Mastermind Creations Oberon - Beast Machines Obsidian

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by LazyAza, Jan 27, 2016.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animated, and MMC Strika completely lack the blue highlights, for starters (and depending on the lighting, Strika's greys could also be perceived as fairly blue-ish as well), and she also frequently leaned towards magenta in the show vs. the duller purples of the Animated and MMC version.

Either way, she's not a direct adaptation of the show's colourscheme, so it fits that the accompanying Obsidian isn't, either.

2. ToyDojo

ToyDojo Sensei

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    It's such a shame that this version of Oberon does nothing for me, because I am surprised by just how much I like him. Was considering only buying Whirl but damn am I hesitating now.

On that note, I'd love an Asterisk version that's based on TF Universe Rotorbolt. It'd be perfect as a convention exclusive and it would look killer in metallic purple and red. TFU Obsidian colors would also be hot.

RotorboltCatalog.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Heck, do a Blastcharge repaint too, for good measure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    If the Dicamus mold wasn't so meh and didn't already have three versions I would definitely be in for that.

6. Garralous

Garralous Member

Got mine in the mail today! My first third party figure too, everything clicks- it's really quite lovely. Now I'm sorely tempted to pick up Titanika and complete the set.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Got mine today and boy he's lovely. Obsidian deserves all the toys made after him <3

8. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Hoping to get mine soon. Shipped yesterday, so it shouldn't be too long.

9. User_96283

User_96283 Banned

Just got this guy, and holy tits it took me by surprise. The quality feels TOP NOTCH in regards to paint, plastic, joints, tolerances, and poseability + posing options. The hands are a ton of fun to pose and look super creepy, especially if you have him in his bot hovering/floating mode. The head/neck articulation is awesome too, and the ab crunch/lean back is terrific as well. Literally stunned by this guy.
    I am worried about all this translucent plastic so I am being extra careful, but it seems pretty robust despite that. The face sculpt and green eyes are also quite stunning. I do wish the rockets in the rocket pods were painted, but there is enough gorgeous, shiny paint in many other places to make me totally forgive it. There is also a lot of satisfying robotic detail all over and really goes further than some other MMC figures that tends to be a little overdone with the line sculpting.
    The butt section has a 5mm peg for you to cram a stand peg into it and get him floating around. I haven't transformed him yet to chopper(?) mode, but so far, this thing has really impressed.
    What a far cry Jaegertron is in comparison imo.

Unrelated but I also snagged TR Misfire, Twintwist, and Windlbade today... I don't know which one to spend time with... aahhh.... 1st world problems.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Chainlink

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Finally got this guy and Titanika in the mail today! Question is... Who should I open first...

• Like Like x 1
  11. User_96283

User_96283 Banned

Titanika, she's awesome, but i think Oberon is better, so save the best for last?

12. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  13. Chainlink

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Now that I've had time to mess with him, he's... Alright. I feel like he's just sitting in a middle ground where he's not bad by any means, but also nothing incredible.
    Vehicle mode is solid for the most part. Not many complaints as everything holds together well. However, I'm a little disappointed with the propellers. The armatures don't really tab in. There's a peg on the arms that the underside of the propellers should tab in, but they aren't secure. At all. They just sort of rest there. It's not a major problem as there are other tabs near the cockpit, but when there's an obvious thing for it to connect to, and it doesn't, it bothers me.

Robot mode is good. Looks great with lots of personality and articulation. However, again, there's the issue of things not really locking in. The torso in this case. There's enough friction in his abdomen/waist assembly to keep it there, but I do wish there were maybe some tabs on his but that could peg into the backpack for that added bit of security. Also, he has a giant hole behind his head, which is kind of an eyesore.

I don't know. Mostly non-issues, if I'm being honest. I opened Titanika first and found that I enjoy her much more even with her shoulders. She just has that solid chunky-ness that makes her feel strong all throughout. Even in her transformation, which is blocked out in large, moving chunks. Maybe messing with her first skewed my viewpoint and made Oberon seem a bit lackluster? It's a distinct possibility.

That all being said, I don't regret my purchase, but also have a hard time recommending him unless you want an Obsidian to go along with your Strika. He does what he needs to do, and in that regard he's great, but he's definitely not a figure that needs to be highly desired.

14. Sracsose

Sracsose Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Posted Some pictures in the BW thread, but I'm really enjoying Oberon. Will someone please do Tankor? He's the only general that there is just no good option for. Oberon1.png cheetor.png Generals1.png Oberons2.png

• Like Like x 7
  15. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I received mine yesterday in my BBTS Pile of Loot. I might post more thoughts later, but I freaking LOVE my Oberon figure. By coincidence, this POL also had the MMC versions of Hearts of Steel Starscream and the evil-colored locomotive. WOW. MMC sure has come a long way.

Unfortunately, my Oberon came missing 1 of the orange tail fins. It looks like they simply clip on without glue, and that the person at the factory forgot to clip on both of them.

I contacted BBTS and asked for a replacement part. Is this asking too much?

16. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    BBTS will probably take care of that ASAP. They're usually quite good about simple things like that

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    So nice to have this figure after almost a year waiting.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Omnondippy

Omnondippy Well-Known Member

Just had an idea, With the confined Unicron Trilolgy characters in the reformatted line, I thought that this is probably the most possible character to be done given Mmc love there use of molds.
    reduced-image_12327_106.jpg 2995168-6010_cyclonus_dreamwave_profile1.jpg

19. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    Not familiar with the character, but from that art, it seems the mold is way too skinny.

20. Omnondippy

Omnondippy Well-Known Member

Its Cyclonus from The series Armarda. Thats just one picture, I'll give you another one.
    Unknown.jpeg images.jpeg

They could also do his minicon, Crumplezone
    Unknown-4.jpeg