Masterpiece Arcee MP-51

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by S250, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I'm not upset... the idea of a Nightbird retool just lends itself to a bigger and more interesting discussion about the direction of the MP as a whole. Your point of "a Nightbird would be made as a cashgrab in the same.way all toys are made to make money" is just... whatever. Good job cracking the code, chief.

2. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Papa was a GoBot :oops: 

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everyone else pretty much made my argument for me, but to clarify, the Diaclone repaints are commemorating important figures in the Transformers prehistory. They are repaints, yes, obviously, but not "for repaints' sake." They serve a purpose way beyond a simple cash grab.

:lol 

• Like Like x 4
  4. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    ChunLi digbash yet?

5. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    You are entitled to your belief. That's fine. IMHO, no one at Takara said "Come hell or high water, we need to commemorate the diaclone series because it is Transformers prehistory!" No. 99% certain it was Takara brass saying "Hey, these things are getting more and more expensive... we need to milk every coin we can out of the gullible masses who will eat up anything." Further making my argument is the fact that they are being marketed as transformers and being forced into the fiction, rather than celebrating them as diaclones. Anyway... it's dragged on, and no one is changing the other's mind, so....

Wonder if a 3p kit will be made with a mini-daniel that can transform into an MP51 head. lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    You're not actually saying anything though?

Yeah. The toys are made to make money. Thank you for explaining that to us. It didn't occur to us that that was why they were made while we paid for them.

People are talking about the difference between the two design philosphies of toy-accurate retools VS retools to make inaccurate versions of onscreen characters. They're both to make money but they serve different purpose from a collection standpoint. The other thing people are discussing is what a hypothetical Arcee/Nightbird would mean for the MP line moving forward, as it would be unlike anything that came before and would likely be a bit of a Pandora's Box.

7. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Diaclone repaints have been there since the line was at its cheapest, with the likes of Tigertrack, Road Rage and Exhaust. We're actually getting fewer obscure Diaclone repaints than we did before.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

Has TT started doing Machine Robo repaints?

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why would they? Machine Robo is a competitor's brand.

10. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    Can't do anything Machine Robo related. Tonka licensed the Machine Robo toys from Bandai, but had no ownership. When Hasbro bought Tonka, they only acquired the western market name trademarks and the Gobots brand concept, not the actual toy line. I'm sure any attempt to bring back Gobots with Bandai would tick off long time partner Takara.

11. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

I made a mistake. Not Machine Robo, but the other line that Transformers came from. Can’t remember it at the time.

12. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    Microman Change? Has MP versions... Soundwave (Cassetteman), Megatron (GunRobo U.N.C.L.E), and Bumblebee MP45 (Minicar Robo).

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Yeah, the toy variants on certain MPs are essentially that.

The thing with doing Diaclone or Microchange variants or whatever, is that truthfully, there aren't that many. Most of the Transformers characters/decoes were pretty much straight imports. Mostly just alternate colours on the cars, for which they've already done, or have planned.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I would definitely not like a Nightbird retool. If the logic used is that Legends Nightbird was a retool of T30 Arcee, I think it would set a bad precedent. After all, the original Diaclone MPs were a bit of an experiment and when they proved to be successful more were made. It's probably best if the gates of Generations-style retoolings are left closed.

I wonder about Paradron Medic. While it does seem like an obvious redeco, she technically lacked Arcee's kibble... so I guess a retooling to make the backpack removable would be in order... or alternatively I wouldn't put it past them to make the toy a new character that's a named Paradron Medic who has a bio explaining that they came to Cybertron and obtained an alt mode or something.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Digger

Digger Collecting with the goal of no end

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah it does kinda make a mess of the logistics of retools. That’s why I liked the weird premium edition shit cause it made no sense at all and it didn’t really matter what happened.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I find that sort of logic weirdly protectionist of the brand, when even TakaraTomy doesn't hold it in such high reverence that they felt releasing their version of Battle Ops Bumblebee under the label wasn't a bridge too far.

"Masterpiece" is just branding. It's not an absolute statement of philosophy or what have you, especially when the brand's philosophy has shifted several times over the course of its ~15 year existence.

17. Digger

Digger Collecting with the goal of no end

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don’t think that it needs to be a perfect line. I think the name often confuses that with people and doesn’t do them much help. But if they didn’t do a Nightbird cause it’s not really what they do I’d get it. Not cause of some brand standard and not going so low or cheap, it’s just like that.

18. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    Totally!
    Up until 2016, The masterpiece line was "ONLY" G1 centric, and Beastwars wouldn't fit the line. That changed. From MP1 to MP26, the Masterpiece line was a combination of cartoon/comics/toy/art and the "ultimate version" of the characters. Then from MP27 on, it's toon first, everything else be damned. Until MP33, all Masterpieces attempted to get as close to the altmode accuracy as possible. Who's to know how the masterpiece line will evolve in the future? I expect an eventual Masterpiece Slipstream and Windblade, since both of those characters have a growing fanbase and are both heavily pushed in modern Transformers lines. Anything is possible in the pursuit of the almighty dollar or yen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if it's a "perfectionist" attitude. It just kind of keeps the line seperate from Generations. Like... is there much point in having two lines with the same design philosphy? I get that that's a touch hypocritical given what WFC has been putting out recently but still.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I didn't say "perfectionist". I said "protectionist". Just the notion that your personal definition of "Masterpiece" is set in stone, and any deviation from that is somehow an affront and travesty. TakaraTomy's own usage of the brand is decidedly more loose and evolving.

• Like Like x 1