Mastermind Creations Carnifex (Overlord)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CZ Hazard, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    This sounds blasphemous, but I never read "Last Stand of the Wreckers" - I just read .. About it.

I started up around the time of the end of the war/Dark Cybertron/Shockwave event and have read from there.

So if you don't feel like getting absolutely everything, that is a good place to start up :) 

2. AniCosmos

AniCosmos Well-Known Member

News Credits:

MMC's site states that he comes with a "spare grinning face"

COLLECTION - Mastermind Creations

It looks like he will come with options for swapping out two different face looks.

3. GammaRay

GammaRay Well-Known Member

I haven't read any of the comics but I think it's a magnificent figure in any case. Very nice colors, his stance is awesome, his transformation is interesting (two vehicles into one robit!). He doesn't seem to have his breast friends from the original toy but oh well.

4. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

He wants a more Masterforce inspired face. The other included face is still very much based off IDW's interpretation.

I've been saying people should start a poll to find out the demand for the Masterforce face, so as to show MMC hard evidence that there is a market for it.

...But no one ever listens to the guy with the clap...

5. Honesty

News Credits:
    Reason probably being, this looks way more IDW inspired, rather than G1. MMC has been making (and continues to make) fantastic IDW representations of characters. This is also part of their reformatted like (not OX aka "masterpiece"), just like the rest of their large scale chug characters.

Don't get me wrong. Options are great. Maybe they will eventually include a face with not much detail and a thin slit for a mouth (not trying to be offensive - just how it was drawn/animated).

LazyAza mentioned down the line, they will (probably?) be making tiny people who fit into his chest or something - maybe in that pack, there will be an alternate face for people who prefer G1.

I just don't think the IDW fans have much of a desire or urge MMC to make changes/add more things to their plate; especially when it seems like it's so full already.

6. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I don't know jack shit about the idw universe. Maybe one day I'll get into it. Don't matter cause a awesome toy is still an awesome toy

7. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Do we have a firm release date or cost yet?

8. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

You just can't make for IDW fans if you want the most amount of money, you have to appeal to everyone. Truthfully I don't care. I never saw Masterforce, and I want an IDW Overlord, but I recognize that it doesn't hurt to ask MMC no matter how full their plates. Plus what LazyAza said was confirmed by deaculpa to be just speculation on his part. For all anyone knows MMC is currently including the powermasters with their Overlord. So if people want a Masteforce head to go with those powermasters all in one potential shot they need to prove their is an audience for it.

9. o1dpain1ess

o1dpain1ess Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Likewise, I haven't read any of the comics, just some character descriptions etc. He's a badass character and an amazing looking figure, more than enough for me to buy!

Negative on both at the moment.

10. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

Oh my. I'm blushing and have the vapors

11. LiamK

LiamK Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of him. I thought he was beautiful, and he contained probably my favourite Headmaster figure, but the transformation was such a turn off for me that I ended up selling him. Oh well.

That's a hard call to make. I don't own the original G1 toy, but I get the impression that Terminus Hexatron is basically a posable, upscaled, more detailed version of that. There are some additions, like the swords and hubcap stars, but he appears to transform in basically the same way, so that's half your engineering done there.

Carnifex looks like he has less in common with the original Overlord toy, partly because it's taking the IDW version as its main inspiration. I don't think we've seen how it transforms yet, but it means that there's possibly more work to be done figuring that out. It's extra size also brings with it additional engineering problems.

Star Saber isn't really a good comparison, what with it being 1st v s 3rd party, but I wouldn't say he's THAT simple. You've got the Brainmaster, small robot, and large robot all combining, which is bound to be more work.

Short version... it's hard to say until we've seen everything the toy can do. He does look gorgeous though, and if he's a similar price to Terminus Hexatron, I'll probably bite.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    Just a quick thought, IF MMC are planning on selling a Giga and Mega separately, then a Masterforce styled head could come with them! That way both the IDW and the Masterforce folks can get exactly what they want out of Carnifex. :) 

13. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

I agree. I just want the IDW stuff. But if MMC does come out and say they are definitely going to make what's their names, Mega? Giga? then people have to let them know there is a market for the head as well. Right now that is just speculation. There is just as much chance of them making it later as there is of them including it with the release.

I don't want it, but I want those who do to be able to get it.

14. Honesty

News Credits:
    Yeah ... Don't think anyone thought of this. MMC may very well be selling two different versions of this guy.

EDIT: Just thought I'd throw this out there...

I realize a lot of you G1'ers want nothing but G1; but can you please let us have SOME things? You guys got the G1 bricks and 30 more years of reincarnations of these characters.

I can't count how many times I hear about how much IDW "sucks" or something from the toy sections or even sometimes here in 3P land. And when they say it "sucks" it actually means "uh no I never actual sat down and read more than 3 pages/1 issue. I'm old. g1 or GTFO"

15. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Isn't that something you should be saying to those "G1'ers"? If that is a discussion that's happening somewhere, speak your piece there instead of trying to churn up drama here.
    And really, would an extra head and pair of powermasters seriously ruin the Idwness of this figure? They're called "options" for a reason.

16. Honesty

News Credits:
    I have no problems with options. Especially for this character.

And in not trying to stir up drama as I have never done so before and don't plan on doing any time soon.

I'm just mentioning. I can guarantee when and if SXS ever throws us an update on their MTMTE Rodimus, the peanut gallery from the news section will pop in here and mention how much they wish it was MP/MP scaled/G1 instead.

Like I said. Just wish we could have somethings without people begging for G1 stuff. I don't go into the movie toy threads and ask for an IDW representation or the G1/MP threads and beg for classic scale.

17. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Then save it for the peanut gallery.

18. LiamK

LiamK Well-Known Member

MMC did do a second run of Hexatron that was more <i>Headmasters</i>-styled. Not that the original was especially IDW styled, but there is something of a precident.

In terms of the IDW-ness of the toyline, it depends where you look. Masterpiece is pretty much exactly G1-Sunbrow, but in the CHUG line we've had an IDW Springer, an IDW Ultra Magnus (with a freaking Minimus Ambus), and at least two IDW Starscreams (although that's more a case of the comic following the toys). Windblade, Skids, Brainstorm... all IDW.

You could say that you'd prefer your figures in a larger scale, and that's a legitimate wish. I'd like Windblade et al to be a bit bigger (or at least the size Deluxe's used to be a decade ago), but the CHUG line and comic are definitely intertwined at this point.

19. Honesty

News Credits:
    Yes, boss.

Oh trust me. I wish she were more articulated and bigger also. I don't like any of the small sized chug stuff. My large scale chug/IDW collection all scales very nicely with MMCs stuff.

20. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

This figure is one character I know/care about the least but am most intrigued about.