Masterpiece Beast Wars - MP-48 Lio Convoy!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

I'll probably get this guy but I'm not as happy with him as I could be. And while everyone will say he's accurate so it's all fine, part of the reason I miss the pre toon tunnel vision MPs is that we weren't using all these great manufacturing techniques to become slaves to decades old designs.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Broken Record

Amen. It feels like we've gone done a creative cul-de-sac in regards visual design. No imagination, not interpretation of intent, no improving on the designs of the past.. Just tracing over old drawings and cleaning them up a bit. It's not that it doesn't look nice...but it's been done before and it feels like a missed opportunity.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    Lip Convoy will look great next to MP Star Saber. Two Japanese exclusive shows that had some of the best G1 and BW characters to date! That anime action flare that classic japanese drawn toons owned with a fierce greatness. Not only is this figure a Must for my collection, but its also a reason I may buy the other BW MPs. Tho, I may need to search for suitable KOs in some cases, because Megatron is so damn expensive...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Atomsk

Atomsk Well-Known Member

As someone that didn't even know Lio Convoy existed back then, I preordered Lionidas immediately.

It's the only 3rd party figure I own and my 2nd "MP" transformer after Year of the Horse MP10

• Like Like x 1
  5. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Also to be fair those other lines probably haven't seen a continued increase in parts and complexity that the MP line has seen, either, but it doesn't change the fact that even the ones that don't have that excuse still saw prices going up.

Even PVC statues of the same manufacturers and scale have seen their prices soar over the past few years, too. It's really not just Takara and Transformers, it's just whatever situation is going on in Japan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just for frame of reference because comparisons with other lines are usually tossed in and how Takara is greedy hence price increase while other lines are seemingly cheap(and this is within context of comparative price increases, this discussion should stay on the topic of Lio Convoy).

• Bandai Robot Damashii Gundam prices averaged around $20-40 10 years ago. Now they usually start $40+. The METAL Robot Damashii subline may veer towards $100 with some breaking that mark. Yes they are better now.
    • Figuarts used to be $20+ but are now in the $40+ range. In most cases they are far better now and $40+ tends to be the bare minimum for a new figure. $50-60+ is common.
    • Yamato V2 1/60 VF-1's were around $90+ sans armor, $120+ with armor. Arcadia uses the same molds and only did adjustments for tolerances. Their standard edition VF-1's are $150+ sans armor and $180+ with armor. Their Premium Editions(with all markings printed on) with armor are all in the $200+ range.
    • Yamato 1/60 VF-0'swere around $150+ in 2010. Arcadia(Yamato's development team) made an all new 1/60 VF-0 for $300+(standard edition) with the A model being prone to having the legs fall off due to an incorrectly sized hip joint housing. The premium edition VF-0s are close to $400.
    • Bandai has a METAL BUILD line with prices usually within the $150-$220+ range in 1/100 scale(for the Gundams). Recently they revealed a METAL STRUCTURE 1/60 Nu Gundam for $900+. The funnels for the Nu Gundam are a separate set for close to $100 if not more.
    Takara is not the sole company in Japan increasing prices for their collector toys. You might think it's just them being greedy but when most seemingly are charging substantially more, Takara is far from alone. Hell yea I'm disappointed with the realization that yea, I'm probably going to be priced out beyond what I'm willing to pay for these things.

This isn't to defend any of the companies. If you were making your top of the line product, knowing that production costs are going to increase, knowing your toys need to make a profit: are you going to dial back on your cream of the crop line, simplify engineering, make more parts hollow, paint a lot less, for the sake of affordability? Or will you make the best product that you can?

I would hate to buy a new Masterpiece figure in 2019 that is of less quality than a then-new Masterpiece figure from 2012. I think we all want the constant progressions/advances we've witnessed in the line and we are paying for it. I don't want a Masterpiece figure that is no better than a Generations figure from 2013 or a Cyberverse figure.

Can you imagine if MP Lio Convoy had a mane molded in white and came with sticker sheets to make it yellow? Sure, Takara would save on paint and labor costs and those savings would be passed onto us. I'd rather take the paint.

I believe it but I think there's more that we will never be privy to. If the Vietnamese factories needed more equipment moved or fabricated from China or needed new tooling manufactured in-house, that would add to cost.

If the factories are not up to par with Chinese factories and need equipment upgraded to reach parity, that will add to cost as well.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the NeoArts Leonidas, but he's on my CHUG shelf. Interesting design.

The comparison between that and MP Lioconvoy is crazy.

Anyone know when the Amzn JP preorder is supposed to hit roughly?

8. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, but I have been buying figuarts since 2011 and with maybe some rare exception, they have NEVER been $20. Just checked my order history and they were $40 or more since 2011. And the same size figures are now ~$50 - $60. Over an 8 year period.

In any event, the costs of these MP figures are what they are

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People should also keep in mind that there is a pricing strategy where you choose to raise prices with the knowledge that you will sell fewer units, but generate more profit due to the higher margins.

Not saying that's what Takara is doing, but it's a possibility.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Active Member

Never expected this guy to get an MP figure. 
    Robot mode looks pretty good but the lion mode is a yikes.
    Still prefer the Perfect Effect version.

• Like Like x 5
  11. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

Except I'm not arguing that the kibble shouldn't be there.

The most typical scenes that do show the paws have the beast forelimbs below the beast joint tucked up against the bot tricep/shoulders with an articulation point right at the elbow so it can swing around and extend into forearm claws. This toy has the beast entire limb from the shoulder attached to the bot arms at just above the wrist. If we want to advocate strict toon fidelity, the beast limbs should be shorter and placed higher on the arm. (and really have the ability to swing against the forearm and have blades pop out, how do you miss something so badass and known for the character!).

I've said it's completely valid to have the beast forelimbs given the show and the limitations of transforming to a beast mode, so I don't insist on these perfect/elegant solutions for any of the BW MPs. But it's my opinion that it's lazy to not have shifted, tucked or folded them in any way for LC, they're just rotated backwards and "good enough, charge MP prices". MY objection has never been "OMG there's paws", it's that the execution on this thing looks sloppy to ME and to MY eye both modes are compromised as they don't appear to have perfected either mode, much less both, so feels like a subpar (rush?) job whereas the rest of the Beast Era MP's have been downright inspired and raised my expectations with each new entry (Blackarachnia is so amazing). The wings coming off the forearms on MP LC are ostentatious enough to make a Guyver feel insecure and while the ultra toy beast mode is 100% definitely less articulated than the MP, I feel like it has a better profile at the rear/hindquarters than the MP beast mode (which I've acknowledged we've only seen one shot of).

When we saw the pricing on MP Dinobot it was a shocker given the jump over Primal, but the reasoning was that it was due to involved engineering (which I don't think is completely justified, but whatever, they set the price). Does anyone realistically expect TT to price a Convoy/Prime at something notably less than MP-41 or 43? I expect more for the money and given how strong the BW MP series has been going, this feels like a step back, which was my original entry point into this thread.

but, you know, paws.

• Like Like x 4
  12. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

This.
    This a thousand times.
    And dont let me start on SOC prices please...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Atomsk

Atomsk Well-Known Member

Same here, that was my biggest problem with Blackarachnia... paying that much for basically a deluxe figure.

Wish there was a base version without all the gimmick accessories or even stand for $50 cheaper.

14. Kazimir

Kazimir Well-Known Member

I don't collect MPs.

That said, I think Lio looks fantastic!

I have the original BWII figure, which is a floppy sloppy mess. He untabs, falls over, crumples, can't keep his arms, and always has had these issues. I got him out of storage a couple months back having remembered him as being way cooler than he actually is...and he was so floppy I actually sat there for ten minutes considering if keeping all my BW figures all these years was a mistake...if I am this annoyed with Lio, why keep any of them? So, instead, I boxed him back up and put him in storage.

I do hope we see a new Lio Convoy in the generations line soon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Well-Known Member

Okay the beast mode looks like crap but I've got to say that fake kibble lion head on the robot mode is bananas.

I'm right there with you. They even retooled Optimus Prime's body to accomodate for a cost-cutting paint cheat in the animation (leaving the stripe out of the truck cab). That, IMO, does not make a figure look better.

16. ca12nag3

ca12nag3 Well-Known Member

I got the feeling that the reveal of the seacons has to tie in with the coming release of the first figure for the S2 line. Gives them a good excuse to roll in a white version box set.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Immutable opponent of negativity

YouTube:
    Which I would buy in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Strykerprimex

Strykerprimex Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustineBW

JustineBW Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    This. Takaratomy seems to want to compete directly with the other Big Boy toy companies like Bandai etc. They are clearly producing higher engineered products lately. The effort and production, R&D costs are very high obviously.

• Like Like x 2