Masterpiece 44 Optimus Prime V3

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by robb0429, Sep 5, 2019.

1. robb0429

robb0429 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Just a heads up, never reviewed a figure before on here! I didn't see a thread for this guy here so I figured I could start. Another thing, this won't have many pictures. It's pretty late as it is, but everyone knows what he looks like. Think of him, yeah mmmm. That's what he looks like all right.

Let me start by saying wow. He's truly great in hand. You've seen the images but it's insane how he looks right outta the cartoon. The articulation is great, he's painted to the nines, and great news: the backpack isn't as bad on hand. At least in my opinion. But he's not perfect, and we're gonna talk about what may be a running defect in the knee that people should know about as upon further reading is NOT just a handful of people. A fix can be found in the Radicons section, thank you you hero!

I'll briefly talk about accessories. Lots of them. Axe is cool, nice frosted plastic and nice shape. Has a cool joint too that can help with some poses. Its hook system into the hand post (have to remove take hand first) is smart. You're gonna feel like it should lock in more but it doesn't. You're meant to see a bit of the blue post. Not a bad look or anything, just a tad looser than what I would prefer. Blast effects have the same frosted plastic and aren't hollow looking like Beast Megs. Jetpack is painted tremendously well front and back and can go in trailer. Gun is painted nicely, and can fold up to store it places like you'd actually display it as such. Don't lie you know you won't, but if you do, it can rest on his backpack, butt, in repair bay, and back of truck. Thankfully the seams aren't super noticeable. They're there though. All Prime heads looks great but use a very soft plastic for the ears. It's obvious why, they're thin, but they're ever so slightly bent out of box near the tips. I would have liked a bit of a thicker plastic, other Prime have done this and have still had that sharp antennae look. The human figures are nice but Sparkplugs head just randomly broke on me. I was already being careful with these small ant humans, the head was even moving freely, but it happened anyway. Superglued, probs not touching again. But yeah the joints are THIN and a few of mine were paint stuck. Be VERY careful if you even wanna bother with these guys. They can sit in Roller, drone guy, inside of the cab, or stand via magnets in the trailer. Starscream disguise gimmick is cool and that head has everyone begging for a new Seeker mold. Gas thingy is included and can peg onto roller, the repair bay, and itself for some reason. I haven't swapped out the battle damaged flank yet so I don't know how easy or hard it is. Matrix is metal and doesn't use transbluescent for the crystal and instead uses metallic blue paint that catches the eye more. Adaptor for dinobot stand is there too I guess we're just gonna keep doing that. Would make alot of sense if Takara just sold these individually...

And lastly the trailer. It's certainly a big bulk of the pricetag, and it does make sense why. Big box, more parts count than usual, and every surface (I think) is painted. Even the inside. It's certainly nice but as with many of us, it's gonna be a photo op display only once or twice and a cool thing to mess with only a handful of times. One cool thing about it is that it has magnetized platforms for the human figures a la Dia Naught magnets. Neat. Roller is present and does Roller things, nice matte paint. The turret is a standout star here, doing a bunch of very similar things that the instructions take way too much time with to show imo. It can be on the trailer like this way, that way, poke out here, there, stand up like this, be with Roller with our without a tow, even double as a display base which is totally not shown in the instructions that I can find. So heres a weird thing, i dont think you can store the turret drone into the closed trailer?? The wheel piece knocks againt the gun platform. Also beware, the ratchet lock slider on the neck of turret guy isn't that good and doesn't hold well when you're using it as a display stand in any dynamic pose. C'mon, Takara, a $10 Bandai action stage does better than this. Lastly the back of the trailer becomes a dresser drawer for all your accessories. Nice.

That's all for accessories so 0/10 no basketball.

Truck mode:

It's a truck alright. Candy red paint looks great here. I will say the back is a bit unsightly. We'll get to that, as that's all the leg stuffs. But it rolls, yay. You have to make sure the legs are straight (we'll get to THAT too...) So that the truck mode is also straight and not bowed, and it may not come that way out of the package. Also be sure to micromanage all your tabbed stuff or things may not go all in. It's panel heavy, so this is a must. But it's possible. So yeah, it's a truck. Looks better with the trailer for sure and is quite a look.

Transformation:

Wowzers. It's definitely intuitive and complex, but not a ballache. It's amazing how the legs just...happen. But that can also be the biggest challenge. Mainly the part where you have to shut the leg closed to form the bulk of it. It can be difficult and there's barely a millimeter of clearance in like 4 areas when you do this part. May wanna have a Wotafa video handy for this. But the instructions did me fine. There may be a better order of operations though. I have a concern that I've never had about an MP before: this may be a bit overengineered. I appreciate the transformation immensely from an artistic standpoint, but this guy does alot of small moving parts that I just feel like didn't have to even be a moving part, but then again what do I know. It could all just be for the sake of getting that EXCELLENT curved leg look that not even TE pulls off. Is this worth the mess in the back of truck mode? You decide. Also, the part where you press the torso into the waste is pretty scary. The tab is metal, so it won't break, but Jesus. Not looking forward to having to pry that apart going back to truck mode.

Robot mode:

They did it. It's straight out of the cartoon. This is the Chogokin of this line. It's a beauty. I can't gush about it enough. The windows look so nice here. There also a frosted plastic that really helps the cartoon look. The back of the legs look a bit chaotic but you wont ever see them ever so shhhh. Backpack is there put not nearly as bad in hand. I'm gonna stop this part early though to talk about the articulation and the glaring issue with my copy.

Articulation is pretty crazy. The butterfly joints are insane, there's a fair amount of an crunch, and the SPRING. LOADED. HIP FLAPS. Flame Toys eat your heart out. Give us MORE of this Takara, now that's the kind of stuff that belongs on an MP. There's also that very rare teapot side to side waist articulation. Just a little, but it's there.

So the knees. They're double jointed. One ratchet in the upper white part. And uh...one in the lower blue part. Saw a video floating around of the latter joint just not working. Then i saw way more people with the issue. Some dont even know they have it. And I'm gonna try to explain the issue as best I can.

They're this small ??tooth?? that NEEDS to catch within this very /soft/ piece of plastic on the side of the knee for the second knee joint to work at all. Thing is, this plastic is so soft that when trying to bend the knee, that tooth will press up against the soft plastic so that it will actually warp it, and then the tooth goes underneath that plastic. I don't know exactly how the joint works, but I know that that's the issue. And the lower ratchet joint simply won't ratchet now and I'm too afraid to move it anymore to see if it moves at all, cuz now it just bends back to a neutral position when I try to move it a bit. This is a very odd occurrence as 1. My other leg is totally fine and I can move both joints fine and 2. I think I bent the knee maybe once before I noticed this problem. Why Takara chose this weak plastic to support a hard ratchet joint I have no idea, but the problem exists and I'm not sure how widespread it is or how to fix it EDIT THE FIX IS IN RADICONS THANK YOU. And no this is not a case of me being a hamfisted fool, I was treating this thing with kid gloves and it still occurred. You can see in the red circle how the plastic is bending. It should be perfectly round like my other leg.

So $330 down the hatch and I gotta say, this thing has some micromanage issues that shouldn't be on a piece of this pricetag. Sparkplug head breaking, I can live with, they're small figures, what can you do about the plastic. The ratchet lock in the drone neck I can also let go but has no business being that bad when Bandai does it better in a friggin model kit base. But this knee joint issue is pretty upsetting and is kinda putting a damper on my first impressions with this otherwise AMAZING MP. I'll definitely be doing the fix so I can enjoy this stellar piece to the fullest.

Hope this review was informative to y'all. Is it worth the dive? Ima say yes. But Takara really has to get some micromanaging stuff together for sure. Swirly plastic with BW Megs, thin plastic for a hard ratchet joint system, stop being cheap and get the good material out here, guys. Your engineering is insane (in a good way), the amount of paint is nutso, now lock it down with better material!
    20190905_010505.jpg 20190905_000723.jpg 20190904_152145.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime is (obviously) my favorite Transformers character, so I was excited from the get-go to own an official "definitive" Masterpiece Optimus Prime. The price tag is massive, and I was anxious when opening mine after reading about all the QC issues, but this is by far the Optimus Prime to own.

I transformed this following along with wotafa's video; I wasn't going to take any chances the first time through. I highly, highly recommend that video as it got me through the process flawlessly.
    I've seen some complaints about there not being a "masterpiece moment" with MP-44, but I personally thought the leg transformation was that moment, just the way all the parts move and fit back together.
    Overall, the transformation was challenging but not frustrating. It was fun, which is something I often forget about with Transformers; often it just seems like a means to an end for getting from one mode to another, but for me, MP-44 was kind of like doing a puzzle and I found myself getting moments of satisfaction when parts fit together just right.

Robot mode is where this shines. It absolutely looks like it came right off the screen with a fantastic G1 cartoon design. MP-44 makes MP-10 look clunky and antiquated in comparison. Poseability is fantastic, and the amount of accessories means that the display possibilities are endless.

I haven't had too much time to play around with MP-44, so I haven't tried out the voice clips or done much with the alt mode. One neat thing I didn't know about in advance is the accessories storage tray built into the trailer, which is way better than just tossing everything into the actual trailer like I did for MP-10.

Also, I guess I got lucky but my MP-44 came with zero qc issues; paint is perfect and I haven't experienced the knee problem. Hopefully my second one will be just as good, but at least I've got one flawless one.

I honestly can't think of any complaints about the toy itself; my one complaint overall would be the price. I'm glad I got it for the discounted Amazon Japan price, but $450 for this from a U.S.-based retailer is really pushing it.

I may be biased, but MP-44 turned out better than I expected and I'm glad it bought it (so much so that I have another one coming in, one for work and one for home). Transforming it was way more enjoyable than I anticipated. Robot mode looks spectacular, so much so that it's amazing that it actually transforms and isn't a Flame Toys figure or something. Alt mode looks great, too, and the amount of extras makes this all worth it. I haven't tested the sound clips at all, so I can't comment on that yet, but IMO the electronics don't interfere with the rest of the toy at all; the backpack is pretty negligible.

This isn't just another Optimus Prime toy...this is THE Optimus Prime toy. It's an absolute must for an MP collection, especially with the new cartoon-accurate aesthetic trend, and it's also a must for any Optimus Prime fans.

• Like Like x 7
  3. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

Color me impressed

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Awesome review. Maybe one day I can afford an reissue of this guy. I’m happy with MP 10 but the way I see it is MP 10 is the perfect toy represent where MP 44 is obviously the perfect cartoon representation. There is room for both in my collection.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

That's really unfortunate about the knees.

6. robb0429

robb0429 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    It is, but at least there's an easy fix for it. I just did it on mine and worked like a charm. Not that we should HAVE to do this fix at all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    The reason people are complaining there's no MP moment is because they're over looking that the entire transformation is an MP moment!!

I mean honestly nearly no red parts are common between truck and bot modes. So cool.

• Like Like x 4
  8. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I will be the first to admit that MP-44 has some pretty cool qualities (alt mode, battle damaged head). However, I just can't get behind the Panely, gappy torso; the grossly over inflated price point and that crazy over-engineering. I mean hell...Transform Element and Magic Square have made Takara look like a complete ass, in this case!! They proved that a toon accurate Prime is possible with out the bitterly complex transformation. And they did it for around $100. Soo Takara is telling us that the silly gimmicks and trailer are worth $350....??

• Like Like x 3
  9. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    Don’t need TT to tell me nothin’, I’ve already said yes it’s worth it, with my wallet, like many people on here have.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You want a MP "moment?" How about the articulation and paint? That right there lets me know it's a modern MP.

However, like I said somewhere in the huge thread that is the news thread for this figure, I don't get the same level of "awe" from him that I got from MP 01 or MP 10 for the sole reason that they both felt like that greatest amalgamation of Optimus in toy form, while this guy feels like the greatest G1 based Optimus figure.

11. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 7
  12. alteisen99

alteisen99 Well-Known Member

it certainly seems to be made 100% for dynamic posing

13. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    They're not nearly as close as takara. One example is how the windows go from being wider, shorter, straight line and tilted back in truck mode to being taller, more square, and forming a point together at the center in bot mode.

And those other releases didn't have the trailer and roller and all the other pieces and ways to store them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
  15. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

I'm poor in a 3rd world country and those OP from the Chinese companies can't beat the full package of MP-44 in my mind.

If money wasn't an issue this would be my first MASTERPIECE. And I don't like Optimus Prime that much.

16. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Truly a masterpiece in engineering for sure.

I'm more of a "toy" guy, and dont care for a toon look at all.

• Like Like x 4
  17. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

Honestly, I have TE-01, and I like TE-01. I even get on with the transformation quite well. But having MP44 in hand, TE-01 just feels so stiff and square now. I'm glad I own both, but if you want the clear advantages of 44, they're the dynamism and more interesting shapes of the figure.

18. FD3S

FD3S 3rd Generation RX-7

To be fair, I don't think there's ever going to be a Transformers release that matches the impact that MP-01 had when it originally dropped. Not only did that thing beat the tar out of every TF up to that point, it beat the tar out of pretty much every other mainline robot/mech toy released that year and it wasn't remotely close.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I won't argue that. We of course also weren't getting tons and tons of Optimus Primes in different designs back then either. We have so many choice nowadays that I don't think any new MP could do what MP 01 did. Even compared to 8 years ago when MP10 came out, we now have tons of more options and designs thanks to both official and unlicensed 3rd party stuff.

But still, MP 44 does possess great paint and articulation and he does trigger some nice nostalgia.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Man, this version of Prime sure seems amazing! Never did have the opportunity to pick up the previous MP Prime (he just never showed up around here) so I do intend to eventually pick this guy up especially to go on display with the newest MP Megs! :D 

I wonder, since I'm sure down the road we'll eventually get another MP Prime and since differing aesthetics seem to be a big factor right now... would anyone ever want to see an MP Prime that is accurate to how he appeared in the Ark in Beast Wars? I know his aesthetics vary ever so slightly, but I honestly would think it would be pretty cool! :) 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2