MasterPiece 12 is Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by sG_KYo, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Well, this new size class makes it more or less interchangeable with classics as far as cars go. Sideswipe is a little bigger, but not so much so as to be ridiculous next to, say, Jazz... at least until they get around to Jazz. And I think that's pretty nice. I mean, you've got the Alt/BTs to go with MP-1/2/4/5/9 at 1:24 (cars)-1:30(Prime) and Classics/Alternity to go with MP-10/12/14 at 1:30-1:35.

MP-9 being in the former category rather than the latter, combined with the fact that TT continually refers to MP-10, not MP-9 as the beginning of the "new line," could raise an eyebrow.

Additionally, your point about Huffer is most certainly possible in my eyes. Consider this: both Faith Leader and Classics Prime turn into the same-scale truck (1:45ish), but Faith Leader is a considerably bigger bot.

2. Hybrid Style

Hybrid Style AKA: TheFallen

News Credits:
    To help with the scale comparisons, this was posted in the Soundwave thread;

[​IMG]

3. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks man,this really help us a lot

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I disagree... I think it's very in-between. The Lambor twins in Classics are already pretty tall deluxes, and this MP version is a head and shoulders taller. There is no way I can see a giant Sideswipe working next to Jazz, Tracks, Prowl, Ironhide, etc...

I mean, it's not FAR off... but it's enough to make the difference in my opinion. I wouldn't mix an Optimus-sized Sideswipe into my classics. It think it would look very out of place.

I think MP-9 works as long as he's "Rodimus". That half-assed Hot Rod mode messes up the scale, but a Prime-sized MP Rodimus fits in alright, I think.

Exactly...with Huffer's transformation, it would be easy to pull off. However, I guess your mileage will vary depending on how big you want your Huffer to be. I'm perfectly fine with Minibots being around the same size as regular "Diaclone" MP Autobots, but to get them smaller while keeping the vehicle modes consistent would take some doing.

On the other hand, who says Huffer needs to transform into a cab truck the same size as Optimus. His toy was stylized enough to match all sorts of smaller truck types. He is, after all, only a 4-wheeled truck, not a true tractor trailer.

zmog

5. Stepper

News Credits:
    So it has been confirm that Amazon Sideswipe will come with extra accessories which is the pile driver or??

6. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Perhaps I'm visualizing MP Sideswipe incorrectly, it's all pretty new. You are probably right about him being too big, but I suspect people (me included) will use classics cars to fill out the MP ranks nonetheless. But now I see your point. MP-10 and classics sideswipe are in scale. A new sideswipe that is bigger is in scale with nothing in particular.

Regardless, Rodimus is too big, even in Rodimus mode. I mean, his bot mode is fine, maybe could be a little shorter, whatever, but the alt mode is much closer to MP-1's scale than MP-10's. Actually even bigger, around Alternators size. I did all these measurements myself for the scale thread, I think he was 1:26 but I wouldn't swear to it. Right around there.

I realize Rodimus doesn't turn into a real model of winnebago, but if he were MP-10's scale he would be far too wide to legally drive on roads in the US. Really the only way around it is to say "it's not based on the scale of a winnebago at all, it's much bigger. It's a cybertronian truck that happens to look a lot like a winnebago." Then, okay. Bad disguise, but okay.

In Hot Rod mode his scale is almost the largest of any transformer.. 1:20 or so assuming (as we typically do) that this car is based on the dome zero. So, yeah, I think there's plenty of room for either a new Rodimus or a new Hot Rod. I sure wouldn't turn down MP-20 and 21 being Rod and Galvy. Just sayin'.

And yeah, you could probably get away with having huffer be, like, a u-haul cab. Brawn, Beachcomber and Windcharger are certainly doable and Cosmos can be given a ton of leeway given his alt mode isn't a real thing... but Seaspray and Powerglide remain a problem. In fact I'll go ahead and say Powerglide is an unsolveable problem as he would be about twice the size of MP-10 in the same scale. Small hovercrafts certainly exist for Seaspray, but you would have to considerably change his design to make him one of those.

7. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Sunstreaker is not going to be far off!!!

8. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Agreed, although I would've been glad with a 1/25 or 26 as well. But I'm honestly still not willing to replace my alt collection with this new MP line.

I'm actually afraid he's even smaller. The Tokyo pics make Sideswipe look a tiny bit smaller, more like 16.5 cm. Definitely won't mix with alts.

He's not a winnebago, but a futuristic truck from the far distant future of 2005. Always hated that derogatory Winnebago description.

I keep reading this, but then I look at the Hot Rod car, the small seats and I look at the HA/KP figures who fit in 1/24-28 vehicles and I just can't imagine them fitting in that car. Hot Rod's design must be way off if the size of his altmode suggest 1/20, while there isn't room for 1/28 sized human figures.

9. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    What I used was width. It is entirely possible he is simply exaggeratedly wide or his cockpit is off-model. I have encountered other figures that are wider than they should be, but his proportions seem more or less correct. I didn't mean anything derogatory by calling him a Winnebago, that is simply the closest to an actual earth-mode that exists so I started from there. It doesn't really matter, Trucks and Winnebagos (and all automobiles) are held to the same standards as far as width goes and Rodimus Prime is wider than Optimus Prime.

So the point remains that if Rodimus Prime is an earth mode, he's either around 1:26 or roads are much wider in this far flung 2005.. and Hot Rod, being a not-much-less-wide toy but supposed to be a much-less-wide car, is around 1:20. Or my math was all wrong. That could be, too. Feel free to check my work.

10. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

The wiinebago monniker has crept in and everybody calls it that -- even though there's nothing in fiction indicating it is a winnebago and many things pointing to it being a futuristic truck. It was even called a truck in advertisements.

But one of these days I'm going to start a crusade to clear Rodimus his name :D 

Agreed, the HR altmode is completely wonko. The car is really wide easily making it a 1/20 scale. But the wheels are way too small for this car and the cockpit is impossibly small.

The sad thing is that I think MP-9 is a perfect MP Hot Rod and a lousy MP Rodimus Prime: in robot, transformation and therefor altmode. But due to the much smaller size of MP-12 (to get back on topic) MP-9 doesn't fit anymore.

11. Stepper

News Credits:
    Hopefully that is the case,we shall see.

12. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I doubt it. If I had to guess, I think Prowl would be a better candidate cuz with him you get Bluestreak and Smokescreen

13. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Found this higher resolution video of the presentation:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  14. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Is Sideswipe going to come with his jet pack? I've seen his pile drivers which I've always wanted a Sideswipe that had the pile drivers but I would really love it if he had his jet pack, he can't be a master piece without it, right?

15. Stepper

News Credits:
    As far as of now,all the accessories are shown for Sideswipe but no jet pack.

16. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    No jet pack, as for why, I'd hazard that it's to maintain the same price point as Red Alert.

17. Stepper

News Credits:
    If added the jetpack,the price will sure jack up.

18. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Damn.. didn't think about that. Oh well. Maybe someone will come up with an up grade kit with it or something.

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

What's up with the Shockwave silhouette at 8:12 in? Is that just a psych-out before the actual Soundwave reveal?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  20. Stepper

News Credits:
    Just a feeling or what,i think TakaraTomy will eventually still issue MP Shockwave but for that,we may have to wait much longer.