Masterpiece Beast Wars - MP-48 Lio Convoy!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Massasoit

Massasoit Combicon

Not sure if this has already been asked, but is it possible to have the robot mode lion head (i.e. not the goofy anime one) still flipped around while in beast mode?

2. Trip

Trip Prudentia Fortitudo Temperantia Iustitia

So just got this guy in hand. Not really big on Beast Wars 2 but I dig the maximal designs. Everything is nice on him, fit and finish. Elbow ratchets are scary tight so I might have to loosen those. The figure itself feels really light. Like weight wise, it's really odd. Makes me really want this guy in Nemesis colors.

Still messing around with it. I will let you know. But I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wh33ls

Wh33ls Original G1 kid, and loves Beasties as much, eh!

Yes, someone posted a pic of it a couple of pages back, but it looked weird because the beast head doesn't allow the robotic head to sit flush with the body.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wh33ls

5. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I dunno. This is my favorite masterpiece since probably Primal. It's just fun, we can all agree that the robot is great, and I quite like the lion.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Trip

Samsies. Feels sturdy like primal but a more involved transformation. See both are possible (durability and complexity). I do wish they did a little more to cover up that mecha underbelly in beast mode, I dont mind the red knee caps hanging out (screen accurate as it turns out lol). But the bot mode is cool, the build quality and paint apps are solid. Some of the plastics feel really soft and overall the figure feels light for what it is. The lightness is not so much a complain so much as it is a curiosity.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trip

I few people already answered but I said I'd get back to you and word is bond. Yes you can but it doesn't look right. It works for dramatic poses. But the head doesn't really compress the way it needs to in that configuration.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I’m really not sure what you mean about him feeling light. I had the opposite reaction. He felt heavy to me considering his size. Also I just picked up Primal and Lio Convoy at the same time and my unscientific impression is that Lio is a little bit heavier. And he looks thinner in bot mode which is why he appears to be hefty to me.

Anyway I think he’s normal weight for a Takara figure. If you’re used to Fans Toys figures that might explain why you feel that it’s light.

9. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

hey if anyone is interested...I have one MISB that I am trying to sell....PM me if you are interested.

10. Paco Grande

Pics of this awesome looking figure with MP-38 Primal who pairs with him much better than MP-32. I think they look great together.

My copy of Lio Convoy is pretty much perfect. No major paint chips or QC issues. The elbows were too tight like most copies so I loosened the screws a bit. But I noticed for his right elbow if I loosened the screw too much the elbow started bending weird so I tightened it a bit more and now it’s good.

77C1C9D2-F8F8-49E9-B17F-CE42A26454D8.jpeg EBAEC370-4CE8-4A4E-B62F-A25E17A2E5DC.jpeg E4E33E12-3D65-4460-9AE8-CCEE58B30824.jpeg 1C3D36B4-7BE9-45E8-9305-4673143BC9B8.jpeg 266782E6-EE64-4E3D-B35E-B339D5B2ABE7.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  11. Trip

Great pics! Here's too more Beast Wars II characters.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

Have you seen Dinobots beast mode?

13. Wh33ls

Yes, I agree that mp-38 pairs better than mp-32. But I main gripe about that is that the beast mode does not completely. Yes, mp-38 does pair up better, except for primal's eyes. His beast mode eyes are just blue dots like the original toy and not anime eyes like all of the beast wars II. If he had just mp-32 eyes on mp-38, it would of been perfect. Unfortunately I've never seen the movie that had both primal and lio together, and I can't find any pics showing beast mode primal's eyes clearly enough, so I don't know how his eyes are drawn, so I guess I can hand wave it away as it was never clearly shown so it good enough for me, type deal. But it still bothers me. Maybe someone could clarify it for me please?

Otherwise I'm just going to try to botch job paint anime eyes on mp-38 so that it looks like they should exist together in beast modes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Paco Grande

i have yet to see any Beast Wars related show so I have no idea what is show accurate. I just like the MP figures.

I think the blue beast eyes match the rest of the deco on MP-38 but I agree that it looks a bit odd because they look very different than Lio Convoy’s beast eyes.

But I typically display in bot mode only so it’s not going to bother me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes. It's not great, but it at least seems to be able to be photographed in some poses and angles that look convincing; convincing enough anyway.

And since Dinobot Takara has come out with a Bumblebee, Optimus Prime and Hound that have all of these panels and fake parts to adhere to "animation accuracy".
    With Hound they even included tiny black dots on the feet because that's how the animation in the 80's represented the tires in robot mode.

I just thought based on that current paradigm they wouldn't have the "lion form panels" line up so poorly on this release -they line up even worse than the original toy.

16. Trip

It is a very derpy, clumsy lion mode, but I still eff with it

17. Trip

One of mine crumbled on me this morning. Think I'm done with Takara MP for now. Too much bad luck lately.

18. Paco Grande

Did you loosen the elbow screws? The screws are way too tight from the factory and if you loosen them it frees up the second joint on the elbows. But if you loosen them too much I find it makes the problem worse.

19. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Paco Grande

I transformed Lio to lion and back to bot last night and I got quite a few paint chips on the arms this time. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or not but I find it really hard to get the arms into lion mode without chipping. The white panel on the lions belly that clips into the shoulders has sharp corners on it that easily chip the red paint off the arms.

Anyway the good news is that all the chipping takes place on the back of the arms so you don’t see it at all from the front in bot mode.

I didn’t see any chips when Emgo or Watafa were transforming their copies so either mine has worse paint or I’m doing something wrong.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020