Mastermind Creations Oberon - Beast Machines Obsidian

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by LazyAza, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Mildly incorrect, beast machines never makes it clear which faction obsidian and strika belonged to, the only allusion to their faction is that they never lost a battle, however their priority and loyalty is more so to cybertron and not a single faction so its likely they defected accordingly to who controlled cybertron

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, I don't recall them ever being tied to a faction. They served Cybertron, so whoever was in control at the time, I suppose. Since Megatron was Cybertron in BM, they were aligned with him.
    Which I always thought was cool. It's neat to see some more ambiguous characters. (Now I feel the need to go back and watch some of their episodes...)

That all being said, Titanika and Oberon will be hanging out with my 'Cons.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    The only times they've ever been explicitly tied to a faction outside of the vehicons is the botcon machine wars set as autobots and animated where strika was a decepticon

• Like Like x 1
  4. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    I like their designs a bit more as Decepticons, and Strika gives them a femalien presence. But if we are honest to their character, they are likely Autobots more often than not. Remember that even when Decepticons are in charge, they want to pillage and plunder and that includes the planet itself.

These figures look great and I'm going to pick them up.

5. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I disagree, I'm sure there are MORE fans of Beast Machines than Animated. Regardless, as this is a collectors' piece, a BM recolour is inevitable, as these are BM characters before anything else.

Looking forward to the inevitable recolours!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Really? This was certainly not the case in G1, where planet's resources were exhausted during the war (by both sides) and, while the Decepticons ruled Cybertron, there was no sign of pillage and plunder. Indeed, they processed criminals like the Combaticons much like any government authority; they enforced discipline in their own ranks much like any military force; and they kept the planet relatively intact - after awakening in 1984, the Autobots were able to visit many locations they had abandoned 5 million years prior, such as Wheeljack's lab and Alpha Trion's hideout, and they were still there.

Crystal City is the only G1 location that was "pillaged" and even that story comes from a completely unreliable narrator (Omega Supreme).

I also haven't seen any indicators that BW Predacons are particularly prone to pillaging, and BMach Megatron did his damn to keep the planet running (even if he did modify it in his image).

• Like Like x 1
  7. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I don't recall either Strika or Obsidan being referred to as
    Autobots in the show. From my recollection, they were just referred to as "ancient generals of Cybertron, committed to its protection"? If that's the case, then G1 Shockwave was similar, too.

8. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    If so, their loss. I'll wait for another company to do it, or happily buy a KO recolour of both figs.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh cool, TCP got their Obsidian stock in, my invoice showed up this afternoon. I won't see him until FT Omega Part B shows up, so not for another month or so, but still nice to know the wait is almost over.

Ok a little off-topic, but speaking of re-releases in general, any chance you could put in a word with MMC to get them to re-release Commotus? That thing's actually selling for $300 on eBay now.

10. Chosen Prime

Chosen Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey there everyone, Oberon is now in stock as well as Turben! Oberon's paint looks really good with the metallic accents.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  11. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sadly making more copies of anything is never as simple as yo people want some more we should make em. :lol  I'm sure if and when we can the boss will have that done if he wants it done but ehhh not my realm of specialty so I can't exactly be all yo boss we should do that. His company his business I'm just an arty farty grunt that tries to help make the stuff look cool. haha

• Like Like x 1
  12. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    So the chances of a show accurate version is pretty low, I take it?

13. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    I'd say the chances of this figure getting a second run of any kind at all are pretty low.

Though I'd guess if you can find 499 friends worldwide who'd make it known to MMC that they'd spend the $90 or so for a show-accurate redeco, maybe there's a chance. :) 

14. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    That makes the choice of colors even more bizarre :( 

• Like Like x 1
  15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Yeah, the mold in general looks astounding, the headsculpt is especially nice, but his name was Obsidian...he should, at the very least, be darkly colored. My favorite usage of the original mold was this:
    obsidian.jpg
    Also the one I still have, actually. It would be great to see this guy in these colors, the original toy colors, or even the BW Returns deco. It's not that these colors are bad, it looks nice enough, they just seem like an odd choice. Still, like almost all of MMC's releases, this is something I do hope to eventually pick up, though if I have to pick one it will be Whirl, in large part because of the more character-accurate color scheme.

16. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    @ Chosen Prime: Might we see video reviews of either Oberon or Turben or even both in the future? ;) 

17. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    You are correct in that in Beast Machines, he was the planet. The resources were naturally theirs. He wasn't harming the planet, he was protecting it from an organic scourge in their minds.

But in G1, it is natural to understand that the Decepticons, locked in a tight war with the Autobots for time scales difficult for us to comprehend, have and had pillaged and plundered their own planet in the name of victory. Yes, the Autobots are also guilty of planetary erosion and burnout, but they would take what they need. Decepticons are about hording energy, and never having too much because it can power larger and grander weapons of war. We see Cybertron when it is burnt out, but it is ultimately the Decepticons quest for power that has lead to this state.

18. Chosen Prime

Chosen Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am not sure if we will be able to cover these, but we are trying to fit them in.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really? Titanika wasn't done up in Beast Machines cartoon colours, either. Her colours were more reminiscent of the Animated version of the character. So Oberon likewise follows in that general direction, being derivative of the original colours, but a bit more vibrant. He's also fairly reminscent of the BotCon exclusive version.

• Like Like x 1
  20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    But both Strikas had almost the same colors. And Botcon Obsidian has a lot of grey on him, Oberon is a lot of blues instead.

The scheme isn't bad, I just would have preferred him to look like he does on the show. That appearance has no representation. Even the Takara version is a very deep turquoise or something.