got thus far and if it ends or starts over before we are 'finished'... ah well it was good while it lasted.

12. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Honestly, all I've ever wanted was a masterpiece style Dinobot, and I got it. At this point, anything else is bonus.

But unfortunately, the way these things work, is now that I've gotten what I want I can't help but want more. I see those figures on my shelf and I can' thelp but imagine how good the next one will look, and the one after that. Now that I've been given a taste, all I want is the full cast.

But if they said they just aren't commercially viable and they are going to stop, at that point I'd just remind myself how much more I got than I was expecting, because for years I expected none of this would happen, and now I have 5 amazing figures on my shelf.

So here's hoping they finish them, and the next figure is a less "commercially viable" character they get out the way to demonstrate their goal of doing them all.

I'm going to keep predicting scorponok every time until we get him, just because to me that signals we are getting them all, and that's what I want to see.

But yeah, this has been a fun journey and I've been having a blast with all you guys going on it.

But there's definitely no way we get them all by the end of next year.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Heh that's cool but for someone who's pulled me up on 'correct use' of language I can't help but point out that's not a prediction, that's wishful thinking, you don't really think Scorponok will be next, you want him to be next... not that there's anything wrong with that ;) 

...and we are back to semantics, whoops!

14. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

It can be both ;) 

It's my wishful thinking that I also consider a good marketing strategy. I think Takara wants a good marketing strategy, and are likely to come ot the same conclusion eventually.

15. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Heh... that's some impressive mental gymnastics. Takara have a good marketing strategy, put out the figures/characters that make the most profit, reissue/repaint/remould/retool/redesign those moulds where possible to maximise profits on those moulds... do over. Until that strategy gets tied/unprofitable I can't see them adopting yours. It's possible but far from predictable.

Anyway, I'm in serous danger of over explaining the difference between speculation/prediction and wish lists again so I'll leave it at that. I obviously hope we both get what we want.

16. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I'm not predicting Scorponok because he's my top choice, there are several characters I'd personally prefer both. I'm predicting him because it would signal a change in a marketing plan, which, if they were intending to do the full cast, would be by far the best way to do it. If they are only doing the characters they believe to be marketable, period, then they are likely not doing the full cast. It makes no sense to leave the characters least likely to be purchased all to the end, it would result in a slump in their sales. By pacing it out and mixing it up, each year would be more consistent.

Also, if they intended to only do the most popular characters first, in order, we wouldn't be getting Tigatron next. Even if Tigatron would cost somewhat less to make by making use of Cheetor's digital designs, and some rejected ideas in cheetor's transformation, he still would cost significant money in R&D since the engineering is all new. Some of his transformations wouldn't have worked at all, like incorperating the tail into robot mode. There are just different considerations. Tigatron wasn't a cheap repaint or even an upscale they can toss out.

I'd say they were better off making Waspinator or Rattrap if they were going purely for sales.

17. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    I don't agree that hoping something as yet unprecedented will happen and therefore wanting a sign that it will to appear is a prediction. It's a hunch at best. There is nothing solid to suggest they will or even plan to do the full cast. Yes Tigatron is a good sign but I personally don't see it as conclusive proof. They may well have worked on the two designs side by side or used Cheetor as a base for their design... or they may not have, we can't say for sure. What we can say is it's encouraging that they clearly spent a fair bit of extra time and money on making Tigatron different to Cheetor.

The longer your Scoponok 'prediction' fails to be a reality the less your theory holds up and we move further towards the 'It makes no sense to leave the characters least likely to be purchased all to the end' situation, and you are right in makes no sense but only IF they plan to do the whole cast which they might not, they might end/reboot before 'the end'.

18. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you think a prediction is. I get there is a difference between a wishlist and a prediction, I agree with that. There is what I want to happen, and what I think will happen. Then there is what I think is plausible, and what I think is implausible.

A prediction is merely a plausible outcome with some sort of probability attached to it.

Few "predicted" that Tigatron would be next, does that mean they weren't predictions afterall? All we can do is look at previous releases and guess what strategies they may use moving forward. I think there is a good business reason to release the entire cast, and I think if that is true, there is good business reason to spread out the remaining big-time releases.

That makers my statement of what I think is coming next an actual prediction.

19. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    I guess I just don't believe that you really think Scorpnok will be next, only that you'd like it to be so you can feel more confident we'll get the entire cast. In order to give credence to your prediction you've constructed a theory to back it up, one based on what you think is a good marketing strategy but one that TT has never shown any propensity to adopt. I guess that's all fine, I just think predictions should be made upon what you think is most likely based on the evidence at hand and work backwards from that, not what you'd like to happen most and work backwards from that... but I respect your right to use an alternative definition.

I'd honestly like to know what you think is most likely to be next and where Scorponok fit into that becuase I just can't see how he can be your first choice.

Now i really gotta go bye!

20. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I mean, betting odds exist for a reason! I can predict option A will happen wiht 70% probabilty and predict option B will happen with 20% probability, and they are both predictions.

I personally believe the Beast Wars line is a very, very different beast (heh) than the G1 line, and I think the evidence is pretty damn strong Takara feels the same. Tigatron is our sixth character from the show. He's the eigth figure overall, if we include repaints. Had this been anything like how they handled the G1 line, instead of doing Tigatron, they'd be redoing Primal, ignoring the repaints in both lines. Then they'd redo Cheetor. I think very few of us expect them to actually redo any of the Beast Wars figures for a number of years, despite that being what they've done with G1.

So we can't really look to G1 for inspiration, the lines are too different. First off, the cast size is very, very different. The animation in the shows were very different, lending Beast Wars to naturally be more accurate since there are more accurate 3d models to pull from, etc.

So we only have what they've done with Beast Wars so far, which is only 6 characters. Until Tigatron, they've been basically just the most popular characters, and it can be argued Tigatron is an exception because he maybe got help from them doing cheetor, but I think that argument would obviously be a lot stronger had it been an actual upscale. As it is, I actually do see Tigatron as them dipping their toes in less popular characters.

I also think that 6 characters in, it's kind of insane that we haven't seen Rhinox, Rattrap or Waspinator, three characters I would argue are some of the most popular characters. More popular the cheetor and blackarachnia probably, but definitely more popular than Tigatron. I genuinely believe this is due to Takara wanting to avoid making figures when there are decent figures already. At this point, I think they've basically gotten all the major popular characters out the way that don't have realy strong figures already, and they are going to start dipping into the less popular characters now and spread out the remaining popular ones, and I think Tigatron actually is an indication of that, though not to the degree I've been predicting.

I do think Scorponok is going to be sooner than people are predicting, is my point. It's a genuine prediction, but you can put whatever odds on it you like.